No one's made a Sox loser thread after 8/23 loss

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Didn't see the game because of work but read the sad story. Not only have the Sox lost 2 at home so far to a hot Rays team but the Twins decide to play well on the road against an Angels team that is slumping a bit. I've been around Sox fans long enough to know that we're afraid we're losing our grip on 1st place for good. Little by little the lead shrunk and now the Twins have overtaken the lead playing decent ball on the road against an Angels team that suddenly got cold . We see our playoffs chances fading away. Really hard at this point not to give in to the hopelessness. The Twins road trip was supposed to give the Sox breathing room to extent the lead . Most of us would like a 3-5 game lead heading into the series at MN but it sure looks like that won't be the case.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Really hard at this point not to give in to the hopelessness.

I'm not close to giving in to the hopelessness.

I am getting close to not expecting a playoff berth and just being pleasantly surprised and really happy if we get one. Every Twin win tends to make me more of a believer in them. Deep down I've been thinking and hoping Minnesota would completely tank.

We have a very good team, though, and have veterans and sometimes veterans prevail over inexperience. It's too bad we faded today. That would have been a very very nice win against a first-place team.

This was a terrible terrible loss. The only good thing that can come out of it is Vazquez pitched great and last time we were embarassed by Tampa the Sox went on fire. All we can hope for now is that Buehrle minimizes the damage tommorow and prepare for a big series in baltimore where we have the extra game.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
This was a terrible terrible loss. The only good thing that can come out of it is Vazquez pitched great and last time we were embarassed by Tampa the Sox went on fire. All we can hope for now is that Buehrle minimizes the damage tommorow and prepare for a big series in baltimore where we have the extra game.

Javy did that today and Danks did that yesterday, and we didn't win either.

Can we please hit Sonnanstine? He isn't exactly Walter Johnson or anything.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 10:00 PM)
will the earth explode when the rays and twins play each other in a dome later this week?

i don't think nostradomus could predict the outcome of that series, my money is on the twins though

The next time they play is September 18.

If we don't make the playoffs, which is looking more and more likely without Linebrink, I'll definitely be rooting for TB.

If all else fails, I will root for the Twins agains the Angels/Red Sox.

I guess Longoria's supposed to come back in the first week of September...and there's still a possibility that Crawford will come back, although much less likely.

Yes, I know 21 of Minnesota's next 27 games are on the road. It's just that only 8 of their remaining games are against teams over .500. Actually, the way Cleveland's playing, they've become extremely dangerous, especially if you're unlucky enough to catch Cliff Lee.

I think Ozzie should have put Carrasco in after the lead off man reached in the 8th, and certainly after the 2nd man reached that inning. D.J. is really the only guy we can trust down there besides Jenks, but the bigger point is there is trouble if you can only trust two guys in your bullpen. What an unfortunate turn for Javy as well, and we need to score more than 3 runs on offense. However, today's game is a game you MUST MUST win if you want to make the playoffs.

GODDAMMIT and there goes my prediction for a 4.5 game lead. I should probably just stab myself for being wrong, because that way I can live to see it, but then I'll suffer more. I guess 2.5 will have to work. You know, I f***ing planned this all out, to the Swisher homer and everything, and I was really figuring the Sox would beat Kazmir, and then f***ing Thornton. f***in f*** f*** f*** s*** cock f*** b**** ass f*** whore cocksucking son of a b**** I'll slap the f***ing cott out of your name you Skazmir son of a f***. f*** you Scott Kazmir, I hope you get whiskey dick unexpectedly tonight with your hot girlfriend, especially if your sober, you Texas piece of s*** (no offense to anybody else from Texas, because there are a lot of them, and I love them all).

GODDAMMIT.

And, oh yeah, Ozzieshouldhavegonetothepensooner, Twinsaref***ingghey, atleasttheAngelswon, I'veneverrootedharderforsomeonetobreakarecordaSoxplayerheldinmyentirelife, and f***.the.Twins.

Goddammit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:53 AM)
GODDAMMIT and there goes my prediction for a 4.5 game lead. I should probably just stab myself for being wrong, because that way I can live to see it, but then I'll suffer more. I guess 2.5 will have to work. You know, I f***ing planned this all out, to the Swisher homer and everything, and I was really figuring the Sox would beat Kazmir, and then f***ing Thornton. f***in f*** f*** f*** s*** cock f*** b**** ass f*** whore cocksucking son of a b**** I'll slap the f***ing cott out of your name you Skazmir son of a f***. f*** you Scott Kazmir, I hope you get whiskey dick unexpectedly tonight with your hot girlfriend, especially if your sober, you Texas piece of s*** (no offense to anybody else from Texas, because there are a lot of them, and I love them all).

GODDAMMIT.

