Another funny, candid Oz comment

greg775

“You know what, to be honest, I come to the ballpark I don’t ask about Joe Crede,” White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. “I’m not going to say he’s out of my mind, but he’s out of my picture. That’s the way I’m going about my job. I’ve got 25 problems, I don’t need 26.

I like Crede, but this is good stuff again from Oz in tonight's story. No other managers talk like the Sox's Oz. I think it's refreshing. Crede makes a lot of money and stands to make a bundle in the offseason if some team is willing to risk signing him to a multi-year deal. I don't see how a team could sign Joe to more than a year deal with his back issue(s). When asked by reporters about Joe, Oz could have just given some boring comment like Trey Hillman would here in KC. Or he could come up with this gem. I thought another Ozism was worth its own thread.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Ozzie being Ozzie.

Does anyone actually know what is the status with Crede?

He has been sent to Charlotte for rehab, played one game and pain came back, he hasn't played since?

The latest mailbag says there is still no timetable, but one thing they do know is that he will be out longer than Linebrink who is getting better... which means he could be out for the rest of the regular season. That's why Ozzie isn't even thinking about him.

On the radio broadcast, they said he's getting close to ready to start with the rehab assignment in Charlotte again.

Which will bring up an interesting dilemma...can you bench Uribe for Crede, the way Juan has been playing? If Crede does return to starting, he's on a very short leash offensively/defensively.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
On the radio broadcast, they said he's getting close to ready to start with the rehab assignment in Charlotte again.

Which will bring up an interesting dilemma...can you bench Uribe for Crede, the way Juan has been playing? If Crede does return to starting, he's on a very short leash offensively/defensively.

I posted this at the end of the game thread a few days ago but I'll say it again. IMO the return of Joe Crede (unless he's a whole different player than what we saw before he hit the DL, which he likely is not) would not be a positive addition, it would in fact hurt the ballclub. Uribe has been awesome at 3B, replacing him with a lesser player (which Crede has been this season IMO) would be a mistake. (not that they'd have much of a choice)

EDIT: ick WAY too much tip toeing in that paragraph. I'll just put it bluntly. The White Sox upgraded the 3B position when Uribe took over for Crede.

UNLESS Joe is capable of producing the same type of offensive output he did in the first six weeks of the season.

Even then, Juan's a better fielder (this season at least) and Juan has to be hitting close to .300 or above for the last couple of months, because he was below .200 most of the first two months. Does anyone know the exact numbers?

First two months

Crede 47/172, 9, 29, .273 AVG

Uribe 22/112, 3, 15, .196 AVG

SINCE

Crede 31/133, 8, 25, .233 AVG

Uribe 27/86, 2, 10, .314 AVG

It would be nice to see Juan pick up his power numbers a bit, but we can afford to carry him with our offense lighting up the scoreboards and his defense preventing numerous runs. With Crede, we're not sure if he will get the power back this season and his defense has been very spotty, at best. He still makes some great plays, but he's starting to remind me of Jose Valentin in 2000.

Edited by caulfield12

At this point and judging from Oz's comments I can't see him taking over for Juan immediately. If Joe is smart he'll shut up and wait for the chance to play and not be a distraction. I doubt the Sox will move Joe right into the lineup but I could be wrong.

On a side note, isn't it funny how the acquisition of Griffey hasn't cut Paulie's time much at all?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:26 AM)
At this point and judging from Oz's comments I can't see him taking over for Juan immediately. If Joe is smart he'll shut up and wait for the chance to play and not be a distraction. I doubt the Sox will move Joe right into the lineup but I could be wrong.

On a side note, isn't it funny how the acquisition of Griffey hasn't cut Paulie's time much at all?

Paulie is really hitting right now (.302/.467/.558 in 43 at bats during August) so nobody is going to take playing time from him at the moment. There just isn't any room for Griffey right now, and although he's struggled, that's a good sign of how deep the lineup is.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
I know the answer will be "wait until after the postseason," but it appears both Uribe and Crede will be type B free agents. Do you offer them both arbitration?

I think you do with Uribe if you plan on him being the starter at 3B, SS or 2B next year for the White Sox. If you want to bring him back as a utility player again, that's another matter. Then I think we should let him see if he can find a starting job somewhere else in the league.

With Crede, I think you risk offering arbitration because Boras will want to take him out into the market no matter what. Of course, the obvious danger is that nobody bites and we get "stuck" with him for one season...and he's either non-productive or a constant distraction (about his future and trying to get another contract at the end of 2009) to the team. That's the risk.

I don't think it's worth the risk that he comes back to offer arbitration if he's only a Type B. For a Type A player like Cabrera, you definitely will take the draft picks in return.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 03:00 AM)
I think you do with Uribe if you plan on him being the starter at 3B, SS or 2B next year for the White Sox. If you want to bring him back as a utility player again, that's another matter. Then I think we should let him see if he can find a starting job somewhere else in the league.

