Chicago 2016?

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I agree with no to a politician also, but I also say no to MJ. Someone without dirty laundry to dig up would be a wiser choice. Today a member of either the Sox or Cubs would do. And for 2016 I'm sure a member of the 2015 World Champ White Sox will be worthy.

Carlos Quentin :ph34r:

But I thought an athlete from the USA does it and not someone who played/lived in the host city

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
I agree with no to a politician also, but I also say no to MJ. Someone without dirty laundry to dig up would be a wiser choice. Today a member of either the Sox or Cubs would do. And for 2016 I'm sure a member of the 2015 World Champ White Sox will be worthy.

I hear ya Steff, but as of today who would a better representive of Chicago than MJ?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 02:52 AM)
I hear ya Steff, but as of today who would a better representive of Chicago than MJ?

As I said above, if it must be a sports "star", there are many to choose from who aren't cheaters and compulsive gamblers with strong questions of their actions being related to the murder of their father and having been banned from the sport that made them famous for a year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
We won't try to. It will be a different kind of games.

I agree. China saw the Olympics as sort of a coming-out party, and really went all out on the ceremonies. We don't really have to. This might be the first time Chicago ever hosted an Olympics but it still ain't our first rodeo.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 03:52 AM)

It's usually more about the host nation than the host city, though, right? MJ fits as a national icon AND as a former gold medal-winning Olympian, but if they passed him over for someone else, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a Chicago icon.

I go to read the comments on the Tribune articles - which is a mistake, because the "comments" sections on news sites are generally a haven for some of the dumbest people in America to express their feelings - and I see tons of naysayers, crybabies, and Chicago-haters mixed in with the people who would absolutely love to have it.

As a person who hails from Chicago, if it is done properly, I see NO reason why you should not want to have the Olympics in the city. None. Hosting the Olympics is not an individual honor, but a collective one that involves everyone. This may sound corny but I feel it's true... if you love your city, that's the highest honor there is to get recognition for it from the world. This would exceed even the White Sox winning it all, IMO.

If that all is not enough then just look at the practical benefits that have already been discussed. If done properly, as I said, then the city will turn a profit or at least break even, but in either case, the investments to improve the city won't leave with the Olympics. It'll be reboot the city needs badly.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 12:50 AM)
Another question .... can Chicago match or out do Beijing? They spent 40 billion dollars on the games.

Well, my question is...what all does that figure include? Clearly they spent some good money on the facilities, but I find it hard to believe that was a $25 billion stadium. Does that cost include things like the new airport, transportation upgrades, the economic cost of telling half its citizens not to drive for 3 weeks, etc.?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Well, my question is...what all does that figure include? Clearly they spent some good money on the facilities, but I find it hard to believe that was a $25 billion stadium. Does that cost include things like the new airport, transportation upgrades, the economic cost of telling half its citizens not to drive for 3 weeks, etc.?

China saved some money on labor though that we wouldnt be able to pull off. They made workers live on the construction site for way below minimum wage here in the US and in very bad living conditions which wouldnt happen here, especially with the union involvement in everything Chicago.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
Yes, I know there is talk of putting it back in for the 2016 games.

Unless they can somehow eliminate any doubt about drug use, find a way for all the games to be played in the exact abount of time, get Europe to ease up on their assholish behavior towards the US love of the game, and by far the most important to the IOC, get the pro's to play... baseball will not likely return in 2016. Rogge did an interview with Costas and said the list (though he wouldn't say what they were) of sports competing for the 2 open spots have "great potential". He hates baseball and has openly expressed that he's thrilled it's gone.

QUOTE (Steff @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
Unless they can somehow eliminate any doubt about drug use, find a way for all the games to be played in the exact abount of time, get Europe to ease up on their assholish behavior towards the US love of the game, and by far the most important to the IOC, get the pro's to play... baseball will not likely return in 2016. Rogge did an interview with Costas and said the list (though he wouldn't say what they were) of sports competing for the 2 open spots have "great potential". He hates baseball and has openly expressed that he's thrilled it's gone.

We should put in more obscure sports that China can select people to train and get cheap gold medals in so they can use their medal count for better propaganda value.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
We should put in more obscure sports that China can select people to train and get cheap gold medals in so they can use their medal count for better propaganda value.

Adding in baseball will not help the U.S. get a gold until the MLB starts taking 2 weeks off. (Barring true expansion of MLB to Cuba, Japan, and the Koreas, and those teams sucking up all their local talent).