And, oh yeah, Ozzieshouldhavegonetothepensooner, Twinsaref***ingghey, atleasttheAngelswon, I'veneverrootedharderforsomeonetobreakarecordaSoxplayerheldinmyentirelife, and f***.the.Twins.

Goddammit.

goddammit

I have a love/hate for our bullpen. It's funny watching Dotel - he still throws it over the plate like he has a 98 mph heater, saying c'mon, let's see you hit it. But now it's 92. And Thornton, like someone else said, is more effective when he's starting an inning, but that really shouldn't make a difference. That points to mental midgetry, imo. I get pissed at talented players like Boone Logan who should be helping this team right now but instead don't have their heads screwed on right. We need a pick me up in the pen right now and his name is Aaron Poreda - please give him a plane ticket to Chicago.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
Stop yelling.

No one knows when he is supposed to come back, and that includes Linebrink and Cooper. Now in my opinion, if the Sox weren't in a playoff race, Linebrink would have been shut down for the season weeks ago. I give him credit for trying to come back, but I don't think it happens. If it does, I can't imagine him being any where near as effective as he was in the first half.

Losing Linebrink was the biggest blow to this team all season. The Sox went from an above average pen to poor overnight.

Agreed. In fact, I think most would agree. I think we need him to come back healthy if we intend on making the playoffs/making any noise in the playoffs. The bullpen has had some strong runs during his absence, but it's been awful for the most part.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
I have a love/hate for our bullpen. It's funny watching Dotel - he still throws it over the plate like he has a 98 mph heater, saying c'mon, let's see you hit it. But now it's 92. And Thornton, like someone else said, is more effective when he's starting an inning, but that really shouldn't make a difference. That points to mental midgetry, imo. I get pissed at talented players like Boone Logan who should be helping this team right now but instead don't have their heads screwed on right. We need a pick me up in the pen right now and his name is Aaron Poreda - please give him a plane ticket to Chicago.

Jenks made the transition to closer, but he had at least four minor league seasons of experience I think, and a full repertoire of pitches, particularly a more developed off-speed pitch.

Poreda, if we were very lucky, would be a good "back-up" option to Thornton and could rest Matt's arm and prevent overuse, especially so that he wouldn't have to pitch in back-to-back games. The same problems usually occur with Jenks when he is used back-to-back, pitches more than one inning or has elevated pitch counts over a number of appearances.

I'm sure they will discuss bringing him up in September, but they will use him very carefully, if they do make that decision...hand-picking the situations and limiting his exposure if he gets knocked around.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 10:22 AM)
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN LINEBRINK IS SCHEDULED TO COME BACK?

Looks like they're shooting for 9/1 at the very earliest, but Ozzie seems less optimistic...

Linebrink has been progressing in his long-toss program, but there is little reason to believe he can return to the form that helped solidify the Sox' bullpen in the first half. Best-case scenario is the veteran right-hander returns around Sept. 1, when rosters expand, allowing the Sox to carry extra relievers.

''Hopefully, he can come back sooner than that [but] I don't believe so,'' Guillen said. ''I don't think he is going to be pain-free, but hopefully he can feel good enough to perform for one inning.''

At this point, Guillen figures it will be a bonus to get either Linebrink or Crede back before the end of the season.

''It would be a super bonus, especially Linebrink,'' Guillen said. ''If we had Linebrink back in our bullpen, our bullpen will be outstanding. We're still waiting for it. Hopefully, he will get there before we think.''

Link

Scott Linebrink 15-Day DL Aug 20

Comment: Linebrink (shoulder) threw without discomfort on Tuesday and may throw again from the side on Wednesday, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Link

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
If the Sox miss the playoffs by anything less than 4 games, I will blame health.

Last year, the Sox were 72-90 with a bottom tier minor league system. This year, without spending a ton of money in the off-season, the Sox have lead the American League Central for most of the year, and find themselves in the thick of a playoff race near the end of August. To get to that point without going crazy in free agency, Williams thinned himself out to be competitive. I have absolutely no problem with that strategy, but the hole to that plan is obviously injury. When an injury hits an organization with very little depth, the results are going to be felt.

I'd say if we miss the playoffs, it's about a 50/50 split in terms of blame between health and playing stupid/sloppy baseball (mostly stupid, even some of the sloppy this year can be attributed to stupidity). As for the strategy this year, you HAVE to have a strategy like we do with our lack of help available in the farm system. Talentwise, KW did an INCREDIBLE job turning over the roster and the results from last season. The problem is, this team is not very smart/fundementally sound and makes too many errors/poor defensive plays, and that combined with poor health is killing us.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
The problem is, this team is not very smart/fundementally sound and makes too many errors/poor defensive plays, and that combined with poor health is killing us.

They've been coming up with some very creative ways of shooting themselves in the foot recently.