Looks like Kenny knew what he was doing once again.....

sin city sox fan

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
Could you imagine a thread with this title being posted here last season?

OMG, Kenny's so stupid!!11!1! Fire him now!!11!1!

Those opinions are still out there. They just are muted a bit

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
Yes. I do.

Remember... they didn't send down Richard and call up Broadway...

They called up Adam Russell when they sent Richard down on August 5th. They added an available arm for our bullpen, which was really struggling at the time.

Broadway was called up on the 11th when they sent Logan down (after his implosion). Richard was not available because he started a game in Charlotte a couple of days earlier. Broadway hadn't pitched in a week so bringing him up made more sense. He was immediately able to pitch in relief (which he did his first night up).

I still believe that if Richard had been better in his first stint up here, they would have felt no need to replace him and shuffle the roster, and things would've turned out differently. Especially if he was as good as last night. Someone else would've been added for the bullpen later. I kind of find it hard to believe it was planned this way, and banked on to work out the way it did.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
I kind of find it hard to believe it was planned this way, and banked on to work out the way it did.

This kind of shuttling is pretty common in baseball. But the Sox haven't done much of it in the last few years because you have to have a pool of good prospects at the AAA-level to pull it off.

They're not "banking on it" to turn out the way it did. They're just moving fresh arms up based on need.

It doesn't make alot of sense to keep a fringe guy on the 25-man roster if he can't help you for 5 days... especially when you can swap him out with another guy who can pitch tomorrow. Is it?

It's just smart roster management that can potentially save the bullpen if somebody blows a start

But again... you have the prospects available to pull it off. Right now with Russell, Wasserman, Richard, and Broadway the Sox have a nice potential rotation of players who can rotate through one roster spot based on need (reliever or starter).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
I guess once you've burned the option for the players it doesn't really matter how many times you call them up or down.

Yep. Once you've optioned somebody, there is no limit to the number of times you can promote them and demote them in a year. All it costs you is a plane ticket.

And technically, anyone on the 40-man roster who is sitting in the minors has been optioned in that year even if they are not called up to the big leagues.

So why not use them? To provide bullpen relief and blowout insurance to save the pen... plus give a few guys some big league experience.

Other teams do. Boston does it alot. The Angels... the Cubs have done it ALOT this year.

The Sox simply haven't done it recently because they haven't had a pool of pitchers in Charlotte they could dependably draw on.

Edited by scenario

One thing I know about the MLB is it takes some luck to win. Some average guys to step up and be huge. We have one more mini-slide left this season, I hope Minny slides the same time we do.

I am enjoying this feeling.