8/20 games

JPN366

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Either that or you can't handle your "analogy gone awry"

;)

Was it an "analogy gone awry" though? I think he made his point pretty well. The numbers someone puts up in high school, college, the lower Minors, a softball league are irrelevant because if you don't have the tools/talent/potential you're not reaching the Majors. With the numbers Kuhn put up in college if he did indeed have the required tools he would have either gone much higher than the 15th round or he would have been one of those "signability" guys and we would have had to give him $500K to sign him, neither of those are the case so I think it's safe to assume he'll stop hitting as he progresses, just like John Doe hitting .700 in his softball league would.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:56 PM)
Lee Cruz 2-3 with a homerun and 3 RBIs tonight in Birmingham's 8-3 win.

Cruz's career was heading straight down the toilet this summer after failing at Winston-Salem (.196 BA in 194 at-bats) and even worse at Kanny (1 hit in 20 at-bats).

In a bizarre twist of luck for Cruz (probably the organization giving the 25 year old outfielder a last chance), the Sox promoted him to AA. In Birmingham, after struggling early he has caught fire.

He's hitting around .370 in his last 10 games and now his season average (155 at-bats) is up to .283 with an OPS over .820.

Good for Cruz... and for the Barons. He's now batting cleanup and playing a key role in the team's offense.

Lee hits the ball hard too.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 03:03 AM)
The White Sox organization went 7-0 today. Homers for Cook and Brandon Allen. Great starts by soco and upchurch. beckham going 2-4 and hurting his average.

:cheers

Big BA hit that ball a long way. They said 434, but it looked like 470. He's a left handed batter and he hit it off a left handed pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
Good lord you folks really enjoy missing the forest for the trees. :bang Keep digging into the details of a hypothetical... Oh if only I said D2 instead of softball, THEN it would have made perfect sense. :bang

Forget I ever said anything and dive back into the stat page.

All im saying is when you go to the extreme like that, it takes away from the point your trying to make. I dont know anything about the player in question so have no idea why he went in 15th round but unless you have some specific reason comparing your softball league to division 1 is pretty pointless.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Was it an "analogy gone awry" though? I think he made his point pretty well. The numbers someone puts up in high school, college, the lower Minors, a softball league are irrelevant because if you don't have the tools/talent/potential you're not reaching the Majors. With the numbers Kuhn put up in college if he did indeed have the required tools he would have either gone much higher than the 15th round or he would have been one of those "signability" guys and we would have had to give him $500K to sign him, neither of those are the case so I think it's safe to assume he'll stop hitting as he progresses, just like John Doe hitting .700 in his softball league would.

I agree, i think the point is solid.

And of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. Some players are drafted low or not drafted at all because they don't have the "tools", but manage to succeed anyway, even at the major league level. Some guys just have the intangibles. They are the minority, but, it happens.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 12:56 PM)
And scouting is by no means a perfect science...

If it was, Albert Pujols would not have been a 13th round draft pick.

Well no one knew how much his body would develop in such a short period of time. (except maybe his pharmacist) ;)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
Valido in his first two games at AAA: 0-7, 4 K

The Butcher of B'ham and his defensive (and offensive) reign of terror will no longer harm the Barons. Certainly not a merit promotion. They got rid of him so he wouldn't hurt the team in the playoffs.