Chicago 2016?

There'd be a third airport pretty quick as well, I think.

I'd love Chicago to get the games. I've not lived there (but close enough, I suppose) like most of you have, but I've been there enough to know what a boost it would give the city (see Atlanta as well).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended many events during the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympics, and it was great, not only for the people, but for the City of L.A. as well.......

L.A. already had many venues in place, even some from the 1932 Games, like the L.A. Memorial Coleseum, we were ready to roll........

And roll we did, tons of money poured in duing those games.......

Smog in The Valley was nonexsistent, so was freeway traffic, it made you wish it could be like that all the time.........

Crime? What crime? Very few incidents were reported during those 2 weeks, if i remember correctly..........

Chicago's a great city, deserves to be a World stage, and i hope that she's awarded the 2016 Games........

I for one will come back to the City of my birth again, just to be a part of the history that will be the 31st. Olympiad, Chicago style.........

Chi-Town will be rockin' for sure........

If Obama wins, Jesse jr. will push hard for hte Peotone airport.

Obama would be a huge promotional factor for the city.

People that bithc about the games will b**** about anything.

I still would like them to built a retractable stadium that could be used for Super Bowls, Final Fours, and inclimate weather baseball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
All the above. Bring it on.

Among the finalists, there is really only one city that I think will give Chicago a run for their money - Rio. Tokyo tries for it every damn cycle, and Nagano just had a winter Olympics, plus Beijing in the region. Europe goes in 2012, no way they go again in 2016. That leaves Chicago and Rio. South America has NEVER had an olympics, which gives Rio a huge boost. But, Rio also has huge crime problems and other issues that may prevent it.

Go Chicago!

Also, i dont know if this would factor into the decision or not, but I think it is worth noting that Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup. Obviously it would be spread a bit across the country but Rio undoubtedly will be one of the main focus cities.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:55 AM)
Those Kenyan distance runners need a few Italian Beef/Sausage Combos.

Maybe it will bring the idea of a "Beef" or "Combo" to the world stage...I love that anyone I know not from Chicago doesn't know what the hell I am talking about. There is a place here in Denver called "Chicago" and they sell beefs worthy of being sold downtown chicago. They also sell neon relish, vienna beef products, butter cookies (which I thought were national but after seeing them there and asking friends if they knew what they were I guess they are not)

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
Maybe it will bring the idea of a "Beef" or "Combo" to the world stage...I love that anyone I know not from Chicago doesn't know what the hell I am talking about. There is a place here in Denver called "Chicago" and they sell beefs worthy of being sold downtown chicago. They also sell neon relish, vienna beef products, butter cookies (which I thought were national but after seeing them there and asking friends if they knew what they were I guess they are not)

Thats good, because in alot of areas their "Chicago" style food is nothing of the sort. There are several in Florida that really dont know what they are serving as well as AZ.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
If we held the games who should tight the torch? (I know a LOT can happen between now and then) But if it were today, who would it be?

Outgoing President Barack Obama?

Mayor for life Daley?

Michael "going for gold medal number 30" Phelps?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:14 AM)
Jordan. No way does a politician get this honor.

I agree with no to a politician also, but I also say no to MJ. Someone without dirty laundry to dig up would be a wiser choice. Today a member of either the Sox or Cubs would do. And for 2016 I'm sure a member of the 2015 World Champ White Sox will be worthy.

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I agree with no to a politician also, but I also say no to MJ. Someone without dirty laundry to dig up would be a wiser choice. Today a member of either the Sox or Cubs would do. And for 2016 I'm sure Carlos Quentin, on his 8th ring and a member of the 2015 World Champ White Sox will be worthy.

Fixed.