And thats a white sox winner!!

letsgoarow

s*** like that double play mix up in the first inning is going to get us killed against good teams, need to tighten that up. But other than that nonsense, Mark did an ok job of battling despite having no stuff tonight, and the offense was about as good as they can be. Love the CQ MVP chants too. We have a tough task tomorrow, but hopefully the fellas can figure out a way to win because this should be a sweep if we can do so.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

BTW, Clayton Richard has no f'n business starting a game for the White Sox this season. It's ridiculous starting him tomorrow in a tight pennant race against Felix Hernandez. At least Broadway has been competent in his start, even if it was just smoke and mirrors.

I would agree with you. I'm just hoping Oz/KW know something we don't know and Clayton will come through. I can't figure out why they wouldn't let Broadway start again compared to Richard. You'd think Richard would fight like hell tonight to get us a win. It's a big game. If Clayton fails again I don't know what to say.

Caulfield is turning into my favorite poster (see avatar).

I think Clayton is gonna have a good outing tomorrow (some call it blind optimism)

Great to see we overcame that first inning debacle (looked to me like oc put up his glove as if saying he would take the throw)

over 1200 ops since the break for q is sick (mvp)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:34 AM)
I would agree with you. I'm just hoping Oz/KW know something we don't know and Clayton will come through. I can't figure out why they wouldn't let Broadway start again compared to Richard. You'd think Richard would fight like hell tonight to get us a win. It's a big game. If Clayton fails again I don't know what to say.

I think it's simply because they think that Clayton being a LH pitcher (of course, so is Poreda) gives them a better chance against Ichiro and Ibanez, who are the two best Seattle hitters. Not sure about the difference/discrepancy between SEA W/L percentage against lefties and righties, but I think that has to be part of their thinking. Everyone in the organization seems to think it was a good idea to leave Carrasco in the pen...it's just that there is a huge difference of opinion around here about Broadway, Poreda and Richard and the relative merits of each starting this game.

http://www.cappersmall.com/mlb/articles/ML...tchers8259.html

According to this table, they are a better team against righties than lefties, FWIW. The information's about two weeks out of date though...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
OK...I say we bring this one out in the open in regards to the brain fart in the 1st. I've had a discussion with another member via PMs...but yet in a condescending manner was told I'm a complete idiot.

The play...ground ball back to Mark. OC converging on 2nd with Lexi as well. Technically I think OC has the better shot but pulls up for some reason from my view. I understand there needed to be communication there before the play started as to who's covering...but Mark did what he's supposed to do and throws at the base since it seemed both were getting there (and a great throw too btw). But to say he threw to the wrong guy?!?! Anybody else want to chime in and not sound like a condescending @#$%......

They showed a view of the play behind homeplate and it looked like Cabrera held up his mitt quickly, as if to tell Mark and Alexei that he had the throw. It must not have been intentional because then he pulled up as if he expected Alexei to take the throw. Who should take the throw depends on baserunners and who is hitting. From the sounds of it it should have been Ramirez throw, but I am guessing Alexei deferred to Cabrera because of the brief holding up of the glove. I didn't hear the post game show for an official comment, but that is how I saw it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
They showed a view of the play behind homeplate and it looked like Cabrera held up his mitt quickly, as if to tell Mark and Alexei that he had the throw. It must not have been intentional because then he pulled up as if he expected Alexei to take the throw. Who should take the throw depends on baserunners and who is hitting. From the sounds of it it should have been Ramirez throw, but I am guessing Alexei deferred to Cabrera because of the brief holding up of the glove. I didn't hear the post game show for an official comment, but that is how I saw it.

the way I see it, that is ALWAYS the shortstops ball. Cabrera has all of his momentum going towards first, Alexei has to stop his momentum and throw across his body to make the play if he takes the throw. The only time the 2nd baseman should be taking a throw for a DP should be when it is coming from the SS or 3rd baseman. Just my two cents.

I think it depends on the defensive positioning based on a right handed pull hitter.

I personally think that Cabrerra is afraid of any sort of contact around the bag. Watch him on any DP attempt he flies up in the air and out of the way even if hte player is not coming hard. On throws in and steal attempts, he is nowhere near the bag and is reaching to make the tag.

He is a tad below average if you ask me.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
I think it depends on the defensive positioning based on a right handed pull hitter.

I personally think that Cabrerra is afraid of any sort of contact around the bag. Watch him on any DP attempt he flies up in the air and out of the way even if hte player is not coming hard. On throws in and steal attempts, he is nowhere near the bag and is reaching to make the tag.

That is an interesting comment to make about a gold glove SS. :huh

Buerhle said he and the SS both needed to make a better play. No blame being dished out there.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)

That's a great observation and one that I wholeheartedly agree with.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
That's a great observation and one that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Maybe Crede and Orlando are both leery of getting injured/re-injured or lots of contact in light of their pending Free Agency? If that was the case, I think I would designate OC for assigment right now if not for the fact that Ramirez, Uribe or Getz would be hitting leadoff and we'd lose the draft picks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Maybe Crede and Orlando are both leery of getting injured/re-injured or lots of contact in light of their pending Free Agency? If that was the case, I think I would designate OC for assigment right now if not for the fact that Ramirez, Uribe or Getz would be hitting leadoff and we'd lose the draft picks.

OC's been good with the stick, but he's not what was advertised at short.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)

I have never really watched him much but that could be his M.O. and why he wasn't kept by the Red Sox.

Gage is a big fan so I would defer to him on his history of playing "softly" around the bag.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
the way I see it, that is ALWAYS the shortstops ball. Cabrera has all of his momentum going towards first, Alexei has to stop his momentum and throw across his body to make the play if he takes the throw. The only time the 2nd baseman should be taking a throw for a DP should be when it is coming from the SS or 3rd baseman. Just my two cents.

Agreed. OC has his momentum going towards the bag to make the throw to first. It would seem that the only time the 2b should take the ball is when the 2b cannot get to the bag because the ss is playing in the severe hole because of a particular batter's tendencies (dead pull hitter). This is usually discussed prior to the game in the scouting reports, so this should have already been decided.

Maybe it was decided Alexei should take the throw but OC's first instinct was to take it and they both got confused.

Who knows.