L me

whitesoxbrian

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Why couldn't the A's have just called for a squeeze?

The game was lost before that. The Brian Anderson baserunning play, Uribe's error giving them a free run, Octavio Dotel's pitch selection, even Alexei falling down at 1st base. We just gift wrapped this one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
No, Floyd really didn't deserve better.

He gave up one dinger (2 runs)...what the hell else do you want. Dotel pitches one friggin inning and gives up just as many runs. Damn... Personally I'd rather have stretched Thornton another inning. But in hindsight...if this team scores more than 3 runs...in one goddamn inning Floyd wouldn't have been yanked. Every damn game this team scores run(S) in the first inning...it's sure as s*** they won't do crap for the next 6 or 7.

Losses like these tend to breed losing streaks. If we win tomorrow, that obviously is negated. Every team will have games like this, who has the shortest memory? A game ahead of Minnesota or tied is not relevant, if we can't outplay them by one game the rest of the season we don't deserve the playoffs. As I have said previously, if we play near our potential we'll have this thing in the bag.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 04:57 AM)
The game was lost before that, and even before the 9th inning. The Brian Anderson baserunning play, Uribe's error giving them a free run, Octavio Dotel's pitch selection, even Alexei falling down at 1st base. We just gift wrapped this one.

Yep, it was the typical Sox loss at Oakland. I know this is nit-picky, but why was CQ playing Suzuki so far off the LF line? I thought Suzuki's foul ball was going to be an easy play for Quentin. With Carrasco's sweeping offspeed pitches, you need to play the line more.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 04:58 AM)
He gave up one dinger (2 runs)...what the hell else do you want. Dotel pitches one friggin inning and gives up just as many runs. Damn... Personally I'd rather have stretched Thornton another inning. But in hindsight...if this team scores more than 3 runs...in one goddamn inning Floyd wouldn't have been yanked. Every damn game this team scores run(S) in the first inning...it's sure as s*** they won't do crap for the next 6 or 7.

I'd like to see him go at least 6 innings against a bad hitting team. He "deserved" to give up like 5 runs tonight. However, it's a testament to how far he's come this year. Last year, we would have been happier than hell for him to go 5 2/3-1 ER.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:59 PM)
Losses like these tend to breed losing streaks. If we win tomorrow, that obviously is negated. Every team will have games like this, who has the shortest memory? A game ahead of Minnesota or tied is not relevant, if we can't outplay them by one game the rest of the season we don't deserve the playoffs. As I have said previously, if we play near our potential we'll have this thing in the bag.

Well THIS post I agree with. You can't get back a win that you should have but don't though, and that is why tonight's loss is just unbearable. Tomorrow's game is of supreme importance though, we need to get this loss on the backburner.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
You do realize this division could come down to one game right? And that if we lose two out of three this weekend, it's because of that game. And that Minnesota is now tied with us instead of one game back because we just gift wrapped a win for Oakland and begged them to take it.

But sure, if we win tomorrow, and are forced to play a rubber match Sunday instead of look for a sweep, this game doesn't matter. Ok.

and that's what everyone who brushes off a gift wrapped collapse like this is failing to realize, we've been +/-1 game with MN for as long as I can remember now, and every single loss IS in fact a HUGE issue. MN is could easily go 6-0 on their trampodomestand, and it is not at all improbable that we finsh 5 days from now down down 3-4 games, just...like...that. Dotel absolutely sucked beyond recognition tonight, grooving that 0-2 down the middle was about as pathetic as it comes, the offense (PK in particular) could have blown it wide open early and let yet another no name, who we should have annihilated, off the hook. There's just no way we can afford to have a Floyd against Nobody game be an L at this stage, we all know the last week of the season will be a massive nailbiter, mark this game down in your books fellas

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
The game was lost before that. The Brian Anderson baserunning play, Uribe's error giving them a free run, Octavio Dotel's pitch selection, even Alexei falling down at 1st base. We just gift wrapped this one.

Ozzie not bringing in Ramirez, a junk thrower, to Cust.....

This was very reminiscent of the Twins series at the dome...getting beat by the 2 guys in the lineup who can beat you.

I understand that Oz is reluctant to give free bases; we've seen numerous examples since he came on board. But ya know, it's never too late to change your strategy and pitch around/IBB the guy in the lineup who can hurt you.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 05:02 AM)
This was very reminiscent of the Twins series at the dome...getting beat by the 2 guys in the lineup who can beat you.

I understand that Oz is reluctant to give free bases; we've seen numerous examples since he came on board. But ya know, it's never too late to change your strategy and pitch around/IBB the guy in the lineup who can hurt you.

Like I said in the game thread, Ozzie needs to treat Cust like he would Matt Stairs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 10:52 PM)
Considering how awful the Sox have looked at the Twinkie Dome this season, my philosophy is we're 3 games back in the standings but we don't play the Twins again this year.

NEXT 4 SERIES FOR SOX & TWINKIES

MY PREDICTIONS!

