how much range and how fast

Bubba Philips

I just though about how tall Alexei is. He's 6'3'.. That would be tall enough to be a first baseman and could you imagine the range we would gain putting Getz at second and Ramirez at first.. Ramirez, Getz, Cabrera and Juan at third. We then could put Anderson in center and use Wise in right field.. Now that some speed no one would expect that line up. Oh we would use jd as our dh. Just a thought.............................

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
I just though about how tall Alexei is. He's 6'3'.. That would be tall enough to be a first baseman and could you imagine the range we would gain putting Getz at second and Ramirez at first.. Ramirez, Getz, Cabrera and Juan at third. We then could put Anderson in center and use Wise in right field.. Now that some speed no one would expect that line up. Oh we would use jd as our dh. Just a thought.............................

You are replacing Paul Konerko with Chris Getz. Realize that.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)

I am not making the connection between the height of Ramirez and his range at 1B.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
I think the point he is trying to make is that Alexei is tall enough for first base and has a ton of range compared to most first basemen.

Why waste a solid middle infielder at 1b?

That's why I am surprised that Detroit moved Carlos Guillen to 1B.

I always thought that Guillen was at least decent to average in the middle infield.

Yeah, he had errors, but a lot of guys do.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
Why waste a solid middle infielder at 1b?

That's why I am surprised that Detroit moved Carlos Guillen to 1B.

I always thought that Guillen was at least decent to average in the middle infield.

Yeah, he had errors, but a lot of guys do.

I think the major reasons are 1) he's lost quite a bit of range due to injuries, compared with how he moved in his early days in Seattle, 2) he's been more injury-prone playing a "high activity" position such as SS, 3) he makes so many "mental errors" and his arm is no longer quite so strong. They simply wanted to keep his bat in the line-up, 1B was where he would do the least damage and they had to stick Cabrera at 3B.

As far as the original post, that's not worth consideration...Ramirez will never play a game at 1B. Wise will never be a major league regular, and I have my doubts that BA (or Owens) will be either.

Getz has decent speed, but he's not a burner or basestealer by any stretch of the imagination, at least not at the big league level.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
Does a first baseman have to be tall?

Look at Swisher?

Well, typically, a first baseman is tall and left handed (think Fred McGriff), because it's more helpful to have his glove hand right on the bag for pick-off throws and sometimes the angles are better throwing from 1st to 2nd.

You don't need a super-tall guy if he's pretty athletic and can get up in the air and make some plays...like Ross Gload. He always did a very good job over there in limited playing time and he's not overly tall either. Konerko's a big guy, but he simply can't jump very well. Also, if you have long arms/wingspan, someone like Tony Clark, it can make a big difference...and it's helpful to have a large target for the infielders.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
I think the point he is trying to make is that Alexei is tall enough for first base and has a ton of range compared to most first basemen.

I am not sure the point is necesarily correct though. A simple musing possibly, but not apoint