Nine year-old throws 40 mph!

knightni

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
The last 2 years I've coached in a 9-10 year old league. I had 3 kids this year one nine and two 10 that threw over 40 mph. And they are hittable. The kids in that age group that throw 50 mph are tougher to hit, but still they are hittable. The next age group 11-12 year olds, the Majors, throw over 60 mph.

When I coached in a 7-8 year old league we didn't let the kids pitch, they faced a pitching machine that was set at 37 mph, so I really don't see the big deal with this kid.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. For me as an adult, actually I don't even know if it's physically possible for me to get a ball 60 feet straight ahead and have it travel less than 40 mph. That's a soft lob with a routine step forward for me and I throw faster than that playing catch. So for a kid to be able to throw as hard as this kid is not at all uncommon, and when one does throw that hard, they might be good, but not THAT good. If he could throw, say, 65, that's another story.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
If we are all saying its no big deal, then why is this kid so dominant?

Maybe he's pitching to 8 and 9 year olds who just came up from a coaches pitch league. In most coaches pitch leagues the coach will just loab the ball over the plate almost like slow pitch softball. Maybe the kids in his league just suck :lolhitting

When I throw batting practice to my 9-10 year olds, I know I'm throwing over 40 mph.