White Sox vs. Rays - 1:05 CSN, TBS

Jake

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
considering the difference in ops is almost entirely obp driven, and after adjusting for league factors, id rather have vazquez in the rotation and swisher in the OF over young anytime

No, it's Vizcaino, Chris Young, Ryan Sweeney, DeLos Santos and Gio Gonzalez for Swisher and Vazquez. It shouldn't be very expensive at all to buy that type of production from a DH/1B on the free agent market. It is much harder to find young/speedy/power-hitting/strong defense CFers.

And Vazquez has almost NEVER won a big ballgame for the White Sox (this goes back to 2006 and the bomb he gave up in DET against Craig Monroe). At least Chris Young, essentially a rookie, was one of the leaders on a playoff team last season, although this year has been rougher for him.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
It's something that gets lost in the shuffle, but Konerko has had just an atrocious season.

I think everyone realizes this, even though he has gotten it together a tad, but it seemed like he came up in the 1st half with guys on base every time and rarely to never came through.

I probably think this because he's set lofty standards for himself, but Q should have crushed that 2-0 pitch, just wasn't ready for it and was too late on the swing. And now, an easy out on the 3-2 pitch.

I haven't been able to gather in our encounters with them how good this Rays team really is, but they take advantage of the other teams mistakes and pitch well, a team perfectly built to beat on the 2008 White Sox.

That's about the worst 3-0 swing you'll ever see, a fitting achievement for a team like this. If we lose this game, for the first time this year I'd consider us the underdog in this race. It's hard to win games when you have to play against both the opponent and yourself.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
FWIW, I'm 99 pct sure that Balfour is a huge HGH guy.

Wouldn't doubt it. Never had an ERA below 4.15 and that includes years where he had ERA's of 13 and 7.50 and never struck guys out at the rate he has.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
FWIW, I'm 99 pct sure that Balfour is a huge HGH guy.

No question about it, Stone and Farmer talked about it yesterday and weren't being too vague about why he's been so good this year. Balfour goes on the same list as Soto, in the "ahh f*** it, I can't play, I'll take HGH and see if it works" category.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
since when did straight 94 mph fastballs with 0 offspeed pitches become so hard to hit?

Please don't ask Hawk this. He will go on forever about how the best pitch in baseball is well located fastball.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
That's about the worst 3-0 swing you'll ever see, a fitting achievement for a team like this. If we lose this game, for the first time this year I'd consider us the underdog in this race. It's hard to win games when you have to play against both the opponent and yourself.

its a horrible series because we lost 3 games in a playoff hunt, but frankly i dont look at this tampa team and think "man they whipped our ass this weekend"...outside of the bullpens right now, we are every bit as good as they are, we just shot ourselves in the foot, and they had a few mroe clutch hits than us

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Wouldn't doubt it. Never had an ERA below 4.15 and that includes years where he had ERA's of 13 and 7.50 and never struck guys out at the rate he has.

That info was told to me through someone in Tampa's front office.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
That swing was fine, just underneath it.

If you swing 3-0 and don't crush the ball, it's a bad swing no matter how much you just got underneath it. It goes against the concept of basic mathematics to swing 3-0, so you better crush it.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 24, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
its a horrible series because we lost 3 games in a playoff hunt, but frankly i dont look at this tampa team and think "man they whipped our ass this weekend"...outside of the bullpens right now, we are every bit as good as they are, we just shot ourselves in the foot, and they had a few mroe clutch hits than us

Can't give away games you should win, and the White Sox are baseball's unchallenged leader in that category.