Kenny Williams, King Pimp

southsider2k5

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...rtnerId=rss_cws

Williams foresaw White Sox run

General manager knew that team could be in thick of race

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

GM Ken Williams felt that a return to form for some players plus pitching would aid the team.

CHICAGO -- The locale was a gazebo at the massive Gaylord Opryland Resort & Hotel in Nashville, and general manager Ken Williams moved with a purpose into his media session during Day 3 of Major League Baseball's 2007 Winter Meetings.

It was here where the White Sox GM uttered a most memorable sentence, coming just 24 hours after the 88-win Tigers had added Miguel Cabrera to an already power-packed lineup.

"All this has done has put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us," a supremely confident Williams stated, without the hint of a smile or laugh.

Williams already has established himself as one of the game's top GMs, helping to produce the lone World Series title in Chicago over the past 90 years. But with 36 games remaining for the South Siders, beginning this Friday against Tampa Bay, with the White Sox and Twins engaged in a tight battle for the 2008 American League Central crown and the Tigers sitting well out of contention, Williams apparently can add "baseball soothsayer" to his resume.

Even before his heavy offseason lifting was complete, trying to turn around a 72-90 squad from 2007, Williams had enough bravado to rank his group right up there with the team considered as the preseason World Series favorite.

"In jest, with a hint of seriousness," said Williams, recounting this bold statement, sitting in the White Sox dugout prior to Tuesday's matchup during his team's three-game sweep of the Mariners, moving its record to 73-53.

His explanation continued as to why Williams thought that the White Sox would contend in 2008, aside from the significant personnel upgrades made.

"Well, I think what was ignored, to a large degree, is even through the difficulties last year, we had a winning record against our division," Williams said. "If you are saying our division is one of the best, then it stands to reason that if we think we match up against our division and if we correct a number of things and balance ourselves out for the long haul, then we should be in the thick of it.

"That's all. We also had nine guys in our starting lineup who achieved below their career levels. It's not a stretch to think some of them would rebound."

Some of those 2007 starters did not exactly factor into this successful 2008 formula. Joe Crede returned from back surgery, which sidelined him for much of 2007, to earn his first All-Star appearance in 2008. Carlos Quentin, a bit of an afterthought as part of the first deal made at the Winter Meetings, now is the top candidate for the AL Most Valuable Player with a Major League-best 35 home runs.

John Danks and Gavin Floyd have shown the development projected by Williams and his staff, backing up his offseason move to acquire Orlando Cabrera for rotation stalwart Jon Garland. The White Sox also added a bona fide AL Rookie of the Year contender in Alexei Ramirez, not to mention a little attitude in the form of Cabrera, Quentin, Octavio Dotel and Nick Swisher.

Not attitude to disrupt a gregarious clubhouse flow, but attitude in the sense of team above all else, and do whatever it takes to win. Reaching the postseason certainly is not a popularity contest.

It wasn't until Williams made one final move on Jan. 22, signing Dotel to a two-year deal, when he truly believed the White Sox were fully loaded to contend.

"We went into the offseason thinking we had to get our on-base percentage better and more consistent, and cut down our strikeouts," Williams said. "We had to play better defensively. We had to do better against left-handed pitching, and hit better with runners in scoring position, which would be a natural correction with guys having normal years.

"Our starting rotation, Danks and Floyd and [Jose] Contreras, had to do nothing more than what we knew they were capable of doing. The bullpen had to support those starters.

"That's why I kept talking about balance. We've lost a couple of divisions being top heavy in one area or another. It looks as though when you have a great offense or great pitching staff but you are lacking in another area, those areas become glaring if the talent isn't distributed.

"What's happening now is nothing but the result of two things: Correcting longstanding struggles and mistakes from the past and the players performing," Williams added.

This belief in the team did not exist in Williams alone, for different reasons, depending on whether the individual asked was involved with the bat or on the mound.

"We have had some real good offensive teams here in the past," White Sox hitting coach Greg Walker said. "But this is probably the deepest, one through nine, the deepest group I've coached."

"Right now, in baseball, I don't care how many good hitters you have. It's about pitching," Dotel added. "This team didn't do well last year, for whatever reason, but they had great starting pitching. I had other choices, but I signed over here because I knew this team had a chance to be in the playoffs."

Apparently, Williams also had figured out the White Sox top challenger before many others.

The locale was the Metrodome baseball pressbox. The date was April 30, 2008, and the time was just an hour or so before the White Sox and Twins took the field for the second of a two-game series.

And Williams was talking in broad strokes about playoff baseball.

During one of these particular conversations with reporters, Williams made a comment about the AL Central, featuring all five teams within 2 1/2 games of each other at the time, which has held up almost four months later. Williams believed that this race would come down to two teams, but in late April, he wouldn't reveal who ultimately would battle the White Sox.

Now, the secret can be told.