SOX & TWINS

TIE: 68-53 (15/.500) 121 games

W:WINS

GP:GAMES PLAYED

CHICAGO

(W/GP)

3 OAK ROAD(2/3)+1

3 SEA HOME(3/3)+3

3 TB HOME(2/3)+1

4 BAL ROAD(2/4)+0

9-4

MINNESOTA

(W/GP)

3 SEA HOME(2/3)+1

3 OAK HOME(2/3)+1

4 LAA ROAD(1/4)-2

3 SEA ROAD(2/3)+1

7-6

SOX UP 2 GAMES

DONT STOP BELIEVIN'

:gosox3: :gosox3:

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
Not just saying this because I'm pissed off right now, but I haven't been 100% completely sold on this team at any point this year. We still might win the division (we're extremely fortunate the Tigers and Indians dropped off the face of the planet). But I don't think this team is really THAT good. We look good at times when were we go HR derby on everybody. But this isn't a high level I.Q. team.

the pisser is if BA doesn't get thrown out on this nice grab at home, we get Jenks in the 9th, even with Dotels f-ups, and likely end up with the W

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
I'd like to see him go at least 6 innings against a bad hitting team. He "deserved" to give up like 5 runs tonight. However, it's a testament to how far he's come this year. Last year, we would have been happier than hell for him to go 5 2/3-1 ER.

I'd like to see us actually learn how to pitch to friggin Cust who seems to be the only guy on that team that hurts us consistantly (besides Street). AJ was terrible calling the game tonight in critical situations too IMO.

s***...now I'm gonna have to go to bed pissed off. I'll have a crappy night's sleep. I won't enjoy the sports page tomorrow morning. And on top of that I'll get f***ed out of tomorrow's game because I think it's FOX. Good thing I don't have a dog or I'd probably kick it in the ass about right now.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 05:05 AM)
I'd like to see us actually learn how to pitch to friggin Cust who seems to be the only guy on that team that hurts us consistantly (besides Street). AJ was terrible calling the game tonight in critical situations too IMO.

s***...now I'm gonna have to go to bed pissed off. I'll have a crappy night's sleep. I won't enjoy the sports page tomorrow morning. And on top of that I'll get f***ed out of tomorrow's game because I think it's FOX. Good thing I don't have a dog or I'd probably kick it in the ass about right now.

At least we don't have to listen to Hawk tomorrow.

Im gonna say the same thing that Ive said to any Marte fan. Dotel blows, he costs us games. When Joe Carter said the Sox have the best bullpen hes ever seen shows you, baseball is at a terrible state when a great says a teams weakness is the best in baseball history.

this loss looks like it hurts pretty badly. I wish just one time this team could open a road series and come out guns blazing. Win a road opener like 12-1 or something crazy like that.

Definitely looks like a game the team should have won and didn't, and while these games happen, they hurt badly. Dust yourself off and come back tomorrow.

Did I miss something? I didn't realize that when you lose this badly it counts as more or something. Can't win them all. We had several bloop hits, Gavin was on the edge of giving up a ton of runs at all times. We had some things go our way early, it isn't as if we thoroughly dominated them and pissed it all away at once. This is a game we deserved to lose, just like many others.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Did I miss something? I didn't realize that when you lose this badly it counts as more or something. Can't win them all. We had several bloop hits, Gavin was on the edge of giving up a ton of runs at all times. We had some things go our way early, it isn't as if we thoroughly dominated them and pissed it all away at once. This is a game we deserved to lose, just like many others.

You must have missed a lot, I wont claim doomsday but if you dont see the flaws this team has youre delusional. This should have been a win.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)

Eh, if the bullpen blows a lead, I wouldn't say you deserved to lose it in that sense of the phrase. They didn't play well but they played well enough to win for 7 innings and then blew it to hell. Good teams win games they aren't supposed to and bad teams lose games they should win. Where the Sox fit into that is anyone's opinion, but I think it's fair to say that this team hits the extremes pretty well as you rarely see them play a game anymore where they aren't playing very well or very poorly.

Considering how awful the Sox have looked at the Twinkie Dome this season, my philosophy is we're 3 games back in the standings but we don't play the Twins again this year.

I never thought of it that way, but Fathom is right. We are three back basically.

I don't want to bag on Uribe, but for all the Uribe lovers, you would have crucified Crede for dropping the pop up. Next pitch or two bam, Cust homer.

We sucked away that game. No doubt about it. Can we bounce back against this godawful team and the hack they are pitching tomorrow? Who knows? Horrible loss.

I still fear Frank and how he might single handedly beat us one of the next 2 games. He might connect against Danksey two or three times.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
I'm glad the team took their stupid pills today...

Seriously, 0-2 to Cust, and you throw a cookie fastball over the meat of the plate about belly-button height? WTF were you thinking Dotel?

The funny thing is that McDowell was advocating that Floyd do exactly that all game long, instead of nibbling and getting behind in the counts and having to make perfect pitches with 3-2 counts every time.

Getting beaten by Cust twice is similar to getting beaten by Morneau every time against the Twins. Morneau is the one guy you really have to pitch around...I mean, their #4 hitter is a guy named Carlos Gonzalez with four home runs. Yet, I'm not surprised. Actually, Jenks has blown a game or two against the A's over the years and I was fully expecting (and prepared for) Jenks to give up the lead somehow, despite how well he has pitched for most of this season.

Edited by caulfield12