Watch A Lot of Video Online?

HuskyCaucasian

Comcast Threatens 20- to 30-Minute Web Slowdowns

Comcast will begin slowing the internet speeds of its heaviest users for 20- to 30-minutes at time of network congestion, Mitch Bowling, Comcast's senior vice president and general manager of online services, told Bloomberg.

This idea would be consistent with the company's new "protocol agnostic" approach to network management, which would not regulate traffic on the basis of application type, but rather based on how much bandwidth an individual is using.

"If in fact a person is generating enough packets that they're the ones creating that situation, we will manage that consumer for the overall good of all of our consumers,'' Bowling said.

Of course, given that the heaviest traffic on broadband networks tends to come from peer-to-peer file swappers, it's no mystery who would be most affected by this policy.

So, if you over use your service by say... using file sharing of even legitimate material, Comcast will not let you use the speed you are paying for. They will drop you down to "DSL" speed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
Theres no other internet options around here, unless you want DSL which is craptastic. I have moved to using my 3G aircard more often.

I have DSL with AT&T and think it's fine. When the house phone is in use, it is a tad slower but that's why we have cell phones.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:39 AM)
I have DSL with AT&T and think it's fine. When the house phone is in use, it is a tad slower but that's why we have cell phones.

DSL just isnt as good as cable, its fine for some people, but its just not in the same league.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
DSL just isnt as good as cable, its fine for some people, but its just not in the same league.

Having went from cable to DSL, I don't personally see a big difference. Video still plays smooth and everything. Like I said, only thing I don't like is that it slows down when someone is on the house phone, but that is why we have cell phones.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
Is it also worth bringing up how much farther ahead the rest of the world is on broadband quality and speeds compared to those available in the U.S.?

well, when you say the rest of the world, you dont really mean that. There are several areas of the world that have better speed and quality, but also an overwhelming piece of the population that is still looking for any decent internet connection.