"Yeah, I did think it would be the Twins," said Williams, still a little hesitant to put forth who he thought would be the second contender. Williams went on to present two major reasons backing up this early-season thought, where many others never gave the Twins a chance.

"They had the pitching," Williams continued. "They also had a team that could win in their ballpark."

Sound like a familiar description?

Both the White Sox and Twins are built around starting staffs that lack a definitive ace but can send a solid starter to the mound, one through five, backed up by a top-notch bullpen. They also don't lose much in their home environs -- how about 91-42 combined, with the White Sox entering Friday holding a 45-19 mark at U.S. Cellular Field.

Of course, the White Sox have hit 188 home runs, compared to 90 for the Twins. They have taken different paths, but both teams have five weeks left to push for the same elite destination, with no Tigers in sight.

If the White Sox continue to play the way they have been playing over the past 10 games, the Twins also might disappear in the distance.

"Minnesota has a great team, but we have to be the team everyone is putting their eyes on," Dotel said. "If each player does what he is supposed to do, we will be in good position, no question."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

"All this has done has put the Tigers in a better position to contend with us," a supremely confident Williams stated, without the hint of a smile or laugh.

After I first heard this I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

I'm eating crow right now, this makes Kenny look like a genius.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
What else was he expected to say back then?

Things that didn't sound absurd after a 72-90 season. But I mean considering they've already passed last year's win total before August ended, I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

QUOTE (tommy @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)

After I first heard this I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry.

I'm eating crow right now, this makes Kenny look like a genius.

Actually this was the one thing Kenny was wrong about. Acquiring Cabrera didn't really put the Tigers in position to contend with the Sox. :lolhitting

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Actually this was the one thing Kenny was wrong about. Acquiring Cabrera didn't really put the Tigers in position to contend with the Sox. :lolhitting

Yeah, but imagine where the Tigers would be without him!

All the new guys KW added have made a huge impact of some sort:

1) Orlando Cabrera- Brought his gold glove over, brought his winning attitude and has done a great job being up at the #1 spot in the order( a spot he isn't used to). His numbers are solid at .271 avg, 18 SBs, 7 HR and 50 RBI.

2) Nick Swisher- Brought his competitive goofy loosness to the clubhouse while contributing in many roles this season- CF, 1B and occasionally LF and RF. He struggled offensively for awhile but caught a few hot streaks and appears to be getting hot behind the plate again. .237 AVG, .356 OBP, 20 HR and 61 RBI.

3. Octavio Dotel- This guy has been awesome almost all season long. This guy brings the fire and is right up in the baseball ranks for Ks (76). His 3.40 ERA will likely go down as the season moves on as a few bad games inflated that number. He has been an amazing 7th/8th inning bridge for Big Bobby Jenks.

4. Scott Linebrink- This guy has been great all season long! His recent absence in our bullpen let us all know just how important he is. His .092 WHIP is right up there with the best of them. His 19 holds 2.30 ERA are also impressive numbers. If the Sox are going to make another serious run at the title, they WILL need Linebrink healthy.

The X-Factors

5. Carlos Quentin As John Miller said "Carlos Quentin has been a revelation on the South Side". Where would the Sox be without this force in our lineup? With the struggles of Thome, and Konerko this guy truly stepped it up and carried the load for the first 2 months of the season. And he didnt stop there, he has been consistent all year long and is in the running for MVP in 2008. His #s speak for themself: .294 AVG, .398 OBP, 35 HR, and 97 RBI.

6. Alexie Ramirez- Another suprise. This guy has been amazing since he became the consistent starter at 2b. How does a guy that wirery hit the ball that hard. His swing is close to perfection, his speed is uncanny and his defense is remarkable! We have found the SS of the future and he is here on the SouthSide for cheap for 3 more seasons! His #s speak for themselves: .309 AVG, 55 RBI and 14 HR are pretty amazing in just 100 games.... this guy will only get better as time goes on, and i cant wait!

The early Christmas gift

7. Ken Griffey Jr.- The Sox wanted pitching, couldnt find anything worthy, so they decided to add another bat to decide to out-bash the opposition. So far it has been working! JR got his first White Sox HR yesterday and if this guy gets hot, and Konerko continues to improve, this may go down as one of the White Sox' deepest power team i have ever seen. I was at a game last week, looking at our lineup and seeing Cabrera, AJ, Quentin, Dye, Thome, Konerko, Ramirez, Griffey, Uribe.... with Swish on the bench, i was like WoW were powerful.

So yes KW has made ALL the right moves and i couldnt be more greatful.... however, were not done here... if dont make the playoffs, none of this matters IMO...gotta keep that bus moving.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
1) Orlando Cabrera- Brought his gold glove over, brought his winning attitude and has done a great job being up at the #1 spot in the order( a spot he isn't used to). His numbers are solid at .271 avg, 18 SBs, 7 HR and 50 RBI.

