Dean calls the Republican party the 'White Party"

EvilMonkey

“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more successful in the Democratic party than they are in the white, uh, excuse me, in the [laughs] Republican party.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBphPVIxRw

Also from that, "We just give more opportunity to folks who are, uh, are hard working people who are immigrants and come from members of minority groups". OK, Howard, the last 8 years of Democratic presidency featured how many minorities and/or immigrants in positions of power? How many cabinet members, appointments, etc.? Just curious.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Interesting way to spell "calls." :P

Yeah, my fat, arthritic fingers often hit more than one key at a time. Now, imagine if ANYONE conected with the RNC called the Dem party the black party, and then chuckled about it afterwards. I envision 20 pages of posts, at least, about 200 editorials, Olbermann getting one step closer to a heart attack (assuming he actually HAS a heart) and the Nutroots going ballistic with front page posts on DU, KOS and HuffPo.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 08:32 AM)
Dean showing again what we all knew. He's good at putting together strategies, which have helped the Dem party raise such strong ground games at the grass roots level lately. But he's terrible in front of a camera.

That's a good description. I agree with that.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 06:58 AM)
I guess he hasn't been looking at the movement of Hispanics towards the GOP. Idiot.

That movement had a sudden about face in 2006. The GOP will be lucky to get more than 33% of the Hispanic vote this year, instead of the 40% they got in 04.

The GOP is as much a rainbow as the Dems. The GOP just doesn't promote it that way. And with the pressure on minorities to vote Dem, I imagine there are a lot of GOP voting minorities. It is just the GOP doesn't trot them out for a photo op and make examples of them.

2004 Exit Polls:

White (77%): Bush 58%, Kerry 41%

African-American (11%): Bush 11% , Kerry 88%

Latino (8%): Bush 44%, Kerry 53%

Asian (2%): Bush 44%, Kerry 56%

Other (2%): Bush 40%, Kerry 54%

SO, the Republican Party is "whiter", and the democratic party is "darker". But it is not the "white party".

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
with the exception of African-Americans, those numbers are not a major difference.

And which President has appointed more African americans to positions of power, the one from the 'white' party or the all-inclusive one? Hell, the DNC even hates gays (or at least Dean seems to).

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
And which President has appointed more African americans to positions of power, the one from the 'white' party or the all-inclusive one? Hell, the DNC even hates gays (or at least Dean seems to).

Exactly. Dozens and dozens of them. And I'll bet if you look at all of his appointments it would number in the hundreds.

Haha funny. My state has roughly 3% blacks. If they don't want to be in Iowa that's their problem, we're some of the friendliest people in the country, which is a reason why there are a tremendous amount of Hispanics moving into areas, so the Hispanics say anyways. Obviously I am not referring to appointments. I wasn't surprised about the blacks differential, I was surprised to see the slim margin for other races. Let's wait for 3 years before complaining that we're the first Caucus or Primary and you're not. And Iowa is still my home state, haha.

Edited by WilliamTell

Howard might want to visit Florida. I go there quite a bit, have a lot of friends down there, and it's a pretty important state to the democrats if they want the golden child in the white house. By the way, there are a lot of hispanic republicans down there. Hundreds of thousands of them, if not into the million category. Although ignorance is bliss, thus it's no wonder Dean was so amused as he made this comment.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
The GOP is as much a rainbow as the Dems. The GOP just doesn't promote it that way. And with the pressure on minorities to vote Dem, I imagine there are a lot of GOP voting minorities. It is just the GOP doesn't trot them out for a photo op and make examples of them.

Ok, I'm going to stir the pot here.

As I watched the RNC I saw like 8 people who weren't white. :huh

I noticed the people waving the cowboy hats more than anything else. There weren't a whole lot of minority speakers, not because the GOP didn't let them or anything, but because there really weren't that many to choose from. That's just how it is, really.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Ok, I'm going to stir the pot here.

As I watched the RNC I saw like 8 people who weren't white. :huh

I noticed the people waving the cowboy hats more than anything else. There weren't a whole lot of minority speakers, not because the GOP didn't let them or anything, but because there really weren't that many to choose from. That's just how it is, really.

The democratic party has a LOT more african-american voters because they've somehow convinced a lot of voters from that group that even despite how the republican party was started in the first place, the GOP hates black people. Besides african-americans, both parties have a pretty equal amount of diversity, it's just that one group that the democrats have put into a trance to almost exclusively vote for them. I mean there are certainly african-americans that vote for the democrats due to the issue, but I think some just do it because "everybody else does". That's just the view of the white guy though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101