Another funny, candid Oz comment

greg775

Joe Crede resumes rehab in Charlotte tonight. I hope he is physically healthy and able to play. I think when he returns to the Sox he will make us a better team.

A healthy Crede is so much better than Uribe. But Oz seems kind of perturbed so I wouldn't assume Joe will immediately take over. I guess if Joe is 100 percent healthy they might plug him back in right away.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
A healthy Crede is so much better than Uribe. But Oz seems kind of perturbed so I wouldn't assume Joe will immediately take over. I guess if Joe is 100 percent healthy they might plug him back in right away.

I'm guessing Oz is more perturbed with answering the same question day after day. When they see Crede in the lineup, then ask about him. Until then, go bother the trainer, the minor league coaches, or Boras.

I don't know about Uribe > Crede.

Joe Crede from Apr-May-Jun was pretty good, even with the errors. He was really bad in July but the back problems might have already started at that point. If he's close to his early season form upon his return (pretty big IF), I'd take Crede over Uribe. Not a huge fan of Crede, but I'll take the better offensive player at a corner position.

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that arbitration will be offered to Crede. If he remains with the White Sox, they have their 3Bman for 2009 unless the front office has something else up their sleeve and already figure out what they will do at 3B before the deadline for offering arbitration comes up (and I believe that happens generally right before or after the Winter Meetings); if he declines, $5 mill is freed up and the Sox will get a draft pick.

Uribe is a different story. I imagine the organization wants him back next year as a reserve infielder (because he's one of the best reserve infielders in the league), but I don't know why Juan wouldn't want to go looking for a starting job elsewhere. I'd actually bet more money on Uribe signing a multi-year deal with the Sox than him signing somewhere else, but one organization that does like him and would appreciate what he brings and perhaps bring out some of the talent is Boston. If Boston could find a taker for Lugo, I think Uribe would have his starting job locked up there. So I really am not sure if they'll offer him arbitration, but if they can't lock him up to a deal prior to, I imagine they will...he's valuable enough off the bench that he's worth $4.5 or so.

Are you sure they might not prefer to stick with Lowrie and Pedroia staying together in the middle of the infield?

Granted, Lowrie still has a long ways to go, but he's quickly becoming a fan favorite and his OPS is .858. I don't know when the last time Uribe came close to that...probably the first two months of the 2004 season? That year, his OPS was .833, but it has been slowly/steadily downhill ever since that season, for a number of reasons.

Has anyone seen enough of Lowrie at SS to say that he can't play the position long-term? Range? Arm? Since I've been overseas all year, I haven't seen him play at all.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 04:42 AM)
Uribe is a different story. I imagine the organization wants him back next year as a reserve infielder (because he's one of the best reserve infielders in the league), but I don't know why Juan wouldn't want to go looking for a starting job elsewhere. I'd actually bet more money on Uribe signing a multi-year deal with the Sox than him signing somewhere else, but one organization that does like him and would appreciate what he brings and perhaps bring out some of the talent is Boston. If Boston could find a taker for Lugo, I think Uribe would have his starting job locked up there. So I really am not sure if they'll offer him arbitration, but if they can't lock him up to a deal prior to, I imagine they will...he's valuable enough off the bench that he's worth $4.5 or so.

I'm thinking of a scenario similar to Ayanbadejo for the Bears. With him, he was one of the best ST players in the league, and the Bears could have re-signed him. But it wasn't all about money to him, he wanted to play more defense, and he wouldn't have had an opportunity to do that with the Bears, and said he chose the Ravens because they promised him some snaps at LB. I get the feeling Uribe might be thinking that too if he chooses a multi-year deal somewhere - there is not much urgency from the Sox end to put him back in as the starter since he has been pretty lackluster for an extended period of time when he's been the uncontested starter, for whatever reason.

If you think about it, whatelse is Ozzie going to say? He HAS to show faith in Uribe, because he is the guy who is HERE and who has been doing a damned good job playing 3B in Crede's extended absence. He doesn't even know if he is going to be getting back Crede, let alone THE Joe Crede. Uribe has to be his man right now for the rest of the season, unless Joe proves otherwise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
If you think about it, whatelse is Ozzie going to say? He HAS to show faith in Uribe, because he is the guy who is HERE and who has been doing a damned good job playing 3B in Crede's extended absence. He doesn't even know if he is going to be getting back Crede, let alone THE Joe Crede. Uribe has to be his man right now for the rest of the season, unless Joe proves otherwise.

Ozzie's always said he worries about the 25 guys that are 'here' and not the ones that aren't. But then again, he talking wistfully about Linebrink a couple of days ago.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Ozzie's always said he worries about the 25 guys that are 'here' and not the ones that aren't. But then again, he talking wistfully about Linebrink a couple of days ago.

And after the Toronto series a few months ago, KW needed to get a new offense. Ozzie speak should never be taken at 100 percent face value.