With Crede, I think you risk offering arbitration because Boras will want to take him out into the market no matter what. Of course, the obvious danger is that nobody bites and we get "stuck" with him for one season...and he's either non-productive or a constant distraction (about his future and trying to get another contract at the end of 2009) to the team. That's the risk.

I don't think it's worth the risk that he comes back to offer arbitration if he's only a Type B. For a Type A player like Cabrera, you definitely will take the draft picks in return.

Uribe will be on the Sox in 2009, probably at SS with Ramirez staying at 2B and Fields/Crede at 3B.

There is not going to be a lot of demand for a 3B who has only played in 137 games over the last 2 years, is 30 with a bad back, who has a lifetime OPS of .750, with declining defensive skills.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
Uribe will be on the Sox in 2009, probably at SS with Ramirez staying at 2B and Fields/Crede at 3B.

There is not going to be a lot of demand for a 3B who has only played in 137 games over the last 2 years, is 30 with a bad back, who has a lifetime OPS of .750, with declining defensive skills.

Never underestimate Boras...

I would prefer Ramirez at SS, his natural position, unless Juanie really comes into Spring Training in great shape. Eventually, Ramirez is going to be your everyday shortstop, and Juan will be gone, so why not start the transition ASAP? And no, I don't see Beckham at shortstop...my preference would be for him to be 1) 2B and 2) 3B.

I also don't think we will go into ST with both Fields and Crede on the roster. I think KW needs to pick one, keeping in mind we will still have Getz around as a back-up around the infield. I think KW might try to find a leadoff hitter from the 2B postion, not sure who it is yet and how he'll do it.

I think whomever is the 2B next season is merely a placeholder for a season as Beckham should be ready to go on opening day in 2010. If Juan accepts arbitration, then you have a three way contest between Getz, Fields, and Uribe for the two IF spots along Alexei, unless there is some type of deal made in which we ship out a 1B (Konerko or Swisher) and fill one of those needs. If Juan does not accept arbitration then we would need to look elsewhere I think to fill that need. There are a few players that will fill the needs that the Sox have in free agency and will not cost us a draft pick to re-sign.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
I find it funny we're now talking about keeping Uribe around for next year when most of this board wanted him gone for a bag of baseballs not too long ago.

I have always been a Juan Uribe supporter, but he is not the replacement for Joe Crede when Jow is healthy. I do hope the Sox consider keeping him on the team in 2009. He is a super defender and brings what you want to the clubhouse. He is a team player. In the same vein I hope Joe Crede is back also. I think after what we saw from Josh Fields that he is not the answer at third. There is not much available next year that I can see as far as availabler thirdbasemen are concerned. Some have suggested KW going after Chone Figgins, but why the LA part with him? Maybe just cause we hope they will?

Crank up the way back machine Mr. Peabody and replace Crede with Maggs inj all thos esentences with; no one will take a chance, he hasn't run, age, health issues, Boras client, etc. etc.

Somebody will take a chance

It will be a big payday, with incentives for games played.

He may or may not be a MLB starter for the next 10 years.

I wish him the best, no matter where he winds up.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
I have always been a Juan Uribe supporter, but he is not the replacement for Joe Crede when Jow is healthy. I do hope the Sox consider keeping him on the team in 2009. He is a super defender and brings what you want to the clubhouse. He is a team player. In the same vein I hope Joe Crede is back also. I think after what we saw from Josh Fields that he is not the answer at third. There is not much available next year that I can see as far as availabler thirdbasemen are concerned. Some have suggested KW going after Chone Figgins, but why the LA part with him? Maybe just cause we hope they will?

KW doesn't have many bargaining chips left to deal...don't see who we could send to the Angels that they would want (besides the obvious, like CQ!). I would be shocked if he dealt Poreda for Figgins, and Fields packaged with other prospects simply won't get it done either (I'm thinking Broadway/Richard/Getz).

Konerko? Thome (would he even accept a trade to the West Coast)? Swisher? Those are big assumptions to make. I'm not sure they would accept Konerko's contract, shaky injury status (without a thorough doctor's exam) and then give us their most versatile player to boot.

Fields has lost a lot of his luster, and they still have the internal option of Brandon Wood still rating higher than Fields I would think...they made the interesting decision to hold onto both McPherson and Kotchman until they lost most of their value, same thing with Kendry Morales I suspect.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
Crank up the way back machine Mr. Peabody and replace Crede with Maggs inj all thos esentences with; no one will take a chance, he hasn't run, age, health issues, Boras client, etc. etc.

Somebody will take a chance

It will be a big payday, with incentives for games played.

He may or may not be a MLB starter for the next 10 years.

I wish him the best, no matter where he winds up.

What about Sherman??? Everyone always forgets him!