Dude? Is Bigfoot real?

Steve9347

link

Body proves Bigfoot no myth, hunters say

art.thawedcreature.cnn.jpg

(CNN) -- A policeman and a former corrections officer say that on Friday they will unveil evidence of what they claim is their biggest find ever: the body of Bigfoot.

Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, a pair of Bigfoot-hunting hobbyists from north Georgia, say they found the creature's body in a wooded area and spotted several similar creatures that were still alive.

The carcass of the furry half-man, half-ape is 7 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs more than 500 pounds, they say. However, the two are not disclosing the exact location of their discovery to protect the remaining creatures.

Tom Nelson, chairman of the biology department at North Georgia College and State University in Dahlonega, said he's "pretty skeptical" the world will feast its eyes on a new species Friday.

"That would certainly rock mammalogy," joked Nelson, who specializes in the study of mammals. "I see a research grant in my future."

Whitton and Dyer plan to unveil what they say is DNA and photo evidence of the discovery in Palo Alto, California, in conjunction with a group called Searching for Bigfoot Inc.

A photograph on that group's Web site shows what appears to be the body of a large, hairy creature with an ape-like face, stuffed into a large freezer.

According to a written release, the two announced the discovery on an Internet radio show, "Squatch Detective," several weeks ago. iReport.com: Do you believe in Bigfoot?

"The only person we would allow to come down and verify the body was 'the Real Bigfoot Hunter,' Tom Biscardi," Dyer said, referring to Searching for Bigfoot's CEO, who has been looking for the elusive, legendary creature in the United States and Canada since 1971.

Whitton is a Georgia police officer who is on administrative leave after being shot in the wrist during a pursuit. Dyer is a former prison guard.

DNA tests on the body have begun, said the statement, and "extensive scientific studies" will be done on the body by scientists, including a molecular biologist, an anthropologist and a paleontologist.

Nelson, the university professor, acknowledged that new species of animals have been discovered in recent decades and that, in science, "we always acknowledge the possibility of something new."

But he said that even in north Georgia, home to the Blue Ridge Mountains and the foot of the Appalachian Trail, it stretches the imagination to think a family of 7-foot-tall creatures could have eluded hunters, hikers and creeping development until now.

"To the average person, these places just seem like extreme wilderness where you'll find lions and tigers and bears," he said. "The reality is that you're never more than a mile from a road."

The group says the animal is male, has reddish hair and "blackish-gray" eyes and human-like feet, hands and teeth.

CNN's Doug Gross contributed to this report.

Let me just say, this thing is going beyond hoax. This body has been confirmed as existing and it's being tested. My buddy called me because it was legitimately on CNN.

How f***ed up would that be if Bigfoot actually existed? Regardless, since it's probably a hoax, it's a pretty good one.

Edited by Steve9347

I guess we will see what happens when scientists really see the evidence. These guys are being awful secretive about the location of the body and the spot where they found it, I want people to really see what this is.

Unfortunately, the face on it looks a lot like the gorilla halloween masks, So im not really buying it.

The thing I dont get if(and it probably is) it is a hoax is the reasoning behind it. They may be "good ole boys" from Georgia, but one of them is a cop, Im sure he understands that perpetrating a hoax like this wouldnt be very good for your image.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
The thing I dont get if(and it probably is) it is a hoax is the reasoning behind it. They may be "good ole boys" from Georgia, but one of them is a cop, Im sure he understands that perpetrating a hoax like this wouldnt be very good for your image.

Something about the term Cop from Georgia doesnt leave me with a good image.Those small town southern cops can get away with anything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Something about the term Cop from Georgia doesnt leave me with a good image.Those small town southern cops can get away with anything.

Im not talking about getting away with anything. Either it is a Bigfoot, or its a hoax. If its a hoax, why embarrass yourself like that? its one thing to show the neighborhood kids, its a completely different story getting CNN.com updates

I guess that Biscardi guy is NOT a well known, well respected, Bigfoot hunter. In fact, he is actually regarded as a scam artist in the Bigfoot world. I've been bouncing around numerous Bigfoot sites since this news conference and have yet to find anything positive said about the guy.

As much as I would love for this to be real, I also in a way hope it's not. Ever since I was a kid the idea of Bigfoot being real has creeped me out and is one of the things that if I see movies, tv shows, or read a book about the critter, I get the willies something fierce. That would be just my luck. I could have a fear of werewolves, vampires, zombies, whatever. But nope, the one "imaginary" thing I DO actually have a fear of turns out to be real. PLUS they take a sample of the guy and find HUMAN DNA in there!!! Sure, they find the possum DNA and rationalize it by saying that he probably ate a possum!!! So how do you explain the human DNA!?! Yeah, they find one of the bastards finally and it turns out he EATS PEOPLE!

I am never leaving my house if that thing proves to be real. F**k*r might eat me.

not much of a surprise here.......

PALO ALTO, California (Reuters) - Bigfoot remains as elusive as ever.

Results from tests on genetic material from alleged remains of one of the mythical half-ape and half-human creatures, made public at a news conference on Friday held after the claimed discovery swept the Internet, failed to prove its existence.

