What has happend to soxtalk???

soxbearsbulls

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Would you agree that this is the reason the winner's postgame threads are shorter than the loser threads? I know that's a common complaint by some people on here, and it just seems like the nature of the beast that there's more diverse opinions about a game that your team loses compared to the euphoria when they win.

People who complain that the loser threads are longer than the winner threads don't understand the nature of sports. Any coach will tell you that there is a lot more to digest and analyze when you lose a game than there is when you win one, and that is true. When you lose, there are things to second guess, things that went wrong to analyze, coaching decisions to criticize, ways to look at how the team can improve next game. On the other hand, when you win, there just isn't much to say. They played well so how much can you anaylze that, not much to criticize because they won, on to the next game. Fanbases who can talk as much about winning as losing as typically fanbases like the Cubs, who don't know what winning feels like.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
People who complain that the loser threads are longer than the winner threads don't understand the nature of sports. Any coach will tell you that there is a lot more to digest and analyze when you lose a game than there is when you win one, and that is true. When you lose, there are things to second guess, things that went wrong to analyze, coaching decisions to criticize, ways to look at how the team can improve next game. On the other hand, when you win, there just isn't much to say. They played well so how much can you anaylze that, not much to criticize because they won, on to the next game. Fanbases who can talk as much about winning as losing as typically fanbases like the Cubs, who don't know what winning feels like.

Personally, I usually go out for dessert after a Sox win, which takes me away from the computer for a while. :D

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
In short, I ask each and every member here at Soxtalk to try and do one thing, show respect to your fellow poster (whether they have 50,000 posts or 1 post).

to me there is nothing more d.b.-ish in the world of message boards than criticizing a person over their post count.

this is only slight ahead of questioning someone's fan-hood when they are critical of the team. the term "true fan" is wack.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
You used to post at nfl-fans? Under what name?

Same name. I only had like 150 posts though; I lurked a lot. Really when I was brought over here, I stopped posting over there all together.

I also wonder what happened to the site. I went looking for it around draft time and it definitely isn't the same as I remember.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Same name. I only had like 150 posts though; I lurked a lot. Really when I was brought over here, I stopped posting over there all together.

I also wonder what happened to the site. I went looking for it around draft time and it definitely isn't the same as I remember.

I sent you the link to the new site also. I didn't realize there were so many nfl-fans posters on this site. The site that you get redirected to is NOT nfl-fans btw, but they did buy that domain name. Like I said it's a long story (I posted it a couple pages ago)

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
to me there is nothing more d.b.-ish in the world of message boards than criticizing a person over their post count.

this is only slight ahead of questioning someone's fan-hood when they are critical of the team. the term "true fan" is wack.

Post count seems to be fairly important to some people. I remember when there was a possibilty that the board would reset and all post counts would be lost. That was met with a lot of resistance just on the fact of losing post counts. The thread is lingering around here somewhere.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
Post count seems to be fairly important to some people. I remember when there was a possibilty that the board would reset and all post counts would be lost. That was met with a lot of resistance just on the fact of losing post counts. The thread is lingering around here somewhere.

That could be another reason the bored has "slown" down, if it even has. Possibly not as many people care about post counts as they did a few years ago. There were some people in the past that posted just to post and brought nothing to the topic, just an "I agree" or something to add another post.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
That could be another reason the bored has "slown" down, if it even has. Possibly not as many people care about post counts as they did a few years ago. There were some people in the past that posted just to post and brought nothing to the topic, just an "I agree" or something to add another post.

i agree - i WILL say that i feel the level activity has gone up in the SLM/Buster more so than in the Pale Hose forums, in fact, i think there may even be more non-sox related conversation on here than sox related. but i also agree with whoever said it that the quality of the sox-related stuff is great. I mean, statman is awesome. and there's almost always something new from him every day.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)

i guess i just never got the fascination. i remember when i first started posting message boards and i reached 1,000 for the first time i posted an "i reached 1,000 posts" thread. i got all kinds of congrats and was warm and fuzzy and all that. then later i thought, "what exactly is it that i'm proud of?"

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)

I agree.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 06:26 PM)
Why?

well even tho i still love the guy (it's like when someone in your family does something bad... and ya still technically love 'em) i feel like i should probably retire the sig.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:41 PM)
well even tho i still love the guy (it's like when someone in your family does something bad... and ya still technically love 'em) i feel like i should probably retire the sig.

No way, it it more original this way. Just line thru the 08 and put 12.

I didn't read this whole thread, but I'll chime in having been a member of the board for a while now....

The one thing that REALLY separated this site from the other guys was the unfiltered, say whatever the hell needs to be said aspect. If I felt like dropping 16 F-bombs after a tough loss and have sympathetic ears, this is where I could come and read posts from others who were just as pissed off as I was, maybe more if they had 17 F-bombs in their post.

For the most part, this board seems to attract a much younger crowd and yet the rules are fit for a family site. I used to like the attitude that said, "hey, if you don't like it, you don't have to stay". Now it seems as if there is a whole bunch of coddling going on to attract new posters, as if the profanity and unedited content was scaring away new members. I think we've kind of seen what the effects have been...it is slower here.

It's a damn shame too because baseball minds like Kalapse, DBAHO, CHISOXFN, BHAM Barons, PTATC, and MANY others are being kept to the eyes of less 'viewers' as newcomers see more activity on WSI and choose that board.

Not that I really give a s***....I'm still here and happy to be here and will always be here. I just wish there was more new blood and more, eh, animated conversations to be shared.

specifically the past two weeks seem to be pretty busy for a very young group of posters that very much make up a large part of this site.

I don't really see soxtalk going down hill at all. Still the best sox message board I've found in terms of prospects and analysis. Around my friends I know the most about the Sox, for the most part, on here, I just read and react because some are so great at explaining the team and game to me.

I think there is a simple explanation for the "slow down:" not much to say that hasn't been said. What I mean is, when someone posts I can almost predict the reaction. I'm sure other people can too. I think this is why there is more activity in the non-baseball forums where conversations aren't as predictable...or so it seems to me.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
I think there is a simple explanation for the "slow down:" not much to say that hasn't been said. What I mean is, when someone posts I can almost predict the reaction. I'm sure other people can too. I think this is why there is more activity in the non-baseball forums where conversations aren't as predictable...or so it seems to me.

and you see the people are still there when something like the KGJ trade happens.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
I'm sad.

No one got my Austin Powers reference. :(

DAMNIT! i totally did but i didn't respond cuz i figured in 9 pages SOMEONE must have.

at least you can take solace in the fact that ONE person did. and i applaud your reference.

more hugs ST :wub:

Seriesly major lurker here. I try to visit the site daily. I, for the most part, gain knowledge reading posts here and I get a good chuckle every now and then. I may or have not visited wsi, I don't remember. Didn't leave an impression if I did i guess.

My answer to the original poster: quality over quantity.