Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

Well there's really not a whole lot of similarities between Lincoln and Reagan either, both were Republicans, but the party had changed so much during that century-plus time that it's really not even relevant anymore.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-jabs-oba.html

I already thought that him doing his speech in a different venue than every other democrat at the convention had a nice little touch of arrogance to it, but this is too much. Who does he think he is, Zeus? I swear, sometimes I wonder if Obama is just completely unaware of his weaknesses, or just ignores them. And neither is a good thing.

i. agree.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:19 PM)
I believe, that in this point in time, Hillary would be a lock to beat McCain. I'm not so sure Obama can.

Why? Because of her speech last night? Because Obama has dropped some points in the polls? I don't really see the reasoning behind that...if she couldn't win the primaries how could she be a lock for the presidency?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:40 PM)
The videos of her was all with the "Clinton" signs behind her. NONE of them had Obama signs. Symbolic? You bet your ass. This was her convention, and she got outdueled (I still haven't figured out how).

They hand out the signs...if you look at the Kennedy speech everyone is holding Kennedy signs

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Why? Because of her speech last night? Because Obama has dropped some points in the polls? I don't really see the reasoning behind that...if she couldn't win the primaries how could she be a lock for the presidency?

They hand out the signs...if you look at the Kennedy speech everyone is holding Kennedy signs

Why? Because I think Hillary was s*** on by the party and that Obama peaked too soon. I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying I'm a political pundit, but it's just my opinion at this point in time.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Why? Because I think Hillary was s*** on by the party and that Obama peaked too soon. I'm not saying I'm right and I'm not saying I'm a political pundit, but it's just my opinion at this point in time.

Hey, sorry, i wasn't trying attack you. I was just confused as to why someone could be a lock to win over the nation when she couldn't even win her party over.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 02:08 PM)
Hey, sorry, i wasn't trying attack you. I was just confused as to why someone could be a lock to win over the nation when she couldn't even win her party over.

It's all about the matchups my friend. Just because Clinton lost to Obama doesn't change the fact that she was a better fit to take on McCain at this point in time in the minds of a lot of people. And those people may very well be right.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)

I didn't take it as an attack on me. Legit question.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)

No, the video montage before she ever took the stage... she could have put clips in there of her and Obama, but nope, it was HER and HER campaign.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)

I hope you're right, for the sake of the country.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
No, the video montage before she ever took the stage... she could have put clips in there of her and Obama, but nope, it was HER and HER campaign.

She had nothing to do with the planning of the video montage....Could have had Obama in the Kennedy video as well. (He was an early supporter) I believe the reason behind it is because those video's are supposed to be a tribute to the person that it is about. Same story with the Jimmy Carter video. I agree it would have been a very good thing to do, especially for the TV audience.

That is the problem I am seeing with the Dems and this convention, they are gearing the Pepsi center stuff more for the people in the Pepsi center and not the millions of American's watching on TV.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I hope you're right, for the sake of the country.

Well, I'll say this much in response. Obama scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him ... and before anybody throws race into the equation ... I gave Obama a legitimate chance early in the primaries. In fact, I despised Hillary and Obama was an unknown in my mind. Today, I'd vote for Hillary in a heartbeat over Obama. That said, I also plan to vote McCain in the general .... BUT!!!!! ... If he actually is a continuation of GWB then we are f***ed either way we go.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Well, I'll say this much in response. Obama scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him ... and before anybody throws race into the equation ... I gave Obama a legitimate chance early in the primaries. In fact, I despised Hillary and Obama was an unknown in my mind. Today, I'd vote for Hillary in a heartbeat over Obama. That said, I also plan to vote McCain in the general .... BUT!!!!! ... If he actually is a continuation of GWB then we are f***ed either way we go.

You just summed it up pretty well for me.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Generally speaking people in this forum don't unnecessarily inject race into arguments when talking about Obama, except to counter accusations of race-baiting.

I really don't think anyone on Soxtalk that I have seen has any hang ups about Obama's race themselves. It has been talked about in discussions of other situations, but I don't see anyone here not voting for the guy because of the color of his skin.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-jabs-oba.html

I already thought that him doing his speech in a different venue than every other democrat at the convention had a nice little touch of arrogance to it, but this is too much. Who does he think he is, Zeus? I swear, sometimes I wonder if Obama is just completely unaware of his weaknesses, or just ignores them. And neither is a good thing.

Will they hand out Olive branches?

I think this talk that Clinton is in better position to beat McCain is missing some key facts that became clear in the primaries. One, Obama was waaaaay better at building a ground game. Two, he was a lot more positivist in his campaign, which appealed to a lot of people. Three, his charisma and that positivism helped draw huge numbers of new voters - something we haven't seen a candidate do in a long time.

Add those already-present factors to the fact that Obama's particular profile draws a bunch of new states into the race (VA, NC, MT, etc.), and Obama's amazing ability to raise cash, means that Obama is far better equiped to win in November than Clinton would have been.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)

Why does Obama scare the hell out of you?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Why does Obama scare the hell out of you?

I think its interesting that so many GOP'ers were using this "scares me" and "anyone but X" argument against Hillary in the primaries, but now that Obama has the nomination, they are using it on him.

One can, and should, question whether or not Obama can deliver on his promises. Same of McCain, although he promises a lot less, which may be more realistic. But this idea that Obama is somehow less trustworthy is just strange to me. None of us know these people personally, but in my perception, I think Obama was probably the most worthy of my trust of any of the major candidates in either party.

I think more convention speakers need to wear cowboy hats. I dig that.

PS: Unless I havent said it enough times, I covet that stage. Seriously I want it. Anyone know how I can steal it and put it in the church I work for? I could have a lot of fun with that.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000