Francisco Rodriguez chasing Bobby Thigpen's record

Yoda

Anyone else notice what Francisco Rodriguez has been doing this season for the Angels? Just today I heard how he may be considered for the AL Cy Award because of his consistency as the closer for the Halos. He currently has 48 saves with 37 games left for his respective team. Since the AL West is the weakest division, most of the games left will be against division opponents (Tex, Oak, Seattle).

As many of you may know, Bobby Thigpin holds the single-season record for saves, which he accomplshed for the White Sox (1990). His 57 saves and 1.83 ERA helped him get 5th in the AL's MVP voting. The closest one since was Gagne in '03 when it was pretty much game over for opposing teams. Now, 2008, it's K-Rod trying to make history for a team that can pretty much start printing playoff tickets.

Really, I don't see how the Cy would go to anyone but Cliff Lee. Besides closers are vastly overrated and a number of K-rods saves are crappy little one out saves, not to mention that he allows way too many baserunners to be considered lights out. Fact of the matter is, the Angels run differential is so low that he has something like 30% more save opportunities than any other closer in baseball, and converts saves at a worse rate than many others. While he will probably break the record, it's a matter of circumstances and not just skills. Any other closer in baseball would be on the same pace if they were in the Angels bullpen.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
I'll take Joe Nathan over K-Rod any day of the week. He's VASTLY superior.

K-Rod hasn't gone more than 1 inning in a single game this year and actually has 7 saves in which he threw less than an inning.

Second the Joe Nathan talk.

Bobby Jenks has a better ERA and WHIP than K-Rod. Just because he gets a ton of save chances doesn't make him the best pitcher in the league. Not even close.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
I'd rather have Thigpen keep his record, but I wouldn't mind seeing 4 saves this weekend for K-Rod.

I would rather the Angels just have 4 blowouts and no save opps for K-Rod.

There are times when I see his picture or see him on TV and I am quietly fantasizing about someone hitting him in the knee with a crowbar, I try to not think about it, but I can't help it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
How many blown saves did Thigpen have in his record year?

B-R says he appeared in 65 save chances that year and finished off 57. 2 times he came out of the game before it finished. They don't have "Blown Saves" as an official stat there, but I think 8 appears correct.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Aug 20, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
Really, I don't see how the Cy would go to anyone but Cliff Lee. Besides closers are vastly overrated and a number of K-rods saves are crappy little one out saves, not to mention that he allows way too many baserunners to be considered lights out. Fact of the matter is, the Angels run differential is so low that he has something like 30% more save opportunities than any other closer in baseball, and converts saves at a worse rate than many others. While he will probably break the record, it's a matter of circumstances and not just skills. Any other closer in baseball would be on the same pace if they were in the Angels bullpen.

I don't know about "any", but quite a few, anyway. No way, no how, does he deserve the CYA. It'll be another idiot test for the major awards. Lee & Halladay are the only real candidates.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
No one can top Gagne's 03 season, imo. 55 Sv's, 1.20 ERA, 37 H (IN 82.1 INNINGS), and 120K's. It doesn't get more dominant than that.

that is the nastiest stuff i have ever seen in baseball - period. When he would follow up a 97mph fastball on the outside corner with a 69mph curve? forget about it.

EDIT: for what it's worth, i think Joe Nathan is far and away the best reliever in baseball today, regardless of Krod's totals.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
that is the nastiest stuff i have ever seen in baseball - period. When he would follow up a 97mph fastball on the outside corner with a 69mph curve? forget about it.

EDIT: for what it's worth, i think Joe Nathan is far and away the best reliever in baseball today, regardless of Krod's totals.

Agreed, although Mo Rivera has to get consideration, even into his older days. He's possibly been the best closer in the majors this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
No one can top Gagne's 03 season, imo. 55 Sv's, 1.20 ERA, 37 H (IN 82.1 INNINGS), and 120K's. It doesn't get more dominant than that.

I'll take Eck in 1990. Yeah Gagne's numbers might be better, but Eck didn't have the chemical enhancers that Gagne clearly had during his brief dominant period.

As for Thigpen, I hope he enjoyed having this record because it's going to be gone very soon obviously.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)

Change that 97 to 93-94 and that's what Joakim Soria does currently.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
Change that 97 to 93-94 and that's what Joakim Soria does currently.

Soria and Gagne aren't at all on the same level. Not a knock on Soria, more a compliment to what Gagne did during that time (albeit, while enhanced)

Personally, I wouldn't want to see K-Rod break the record. Call me biased, but to have a White Sox up there in the history book is something that should remain since there really aren't many records that are held by former players of the chi sox. Not to mention that Thigpen had 87 innings of work while Rodriguez so far only has 55. A few of his save's have been 2 out saves . . .

He is currently at 50.

Edited by Yoda

I hope that Thigpen holds on for the record.

Is there nothing more annoying in baseball right now than K-Rod doing his little celebration on the mound after a save?

as for best closers, even though I am a Twins fan and Joe Nathan is pretty awesome, I give a slight nod to Mo Rivera becuase he has done it for a longer time

edit: and Joakim Soria is straight up filthy. He is the only reason to watch Royals baseball these days. He is one of my favorite non-Twins (along with Curtis Granderson and Joe Crede) in the AL Central

Edited by Benchwarmerjim