Obama Names His VP

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:00 AM)
And the GOP just pooped themselves.

:lolhitting

Ummm, no. Although to be honest, no matter who the democrats picked, the dems would be saying "great pick, McCain is in trouble!" and the GOP would be saying "what a horrible pick!", so I'm not sure how much what anybody thinks matters. This seemed like a pretty obvious choice though for Obama, so I don't think you can say he screwed up making this pick. He took the safe route, and although he will be criticized for that as the "candidate of change", it's the right move for November.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:29 AM)
I think if you look at the what the GOP wanted Obama to do, it goes like this:

Kaine... Bayh... Biden... Clinton

They feared an Obama / Clinton ticket the most and were itching to paint Obama / Kaine as the least experienced ticket ever.

Clinton would have been a HORRIBLE pick, Obama was wise to not pick her. I actually thought he'd pick Kaine, but I'm not surprised by him picking Biden either. It was the safe pick, as long as Biden keeps his mouth shut (it is interesting he was the pick after what he said about Obama in 2007, although that was more a negative connotation of a certain race than anything else). I expect Obama's campaign to go more negative now too, that's for sure, although that's not nessesarily a bad idea because he's going to get blitzkrieged by the GOP. The fun part about this is that the Biden comments from 2007 will obviously come up and he will argue about things like comma placement in defense of it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
The fun part about this is that the Biden comments from 2007 will obviously come up and he will argue about things like comma placement in defense of it.

Oh, I'm itching for a McCain-Romney Ticket. THAT is gonna be a lot of fun. They really ripped into each other. You can argue policy, but when one says the other isnt "authentic".. ouch.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
Oh, I'm itching for a McCain-Romney Ticket. THAT is gonna be a lot of fun. They really ripped into each other. You can argue policy, but when one says the other isnt "authentic".. ouch.

It would be funny if that happened. Two tickets who both appeared to have completely burned down bridges to ever get along. The fact that there is an Obama/Biden ticket and very well could be a McCain/Romney ticket tells you how important "electability" is now a days. Biden also said "Right now I don't believe he is. The presidency isn't something that lends itself to on the job training" when asked if he thinks Obama is ready to be president, and then stood by it, during 2007. Now I understand that was when he was in the race, but the GOP is going to jump all over that, guaranteed. Between Biden and McCain, you've got two of the great tempers in the history of presidential tickets regardless of party, so this SHOULD be fun. I think this is going to be an ugly and negative campaign run by both parties, ESPECIALLY if McCain picks Lieberman or Romney because that gives the dems a lot of targets to fire at too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:40 AM)
It would be funny if that happened. Two tickets who both appeared to have completely burned down bridges to ever get along. The fact that there is an Obama/Biden ticket and very well could be a McCain/Romney ticket tells you how important "electability" is now a days. Biden also said "Right now I don't believe he is. The presidency isn't something that lends itself to on the job training" when asked if he thinks Obama is ready to be president, and then stood by it, during 2007. Now I understand that was when he was in the race, but the GOP is going to jump all over that, guaranteed. Between Biden and McCain, you've got two of the great tempers in the history of presidential tickets regardless of party, so this SHOULD be fun. I think this is going to be an ugly and negative campaign run by both parties, ESPECIALLY if McCain picks Lieberman or Romney because that gives the dems a lot of targets to fire at too.

The ad is already out.

Edited by Alpha Dog

The "GOP" (even though it's not my party) is HAPPY with this pick because Biden is a hypocritical douche.

I thought it would be Biden some months ago, so I'm not surprised. In fact, I have it posted here somewhere, I'll have to go find it (in the same realm of a PHT post of SEE I WAS RIGHT LOLERZ LLOLL!@$#!#%)... :lolhitting

I am not a huge Biden fan. I think he has some baggage (plagiarism, bankruptcy bill) but by and large he makes sense as a good pick.

Can't attack Biden on family values, can't attack Biden on experience, and Biden adds the same level of foreign policy expertise that Dick Cheney did to a Bush nomination in 2000.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 09:12 AM)
I am not a huge Biden fan. I think he has some baggage (plagiarism, bankruptcy bill) but by and large he makes sense as a good pick.

Can't attack Biden on family values, can't attack Biden on experience, and Biden adds the same level of foreign policy expertise that Dick Cheney did to a Bush nomination in 2000.

The plagiarism thing was largely debunked. He gave the same speech many times and only once he forgot to source it. Most likely a writing mistake.

And by the way, Biden only has one home ;)

Well, not my top pick, but not bad either. I think Richardson or Kaine would have been better choices.

On the bad for Biden, the bankruptcy bill sticks out to me. But he's got some good too - foreign policy experience, for example. One thing I always respected Biden for was, early in the primary season, he was the ONLY candidate in either party to offer an Iraq plan that wasn't basically "get out now" or "stay the course". And at that time, I think his plan was a good one. It wouldn't work now, and the situation has changed a lot, but I thought it was good to see a candidate offer a real alternative.

The whole bankruptcy bill really hurts Biden in my mind. But his occasional brilliant quips "noun, verb, 9/11" make up for his verbal gaffes and he is probably the best democrat in terms of foreign policy in the senate, and it's a senate seat that wouldn't be in danger. Richardson's supposed womanizing would have eliminated him.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
He called him Barack America.

Obama also introduced Biden as "the next President" until he caught himself. :lolhitting

I think we've all done something like that. We get so excited that our lips move ahead of our brain. Not an excuse, just sayin. Heck, I know I've done it.

It was pretty funny.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
I think we've all done something like that. We get so excited that our lips move ahead of our brain. Not an excuse, just sayin. Heck, I know I've done it.

It was pretty funny.

Well there is at least one of those in every speech, especially when they are long ones.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 01:28 PM)
"These Times Require More Than A Good Soldier, They Require A Wise Leader"

NICE SHOT JOE!

EDIT: Quote Corrected.

Watch McCain say something like "but I am a wise leader, my 5+ years as a POW proves it"