Its spread was fuelled by a photograph of a hairy heap, bearing a close resemblance to a shaggy full-body gorilla costume, stuffed into a container resembling a refrigerator.

One of the two samples of DNA said to prove the existence of the Bigfoot came from a human and the other was 96 percent from an opossum, according to Curt Nelson, a scientist at the University of Minnesota who performed the DNA analysis.

Bigfoot creatures are said to live in the forests of the U.S. Pacific Northwest. An opossum is a marsupial about the size of a house cat.

Results of the DNA tests were revealed in an e-mail from Nelson and distributed at the Palo Alto, California, news conference held by Tom Biscardi, host of a weekly online radio show about the Bigfoot.

Also present were Matthew Whitton and Rick Dyer, the two who say they discovered the Bigfoot corpse while hiking in the woods of northern Georgia. They also are co-owners of a company that offers Bigfoot merchandise.

Despite the dubious photo and the commercial interests of the alleged discoverers, the Bigfoot claim drew interest from Australia to Europe and even The New York Times.

Biscardi said the DNA samples may not have been taken correctly and may have been contaminated, and that he would proceed with an autopsy of the alleged Bigfoot remains, currently in a freezer at an undisclosed location.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
A possum is pretty far from bigfoot on the evolutionary scale.

Like I said in my post, they claim that it might have been what he ate since the samples they took came from the intestine. But this also means it probably eats people since the other DNA testing came back as human.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I guess that Biscardi guy is NOT a well known, well respected, Bigfoot hunter. In fact, he is actually regarded as a scam artist in the Bigfoot world. I've been bouncing around numerous Bigfoot sites since this news conference and have yet to find anything positive said about the guy.

As much as I would love for this to be real, I also in a way hope it's not. Ever since I was a kid the idea of Bigfoot being real has creeped me out and is one of the things that if I see movies, tv shows, or read a book about the critter, I get the willies something fierce. That would be just my luck. I could have a fear of werewolves, vampires, zombies, whatever. But nope, the one "imaginary" thing I DO actually have a fear of turns out to be real. PLUS they take a sample of the guy and find HUMAN DNA in there!!! Sure, they find the possum DNA and rationalize it by saying that he probably ate a possum!!! So how do you explain the human DNA!?! Yeah, they find one of the bastards finally and it turns out he EATS PEOPLE!

I am never leaving my house if that thing proves to be real. F**k*r might eat me.

Post of the Year. I was in riots during that last paragraph Kid.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Shocking.I mean,cmon now guys we are talking about BIGFOOT that is like saying there may be proof the toothfairy exists.Her wings were found on someones sattelite dish.How could anyone have fallen for this? :huh

Being someone who is interested in cryptozoology, I take issue with this statement. We arent talking about a fairy or a magical creature, we are talking about a creature that could possibly have escaped being identified by science. Just in the last month there was a discovery of lowland gorillas in africa that doubled the estimated population. They went from almost being completely gone(many were saying they were not far from complete extinction) to a gigantic population stuck in a remote corner of africa that nobody ever came in contact with.

While i understand that the possibility of such a bigfoot creature is so tiny, so remote that it is hardly worth believing at all, I also think that there must be some strange reason that tales of Bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti have been passed along for hundreds of years all over the entire world. There are places in North America that are extremely hard to get at by foot, there are mountain chains in asia that are almost impossible to get into, so there is a tiny little bit that a sasquatch/bigfoot/yeti could exist somewhere in the world.

Do I think it exists? Probably not. To go this long without a body being found anywhere really makes it a hard case to get behind. Do I think this is "Oh man, we were so dumb, this is like believing in the tooth fairy.", no, I dont think its like that at all.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)

ohmyfokinggawd, just the mere thought that there is a "respectable Bigfoot hunting community" has me rolling around laughing.

That's Gold, Jerry! GOLD!!!

:lolhitting

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Being someone who is interested in cryptozoology, I take issue with this statement. We arent talking about a fairy or a magical creature, we are talking about a creature that could possibly have escaped being identified by science. Just in the last month there was a discovery of lowland gorillas in africa that doubled the estimated population. They went from almost being completely gone(many were saying they were not far from complete extinction) to a gigantic population stuck in a remote corner of africa that nobody ever came in contact with.

While i understand that the possibility of such a bigfoot creature is so tiny, so remote that it is hardly worth believing at all, I also think that there must be some strange reason that tales of Bigfoot/sasquatch/yeti have been passed along for hundreds of years all over the entire world. There are places in North America that are extremely hard to get at by foot, there are mountain chains in asia that are almost impossible to get into, so there is a tiny little bit that a sasquatch/bigfoot/yeti could exist somewhere in the world.

Do I think it exists? Probably not. To go this long without a body being found anywhere really makes it a hard case to get behind. Do I think this is "Oh man, we were so dumb, this is like believing in the tooth fairy.", no, I dont think its like that at all.

Dude I loved Harry and the Hendersons just as much as the next guy but doesnt it feel just a little bit silly to put so much energy towards some myth?Iam not saying you are a dumb person because you are into this,its just a dumb fantasy IMO.