8/20 games

JPN366

Looks like Crede is out of the lineup again for Charlotte. His back must be seriously F'ed. Danks should be in the lineup tonight for Kanny. The Butcher of B'ham should continue his defensive reign of terror at SS for Charlotte.

Charlotte at home against Indy

Haeger vs. Barthmaier

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...indaaa_chraaa_1

B'ham at home against Huntsvegas

Cassel vs. Wright

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

W-S on the road at Salem

Carter vs. Abreu

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...wswafa_salafa_1

Kanny at home against Augusta

Soco w/Lime vs. O. Odle

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

GFalls on the road at Casper

Billeaud vs. Fischer

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...81&sid=t581

Bristol on the road at Danville

Upchurch vs. Delgado

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...brirok_dnvrok_1

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
W-S on the road at Salem

Carter vs. Abreu

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...wswafa_salafa_1

OK, someone explain this to me. Miranda gets promoted to W-S. He plays in 4 straight games, collecting a hit in each game he starts (the 3rd game he only pinch ran). Now he hasn't been in the lineup for 2 days. Is he injured?

Don't know.

Could just be that Paiml is raking in the last week and is hard to bump from the lineup.

Paiml is 11 for 25 in his last 6 games, including 4 multi-hit games.

That middle infield is packed with bodies: Paiml, Miranda, Persichina, and Mollenhauer. Might just be tough to get everybody enough at-bats.

Edited by scenario

Upchurch: 7 IP 4 H 1 R 0 ER 0 BB 5 SO

From a purely statistical standpoint, the Sox brass have had a great draft. Yeah they made a huge mistake of drafting Williams, but seeing Beckham, Upchurch, Carter, Hudson and Kuhn put up impressive numbers is nice to see.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
From a purely statistical standpoint, the Sox brass have had a great draft. Yeah they made a huge mistake of drafting Williams, but seeing Beckham, Upchurch, Carter, Hudson and Kuhn put up impressive numbers is nice to see.

Some other 2008 draft picks who have really played well...

1B Jorge Castillo... 26th round pick... was the leading hitter in the Appalachian League (.365) when he got promoted to Kannapolis. Hasn't missed a beat. He's hitting .375 (15/40) since moving to Kanny.

CF Justin Greene... 20th round pick... batting .292 at Bristol with a .374 OBP and .821 OPS. Had a cup of coffee at Kanny before returning to Bristol to open a spot for JDanks.

Steven Sauer... 10th round pick... reliever at Great Falls. His 3.41 ERA doesn't show how well he's done. He's got a 4:1 K/BB; a WHIP under 1.00; and a BAA of .178. Very nice peripheral stats for a reliever.

Justin Kuehn... 19th round pick... reliever at Bristol. A 1.61 ERA with a .147 BAA.

Kevin Asselin... 30th round pick... the closer at Bristol. A 1.45 ERA with a .206 BAA.

Edited by scenario

Lee Cruz 2-3 with a homerun and 3 RBIs tonight in Birmingham's 8-3 win.

Cruz's career was heading straight down the toilet this summer after failing at Winston-Salem (.196 BA in 194 at-bats) and even worse at Kanny (1 hit in 20 at-bats).

In a bizarre twist of luck for Cruz (probably the organization giving the 25 year old outfielder a last chance), the Sox promoted him to AA. In Birmingham, after struggling early he has caught fire.

He's hitting around .370 in his last 10 games and now his season average (155 at-bats) is up to .283 with an OPS over .820.

Good for Cruz... and for the Barons. He's now batting cleanup and playing a key role in the team's offense.

Edited by scenario

I sure likes me some CJ Retherford.

David Cook seems to have regained his stroke after returning from the DL - his last five games, he is 8-19 with 2 2B's, 1 HR and 2 BB's.

Valido in his first two games at AAA: 0-7, 4 K

Cassel looks ready for a promotion, but with B-Ham in a playoff hunt and Charlotte's revolving door of starters, I guess that will have to wait until 2009.

Tyler Kuhn looks WAY ready for promotion.

Kent Gerst is looking interesting, especially as a CF. Anyone know anything about his defense?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Charlotte at home against Indy

Haeger vs. Barthmaier

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...indaaa_chraaa_1

Owens 4-6 2B 2SB now hitting .282

Fields 0-5 3K hitting .236

Eldred HR #34 2RBI (96)

Cook 3-4 2B HR

Nice to see Owens hitting. I really think he'll be a nice addition to have on the bench when the rosters expand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Kent Gerst is looking interesting, especially as a CF. Anyone know anything about his defense?

A couple of notes from Baseball America on Gerst (some of it's a little old from when he was dafted):

"Gerst, a lefty batter, did very little with the bat, but he's a well-above-average runner, bunter and defender. He throws well. Gerst hangs in against lefthanded pitchers but has a lot of adjustments to make as a hitter."

"One of the fastest players at the Area Code Games last summer, outfielder Kent Gerst could be the first high school player drafted out of Missouri. A Missouri State recruit, he's considered signable in the first 10 rounds, and the White Sox have shown as much interest as any club. Gerst has 65-70 speed on the 20-80 scouting scale, and he's a legitimate center fielder and leadoff man. He makes contact but there are some concerns about his size (5-foot-10, 175 pounds)."

Hopefully he can continue to hit because from reading those it seems like everything else is there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:29 AM)
Tyler Kuhn looks WAY ready for promotion.

I think we got ourselves a steal with this one. This guy hit over .400 in college ball (WVU), and went undrafted until the 15th round or something. How does that make sense? Even if he doesn't have the best tools, the guy is a hitter.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
I think we got ourselves a steal with this one. This guy hit over .400 in college ball (WVU), and went undrafted until the 15th round or something. How does that make sense? Even if he doesn't have the best tools, the guy is a hitter.

I hit over .700 in my softball league... And I don't think I should be drafted. Competition and tools are very important.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
Are you honestly comparing a softball league full of old people to college baseball?

I guess you missed it, because there was a point in there. The level of competition and the tools of the player do make a big difference in what someone's future will be at the next levels. Statistics aren't everything.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
I guess you missed it, because there was a point in there. The level of competition and the tools of the player do make a big difference in what someone's future will be at the next levels. Statistics aren't everything.

.400 in D-1 in a mid-major or major conference is still .400 in D-1 any way you cut it. yes, competition does mean something but its not like he was playing for a podunct D-3 school or somehting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:36 AM)

I know the point you were trying to make, but using your comparison really didnt justify it. If you compared it someone with a .400 plus in division 2 or some insane highschool stats would of been better. Using your softball stats is so far away in talent level it takes away from what you were going for if that makes sense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 09:27 AM)
I hit over .700 in my softball league... And I don't think I should be drafted. Competition and tools are very important.

He played at WVU, which is a D-1 school with average-above average competition. Hitting .400 at that level is very impressive. Much more impressive then you hitting .700 in a freakin softball league.

It's not like he played at some no name school in the lowest division in the backwoods of kentucky or something.