L me

whitesoxbrian

Baseball has become several games within a game and we failed the late portion of the game when Dotel blew up. We had the game til he came in. He sucked and that was that. That Anderson play didn't help either, but had he stopped at third, Swish probalby woulda stranded him anyway. Hope we battle back not fold like we did after disapointing loss No. 1 in Wrigley.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:46 PM)
I don't think we've given one away quite like that all year. This team is just so damn stupid, it's truly incredible to watch. Some of the blame certainly goes on Ozzie and KW for putting together/managing a team that lacking in IQ, but also, the players take some blame too, because nobody should be that dumb. It's hard to enjoy a pennant race when you give away game after game after game you should win. The White Sox toughest opponent is themselves, and that is who will defeat them if we lose the division race, not the Twins. Just a horrible loss to a horrible team at a horrible stadium we can't win in.

Yes, shame on them for putting together a team with such a low IQ, man they are so stupid...........

It's just frustrating when we consistently have better teams than the Twins (you certainly can argue that this year's and the 2003 teams were better), yet we come up short time after time.

Those Twins teams just don't beat themselves...which we seem to do more than most other teams in baseball. Of course, the losses are more magnified when you listen/follow/watch your team's games throughout the course of a season, almost every inning.

Yes, the Twins lost two "easy" games they should have won in Seattle...no bullpen goes through the season without a blown save, but the Twins just seem to get more done with less, starting with their payroll. I suppose an argument can be made that we would be behind the Twins had they summoned Liriano a month earlier, that we would have lost four games at the Dome instead of taking one out of four while Hernandez was still in the rotation.

The bottom line is that they have five pitchers in their rotation that are 24-26 years old...we have two, neither one of which were our draft picks (Danks/Floyd). None of their pitchers were high (top 10 in the first round) draft picks. None of them have dominating stuff...with the exception of Liriano before his injury, and he came from SF for AJ. You can argue they had even more depth, enough to trade former late first rounder Matt Garza for D. Young and put Boof Bonser in the bullpen.

Players like Anderson and Ramirez just seem to make more mistakes than properly trained/coached baseball players like the Twins always seem to have...you look at their roster, they've lost Juan Rincon, Pat Neshek, Michael Cuddyer and Alexi Casilla for long stretches of this season, but they've almost always had internal options to replace those players. Who do we have? Nobody. Which is why you've seen the likes of DJ Carrasco and Horatio Ramirez trying to get key outs in recent Sox games...and why KW had to go out and spend millions on Linebrink and Dotel.

The closest thing we have/had to success stories in terms of producing minor league relievers are Wasserman, Logan and Adam Russell.

NOTE: Yes, I realize Alexei was playing in Cuba without much proper training and coaching, yet most of his pure baseball instincts are 100% better than minor leaguers who've been in our system 3-6 seasons.

Edited by caulfield12

so that wasn't a bad nightmare last night? dam i wish it really was...do any of our bullpen pitchers throw any pitches on the corners? it seems like all they do is miss by a lot or throw right down the middle. Ozzie should have walked Cust god dammit.

It was no doubt a horrible way to lose last night, but you guys have to expect s*** like this. We are not a complete baseball team at all since we have two brutal hitters every game at the bottom of the lineup, a depleted bullpen and inconsistent starters. We just need to get through this series, hopefully take the next two and remain tied or up one on the Twins. Look at their upcoming schedule, it's horrible and they suck on the road. They have played over their heads the entire year, they are bound for a bad streak because Denard Span and Brian Buscher are not .300+ hitters. They are gonna lose like 7/10 soon and the Sox just need to make sure they win at least 6/10 to get a little cushion. But since again this team is not even close to complete, they are gonna look like world-beaters one night and scum the next.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
It was no doubt a horrible way to lose last night, but you guys have to expect s*** like this. We are not a complete baseball team at all since we have two brutal hitters every game at the bottom of the lineup, a depleted bullpen and inconsistent starters. We just need to get through this series, hopefully take the next two and remain tied or up one on the Twins. Look at their upcoming schedule, it's horrible and they suck on the road. They have played over their heads the entire year, they are bound for a bad streak because Denard Span and Brian Buscher are not .300+ hitters. They are gonna lose like 7/10 soon and the Sox just need to make sure they win at least 6/10 to get a little cushion. But since again this team is not even close to complete, they are gonna look like world-beaters one night and scum the next.