Sorry, but he left that in California

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 07:30 PM)
4. Scott Linebrink- This guy has been great all season long! His recent absence in our bullpen let us all know just how important he is. His .092 WHIP is right up there with the best of them. His 19 holds 2.30 ERA are also impressive numbers. If the Sox are going to make another serious run at the title, they WILL need Linebrink healthy.

You mean, makes him the greatest reliever of all time? ;)

I assume you meant 0.92 WHIP! Which is absolutely fantastic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)

When you look at it, it still wasn't a bad trade for the Tigers, becasuse it's essentially Cameron Maybin for Cabrera.

I never believed all the hype about Andrew Miller...he seemed very overhyped, and his stuff wasn't what everyone said it was. He looked more like Boone Logan than Matt Thornton out there.

Thankfully, the Tigers also traded Jurrgens away to the Braves.

That leaves Porcello (who has been solid but far from dominant in the FSL). We have our own version of Porcello in Poreda, although most scouts thought Porcello, especially for his age/experience, was much more advanced with his secondary pitches...we shall see.

If Bonderman is able to get healthy and Porcello matures, they have a very solid 1-3 with Verlander. Miner has shown flashes, I think Robertson's time is up too, although look what happened with Cliff Lee from last year to this one.

The problem is they have so many bad contracts now with Sheffield and Willis and Pudge, etc., they may have no choice but to unload Ordonez...which would set them back another year in competing in the AL Central.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)

When you look at it, it still wasn't a bad trade for the Tigers, becasuse it's essentially Cameron Maybin for Cabrera.

I never believed all the hype about Andrew Miller...he seemed very overhyped, and his stuff wasn't what everyone said it was. He looked more like Boone Logan than Matt Thornton out there.

That leaves Porcello (who has been solid but far from dominant in the FSL). We have our own version of Porcello in Poreda, although most scouts thought Porcello, especially for his age/experience, was much more advanced with his secondary pitches...we shall see.

If Bonderman is able to get healthy and Porcello matures, they have a very solid 1-3 with Verlander. Miner has shown flashes, I think Robertson's time is up too, although look what happened with Cliff Lee from last year to this one.

The problem is they have so many bad contracts now with Sheffield, Renteria, Willis and Pudge, etc., they may have no choice but to unload Ordonez...which would set them back another year in competing in the AL Central.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)

The problem is they have so many bad contracts now with Sheffield, Renteria, Willis and Pudge, etc., they may have no choice but to unload Ordonez...which would set them back another year in competing in the AL Central.

Well, Rodriguez they already traded...but that's a minor detail. Bigger detail is this...Justin Verlander is 9-13 with a 4.60 ERA this year. His peripherals haven't changed all that much from his career numbers either, but he's thrown a lot of pitches with a big fastball quite early in his career, and a lot of people have noticed that his stuff has taken a step back this season. I don't know what they have for next year in Verlander, and neither do they.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
You beat me to it... if Cabrera wins a Gold Glove this year I don't know what I'll do. It will be even worse than Jeter getting it.

Cabrera leads all major league shortstops in defensive win shares...by a lot

QUOTE (3E8 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
Cabrera leads all major league shortstops in defensive win shares...by a lot

Yea, it's not even close. I was a huge Cabrera trade hater before I saw him play one of the best gloves in the league for the last 120 games. He doesn't have the strongest arm, the best hands, or the best range -- but he's very solid in all of those areas. He's had a couple of "WTF" plays this year but by watching him and coupled with the advanced defensive metrics that have him pretty easily the best defensive SS in the AL this year he's made me a believer.

That's the great thing about SS, a guy can OPS 660 and because of defense can still be 3rd in the AL among SS in win shares. Only trailing Young and Peralta.

I was really down on KW last year, and his method of team building is pretty f***ing unorthadox, which makes him hard to give the benefit of the doubt to. He basically doesn't give a s*** about prospects but will gladly sign foreign players under the rader (Iguchi, A-Ram, Shingo) that he routinely gets big impacts out of.

His exploitation of the Dbacks this winter was simply a mark of genius. A common stereotype about KW is that he isn't a SABER guy, but then he goes out and gets a guy that has posted excellent OPS' at every league of baseball when not injured. Then he uses another sound management technique (trusting underlings like the training staff) to assure himself that the guy is over his injury problems.

KW makes his share of head scratchers, but more often than not he's dead on. He has totally earned my respect this season, even moreso than 2005. He has completely turned around a situation that most of us thought was hopeless, the addition of players like Floyd, Danks, Quentin and Ramirez he revamped the outlook this year and in the future for this team.

I don't think KW is the best GM in baseball, but he's def among the top 10.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 11:34 PM)

Orlando has done a prety decent job overall. I think at first he failed to be the team player we wanted to see, but the others brought him around as did Ozzie. I am not sure he will be looked at for next year, but if he was signed again I wouldn't mind. I can think of worse choices.