50 FAVORITE WHITE SOX PLAYERS

knightni

17. Carlos Quentin

Q.jpg

(10 of 27 lists - 116 points - highest ranking #8 Heads22)

Bios by Heads22, greg775 and wikipedia -

On December 3rd, 2007, Quentin was traded to the Chicago White Sox for minor league first baseman Chris Carter. Carter played for the low Class A Kannapolis Intimidators in 2007 and was considered one of the White Sox' best prospects.

In 2008, Quentin has been a huge surprise for the White Sox, emerging to become one of the team's best hitters. Through August 18th, he was ranking among American League leaders in home runs (first, 35), slugging percentage (third, .586), OPS (third, .981), and runs batted in (third, 96). Quentin's strong season has drawn calls for a possible AL MVP award. After Quentin hit his 35th HR in a 13-5 rout of the Mariners on August 18th, White Sox catcher AJ Pierzynski said, "As far as I'm concerned, Quentin has been the American League MVP."

White Sox fans have bestowed the nickname "TCQ," standing for "The Carlos Quentin." The name originates from a quote from GM Kenny Williams after he acquired Quentin. He said, "We wanted to upgrade at shortstop, get a setup guy for the bullpen, acquire Carlos Quentin, and not a guy like him but actually Carlos Quentin,"

Quentin's other local nickname is "Q-uperman". The "Q-uperman" sign has received much love at U.S. Cellular, and is steadily growing among online communities. Many a time has the sign, depicting Quentin as Superman with an "S" on his chest, been shown on the jumbotron at the park, and it has even received mention in the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times, as well as on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.

Due to Jim Thome's slow start, manager Ozzie Guillén promoted red-hot Quentin up the batting order into Thome's customary third spot for one game against the Angels in Anaheim. Quentin delivered a key eighth-inning grand slam, breaking a 1-1 tie, and kicked off a run that saw the White Sox win 10 of 12 games and charge to first place. He has since stayed firmly in the 3rd spot in the order. During a nationally televised home game on May 25, Quentin clocked two home runs off of the Angels' John Lackey and drove in all of the White Sox runs in a 3-2 walk-off victory. His towering home runs have drawn comparisons to sluggers such as José Canseco and Luis Gonzalez. Angels center fielder Torii Hunter characterized his pure power as "tremendous pop, like Hulk Hogan. He's crazy strong."

greg775 -

Carlos hit a whopping 14 home runs in two seasons with Arizona. So who knew he'd have this kind of success with the White Sox?? Kenny Williams I guess.

I don't think Carlos made my top 25 list because of the fact he's a first year player. But I can understand why he'd be somebody's top five Sox player of all time.

The guy has been such a find. I think we'd all agree w/out Carlos, our team probably would be languishing at or around .500. He's been that much of a spark.

I love the fact he crowds the plate and dares pitchers to hit him. He takes it for the team quite often, obviously willing to get plunked 'cause in return he can get his bat on a lot of outside pitches and drive them.

I personally think he's a young Magglio Ordonez, s*** maybe even a greater upside.

I don't have a lot more to say about a first-year player, except I love his batting stance, love his knack for getting clutch hits, love his bombs in this new non-steroid era.

Congrats Carlos, keep it going cause we need you if we are going to even make the playoffs much less win another WS title.

Heads22 -

When we acquired TCQ, I was excited that we wouldn't have to see Jerry Owens patrolling centerfield. Each and damn near every game since we acquired him, both in Spring Training and in the regular season, he's done little to diminish himself in my eyes. His throw to take out Renteria in Detroit as he was jogging back to first, cemented his place in my heart, and everything he's done at the plate has made him a very easy choice.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
As much as I love him I just couldnt put him on my list.He has been here a half of year, that just wouldnt be right.

That's the way I felt about it too.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

He's quickly moving up my list of fav sox players. I love the way he plays the game (doesn't hurt that he's very very good) but he's also a pretty humble guy, he went to stanford so he's obviously an intelligent person and he plays hard. Doesn't ever seem to take a play off.

Edited by bighurt4life

I felt weird doing his bio and commentary. Or I should say copying and pasting his bio from the great Wikipedia.

I felt guilty cause I don't feel the manlove for CQ yet in terms of him being an all time favorite. He's so new he's not on my all time list yet.

He's been great so far. Hope we keep winning and he gets MVP.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 25, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
2-3 years from now, Carlos might deservedly crack the top 3.

He is, as steve mentioned earlier, a f***ing beast.

If he keeps up the combination of the quiet/reserved approach and the huge numbers, there is no doubt he will be near the top. So far I love the kid, but like I said, I didn't vote for anyone in their first year here.