Sox Loser

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

We got bad Dotel tonight. I'm sorry but he's sucked in enough games that he can't be considered a phenom or pleasant surprise or a bullpen standout. Yes he's been decent. Yes he's helped us win some games and on some nights he's been outstanding. But you can't tell me he deserves the money he's making. No way.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Dotel may have been "8th on the list of our problems" but he was sickeningly bad.
I am not an expert but Thornton comes in pitches well and he's ousted for Dotel.. Or any one else.. Ozzie does it all the time.. Thornton should not have been taken out. Dotel should shake that sybil personality that wants to give up the gopher pitch.

I realize Dotel has been very good in some games. But are you aware we haven't reached the postseason since acquiring these former Royals pitchers including our new reliever to go with MacStiff? Hope they aren't a jinx. Look up Royals in the dictionary and you see the word "loser."

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Dotel is about 8th on the list of problems tonight.

I have been traveling for about a week, so I feel pretty out of touch with the team. I got in last night, and went to the game tonight. Not the way I wanted to be welcomed home. Worst game I have seen in a real long time. The lack of execution by any of our hitters was disgusting, and Ozzie probably had his worst game as a White Sox Manager tonight. Just a disgusting game all around, and thats being nice.

They need to pound the hell out of Tampa these next two games.

You just highlighted the problem that Guillen has...no team in MLB can go out and pound the likes of Edwin Jackson and Scott Kazmir on a consistent basis.

Sure, we can have Thornton go 2 innings every time out and not use Dotel again. But then, when Thornton's arm is about to fall off, who do you go to then, DJ Carrasco?

Do we now start to use Jenks in the 8th inning of games we are tied or down only one run?

This game is on the offense...we had something like 16 runners on base through the first 6 innings. When you only score 2 runs and leave that many runners on base, have 2 thrown out stealing and mix in some GIDP, well, then the eventual result is not a surprise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
We got bad Dotel tonight. I'm sorry but he's sucked in enough games that he can't be considered a phenom or pleasant surprise or a bullpen standout. Yes he's been decent. Yes he's helped us win some games and on some nights he's been outstanding

The Dotel Cinderella Story ended last night. I figured that his career numbers and lack of raw stuff catch up with him at some point, and he magically morphed back into a pumpkin in the 8th inning. Dotel had an outstanding April and May, and has had his share of moments since... but his numbers have steadily trended downward since. He just can't be trusted to hold leads right now. When he has a bad outing, he either turns a small lead into a two-run deficit or completely takes us out of a games that are within reach.

I pray that Linebrink is able to return soon, as I have no idea who in the heck would be a better 7th or 8th inning option right now.

Edited by WCSox

OK! It's a new day and I am charged again. The Sox can do this and can beat the Rays Saturday and Sunday. Our guys just have to play better and that goes especially for the relief corp. But, they have done it before and can do it again. Let's go out and get us some wins! B) :headbang :cheers :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
They have been playing great with the exception of yesterday. Dotel for the most part has been great this season. The sky isn't falling, the sox are only .5 games back.

Yeah, the Sox sure looked great against crappy teams like the A's, Royals, and Mariners. But they need to play at least .500 ball against the good teams. And their bullpen is an absolute mess right now.

They need to step up and make a statement against the Rays and Red Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)
I realize Dotel has been very good in some games. But are you aware we haven't reached the postseason since acquiring these former Royals pitchers including our new reliever to go with MacStiff? Hope they aren't a jinx. Look up Royals in the dictionary and you see the word "loser."

The Sox never reach the post season without at least 5- 10 years between appearances . If they make it this year it will be the 1st time ,since they started a playoff system, that they've made 2 appearances in less then a 5 year span. So there's no Royals reliever jinx.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
The Dotel Cinderella Story ended last night. I figured that his career numbers and lack of raw stuff catch up with him at some point, and he magically morphed back into a pumpkin in the 8th inning. Dotel had an outstanding April and May, and has had his share of moments since... but his numbers have steadily trended downward since. He just can't be trusted to hold leads right now. When he has a bad outing, he either turns a small lead into a two-run deficit or completely takes us out of a games that are within reach.

I pray that Linebrink is able to return soon, as I have no idea who in the heck would be a better 7th or 8th inning option right now.

Lack of raw stuff is not Dotel's problem. When ever you have a lot more K's than innings pitched like Dotel , you got good stuff. It's just location location location.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Lack of raw stuff is not Dotel's problem. When ever you have a lot more K's than innings pitched like Dotel , you got good stuff. It's just location location location.

Dotel tops out in the low 90's and doesn't really have an effective "out" pitch (e.g., Hoffman's changeup, K-Rod's breaking ball, etc.). Outside of the good movement on his two-seamer, I consider his stuff pretty average. Frankly, I'm amazed that he's able to rack up so many strikeouts.

But I agree that location is a big problem for him. And that really becomes magnified when you don't have an arsenal like Jenks or Linebrink.