Can Doug Eddings work all sox games?

wilmot825

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
I really don't see it as being much different from a batter who sticks his elbow out on purpose to get hit by a pitch. That happens all the time, and I don't think I've ever seen an ump not award 1st base.

or the neighborhood play, or the interference play at 2B.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
Borderline? C'mon. Was AJP impeded at all? He stuck his elbow out. He made contact and fell down doing so. It was a great play by him, but a horrific call. We will all take it, however. Maybe the worst, or best call of the year depending on who you are cheering for.

If a defensive player is within elbows reach of a baserunner, I would say that is too close and in the path of the baserunner. It would've been different if AJ reached out and slapped him with his arm fully extended, but it was his elbow half-cocked while he is changing directions.

Players run with their hands out all the time, and especially to regain balance when changing directions. AJ knew the defensive player was in his path, so just by touching him would make it a possible obstruction call.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
If a defensive player is within elbows reach of a baserunner, I would say that is too close and in the path of the baserunner. It would've been different if AJ reached out and slapped him with his arm fully extended, but it was his elbow half-cocked while he is changing directions.

Players run with their hands out all the time, and especially to regain balance when changing directions. AJ knew the defensive player was in his path, so just by touching him would make it a possible obstruction call.

The funny thing is, if he didn't go so out of his way to make contact with the guy, he never would have fallen and wouldn't have been the benefit of a bad call. There is no way you would see the play the same way if it went against the White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
The funny thing is, if he didn't go so out of his way to make contact with the guy, he never would have fallen and wouldn't have been the benefit of a bad call. There is no way you would see the play the same way if it went against the White Sox.

We could probably pull up the old OC (I think?) thread where he slid into 2nd base and was called on that one. These seem like very similar plays. One went for the Sox, one went against the Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)

Thank you, DA.

That's the point here. Crede sticks his elbow out on an easy curve ball in 05, it's the right call, but everyone jumps on it. OC interferes at 2nd, it's called correctly, same thing. AJ gets to first on a the dropped 3rd...that happens to us and we lose the WS, people would say the WS was stolen from us. I mean people are still complaining about a missed call on opening day, and how that could cost us the season. Unbelievable. I'm sure we have never been the recipient of a missed call, all season. Oh wait.

Now when we are the beneficiary of a wrong call, most try to defend the ruling, when if the opposite happened, this place would be up in arms, and we all know it.

The bias is just retarded around here. What does everyone get out of it? Does it make you feel better as a fan? Everyone please stop being like Hawk. The umps aren't out to screw the white sox, and wrong calls are going to happen, on both sides of the equation.

What's even better is what people 'think' the rule should be, instead of the actual rule and the interpretation of such rule.

I'm as happy as anyone else that we won the game. You need breaks like that and some blown calls to go your way as well. But more objectivity around here would be great.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:45 AM)
For anyone who thinks this is the right call:

Trib

He did it on purpose and admits it.

That's fine with me. If AJ is able to exploit Upton's laziness or Eddings' poor judgement to help the Sox win, I'm all for it. It's not like he's getting an unfair advantage by using PEDs or taping the opponents' signals with a video camera.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Thank you, DA.

That's the point here. Crede sticks his elbow out on an easy curve ball in 05, it's the right call, but everyone jumps on it. OC interferes at 2nd, it's called correctly, same thing. AJ gets to first on a the dropped 3rd...that happens to us and we lose the WS, people would say the WS was stolen from us. I mean people are still complaining about a missed call on opening day, and how that could cost us the season. Unbelievable. I'm sure we have never been the recipient of a missed call, all season. Oh wait.

Now when we are the beneficiary of a wrong call, most try to defend the ruling, when if the opposite happened, this place would be up in arms, and we all know it.

The bias is just retarded around here. What does everyone get out of it? Does it make you feel better as a fan? Everyone please stop being like Hawk. The umps aren't out to screw the white sox, and wrong calls are going to happen, on both sides of the equation.

What's even better is what people 'think' the rule should be, instead of the actual rule and the interpretation of such rule.

I'm as happy as anyone else that we won the game. You need breaks like that and some blown calls to go your way as well. But more objectivity around here would be great.

Blah, I think you are reading too far into this. Was it a terrible call? Yes it was, and I'd be pissed if I were a Rays fan. It was a call that also helped us win a game. However, on opening day, a bad umpire ruling (actually more than one) was a big reason if not the main reason we lost the game. Yesterday was just a case of the baseball gods evening it out, so we should not feel bad at all. We realize we got a break, we'll take it, let's move on. No big deal.

"As soon as A.J. tripped, he yelled 'Obstruction.' I looked at the umpire, thinking he was going to say something like, 'Are you kidding me?' And [the ump] was like, 'Yep, yep, yep.'"

-- Rays shortstop Jason Bartlett, on the rundown play Sunday involving White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski, who admittedly initiated contact with Tampa Bay third baseman Willy Aybar

Link

That was pretty much the highlight of the year for me.

-Taking second off of the tremendously retarded B.J. Upton. The Rays should give that knucklehead a Full Metal Jacket style beatdown.

-Taking third off of Aybar in what had to be one of the smartest plays that I'll ever see.

I love AJ. He'll go down as one of my all-time favorite White Sox players.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Blah, I think you are reading too far into this. Was it a terrible call? Yes it was, and I'd be pissed if I were a Rays fan. It was a call that also helped us win a game. However, on opening day, a bad umpire ruling (actually more than one) was a big reason if not the main reason we lost the game. Yesterday was just a case of the baseball gods evening it out, so we should not feel bad at all. We realize we got a break, we'll take it, let's move on. No big deal.

You've been around here long enough, and you've seen the stuff I'm talking about, I know you have. Also, concerning opening day, while the Crede tag was obviously a factor and missed, the OC play was not a bad ruling. But, if you want your even-out world, you got it for these 2 games. But correct me if I'm wrong, weren't you insinuating that if we missed out on the playoffs by a game, you'd point at opening day as the reason? I know you're better than that, so maybe I misinterpreted that part in some of your posts.

You are one of about 3 people around here who can probably admit calls even out/there isn't a conspiracy against the white sox/calls do go our way sometimes and not always against us.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)
You've been around here long enough, and you've seen the stuff I'm talking about, I know you have. Also, concerning opening day, while the Crede tag was obviously a factor and missed, the OC play was not a bad ruling. But, if you want your even-out world, you got it for these 2 games. But correct me if I'm wrong, weren't you insinuating that if we missed out on the playoffs by a game, you'd point at opening day as the reason? I know you're better than that, so maybe I misinterpreted that part in some of your posts.

You are one of about 3 people around here who can probably admit calls even out/there isn't a conspiracy against the white sox/calls do go our way sometimes and not always against us.

Nope, somebody posted that in the catch all thread actually and I rebutted saying that if we miss the playoffs it'll be because of all the games we gave (and will continue to give) away. As for the even out world, realistically we didn't lose just because of the Crede call on opening day and we didn't win just because of the Eddings call yesterday. But both were big reasons as to the results of the games, so that is where I say it evens out.