8/20 Mariners vs White Sox 1:05 PM CDT - WGN

Metz

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Don't you think lefties could feast off of that arm angle?

Righties are currently hitting .289 off Russell, Lefties only .250, albiet, sample size. Lefties do have a couple more extra base hits and a homer against him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Don't you think lefties could feast off of that arm angle?

It will be interesting to see what the Sox try to make of him. Sometimes he does so well out there I wonder if they could groom him for the role. I do not know the wear and tear on Jenks' arm, but with so much more time before FA, I would be curious to see the talent windfall the Sox might be able to get by trading Bobby in the offseason. I know, dumb idea ready to be panned, but this could very well be that year too soon to trade him as opposed to the year too late.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Righties are currently hitting .289 off Russell, Lefties only .250, albiet, sample size. Lefties do have a couple more extra base hits and a homer against him.

Unless he develops a splitter or a nasty change-up, he just reminds me of a righty set-up man (at best). Another thing that would be interesting to see is if he can keep up his velocity on back-to-back days.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
It will be interesting to see what the Sox try to make of him. Sometimes he does so well out there I wonder if they could groom him for the role. I do not know the wear and tear on Jenks' arm, but with so much more time before FA, I would be curious to see the talent windfall the Sox might be able to get by trading Bobby in the offseason. I know, dumb idea ready to be panned, but this could very well be that year too soon to trade him as opposed to the year too late.

I think Thornton would be the closer of the future. I'll recommend this...trade Dotel this offseason!

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
It will be interesting to see what the Sox try to make of him. Sometimes he does so well out there I wonder if they could groom him for the role. I do not know the wear and tear on Jenks' arm, but with so much more time before FA, I would be curious to see the talent windfall the Sox might be able to get by trading him in the offseason. I know, dumb idea ready to be panned, but this could very well be that year too soon to trade him as opposed to the year too late.

Unless the haul you got back was absolutely spectacular, the Sox aren't in a position to even think about moving Jenks until they have another bad year where they're out of the race early.

So this'll be what 8 out of our last 9 we've won.

Seems as if since the Griffey trade, for whatever reason, even though he hasn't been hitting well before today, the guys who were struggling in Konerko and Swisher have really picked it up.

Swisher's OPS would be very close to .800 right now, which for a major league CF is pretty good.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
I think Thornton would be the closer of the future. I'll recommend this...trade Dotel this offseason!

Dotel has a reasonable shot at bringing back a pair of draft picks next year even if he spends some time on the DL.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
Dotel has a reasonable shot at bringing back a pair of draft picks next year even if he spends some time on the DL.

There's no way you could consider trading any major member of our bullpen consdiering how bad it has been in the past (and how much it has cost us).

The bullpen needs to be a major strength on this team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)

Bullpens appear to be more and more important as the years go by. Dotel is very inconsistent but you know after the first batter what he has got now if only Guillen could see this.

I think he is to valuable to move.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
There's no way you could consider trading any major member of our bullpen consdiering how bad it has been in the past (and how much it has cost us).

The bullpen needs to be a major strength on this team.

Dotel's throwing a ton this season, and I just think he could bring you back a lot of value in the offseason (particularly if a team wants to make him a closer).

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 04:31 PM)
Dotel's throwing a ton this season, and I just think he could bring you back a lot of value in the offseason (particularly if a team wants to make him a closer).

Unless you could sign a replacement who would do just as good of a job, I still wouldn't consider it.

EDIT: And it probably wouldn't look good to potential FA's if you traded a guy, 1 year after signing him (and after he's had a good season).