I don't know how many times in the last decade someone has said something similar...

Luis Rivas, Doug Mientkiewicz, Christian Guzman, Denny Hocking, Jason Tyner, Lew Ford, Nick Punto, Brian Buscher, Denard Span, etc., are not .300 hitters.

How can a rotation with Slowey, Blackburn, Baker and Perkins be putting up similar numbers to our $35-40 million dollar rotation?

Well, we don't know what Span is...he's an athletic first round draft pick who has played above expectations, but who expected Alexei Ramirez to be a .300 hitter, perhaps the best White Sox hitter this season after Quentin and Dye?

We know that Uribe's not a great hitter, but who else are you referring to as "brutal"???

Ramirez has hit 8th for most of the season. Are you referring to Swisher? Konerko? Our offense isn't the problem, although it would certainly help if they were more consistent and put their foot on the necks of teams and garbage pitchers they should be crushing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
Brutal = Uribe and then Konerko and Griffey right now I would consider brutal.

How long have you been a White Sox fan?

If you remember Mark Johnson and Royce Clayton in 2001 and 2002, that would be the definition of a brutal bottom of the line-up.

Yeah, Konerko's not himself and Griffey's slumping big-time, but I don't think it's fair to call them "brutal."

Now if you were talking about Uribe and Brian Anderson in 2006, I would also agree with you.

I watched this debacle on WGN last night. It was a real jaw dropper. We give up 5 homers to the Oakland A's including three in the last two innings to lose.Defense was incredibly bad; we need speed so Ramirez gets picked off once and thrown out by awide margin trying to steal on another play. We get shut down after the first inning by an A's starter that has an ERA somewhere around a billion (slight exageration I admit) and the A's themsleves have been pathetic lately. They sure loked like a reincarnation of the old A's teams of the past. I think our hope is that when the Twinkies go on their 14 game road trip we start winning some games like we are capable of doing. The Twins are terrible on the road.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 08:40 AM)
Baseball has become several games within a game and we failed the late portion of the game when Dotel blew up. We had the game til he came in. He sucked and that was that. That Anderson play didn't help either, but had he stopped at third, Swish probalby woulda stranded him anyway. Hope we battle back not fold like we did after disapointing loss No. 1 in Wrigley.

Plus I think the thirdbase coach waved him in. Anderson did what he could and the throw was right there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
How long have you been a White Sox fan?

If you remember Mark Johnson and Royce Clayton in 2001 and 2002, that would be the definition of a brutal bottom of the line-up.

Yeah, Konerko's not himself and Griffey's slumping big-time, but I don't think it's fair to call them "brutal."

Now if you were talking about Uribe and Brian Anderson in 2006, I would also agree with you.

It's fair to say that Griffey is brutal. He can't run or catch up to fastballs; his only RBIs have come against KC, and most of his hits, none for extra bases.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:55 AM)
I never thought of it that way, but Fathom is right. We are three back basically.

I don't want to bag on Uribe, but for all the Uribe lovers, you would have crucified Crede for dropping the pop up. Next pitch or two bam, Cust homer.

We sucked away that game. No doubt about it. Can we bounce back against this godawful team and the hack they are pitching tomorrow? Who knows? Horrible loss.

I still fear Frank and how he might single handedly beat us one of the next 2 games. He might connect against Danksey two or three times.

Uribe lovers? I think there is only one of them on this site and he doesn't try to hide it. Mostly everybody else is just happy he's been playing well there lately.