Democratic Convention Talk

HuskyCaucasian

Obama seems like a good guy who is intelligent, so that puts him two steps ahead of the current president and thus he doesn't "scare the hell out of me". However, he does scare me. As much as people say it doesn't, his lack of experience DOES matter. The fact he's made it this far at his young age is incredible, but his lack of experience bothers me. He makes a lot of promises than I don't know if he can keep. He's an EXCELLENT speaker, but the fact that he is makes me nervous in a way because I wonder if he is talking his away around what he really thinks and will really do. He doesn't have enough substance for my liking either, and that makes me worried he'll turn well to the left if he wins the presidency.

Now to be fair, I am afraid of McCain in some ways too. I'm afraid he'll die in office, I'm afraid the turn to the right he's taken to try and appeal to the wacky Rush Limbaugh types might not be temporary, I worry that although it's fiction that he'll be a "3rd term of Bush", it might not be fiction that he'll be a war monger. I worry he's going to pick Mitt Romney as his VP. I think, to be truthful, that both candidates could be very good presidents and could also be very bad presidents. We have better options than we did in 2004 for the presidential election on both sides, but these options can also be confusing at times.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
One can, and should, question whether or not Obama can deliver on his promises. Same of McCain, although he promises a lot less, which may be more realistic. But this idea that Obama is somehow less trustworthy is just strange to me. None of us know these people personally, but in my perception, I think Obama was probably the most worthy of my trust of any of the major candidates in either party.

I really like this, except the statement that McCain promises less, he said he could balance the budget by 2013...that is the most unrealistic thing I have herd from a canidate.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
He makes a lot of promises than I don't know if he can keep.

In my 8 years of voting i havent herd a canidate that doesn't.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
We have better options than we did in 2004 for the presidential election on both sides, but these options can also be confusing at times.

true dat

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
In my 8 years of voting i havent herd a canidate that doesn't.

Well of course, but I've never heard a candidate with so many promises either. If Obama doesn't keep his promises, I'm not sure what he's good for. So to me, it's more important he keeps his promises than almost any other candidate I've ever seen in either party.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/20...n-jabs-oba.html

"When Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., moves the Democratic National Convention from the Pepsi Center to Invesco Field in Denver on Thursday, the freshman senator is planning to speak from a columned stage resembling an ancient Greek temple.

The national anthem will even have a touch of celebrity: Jennifer Hudson, the Oscar-winning actress and former "American Idol" castoff, will perform the honors at the onset of the evening."

I already thought that him doing his speech in a different venue than every other democrat at the convention had a nice little touch of arrogance to it, but this is too much. Who does he think he is, Zeus? I swear, sometimes I wonder if Obama is just completely unaware of his weaknesses, or just ignores them. And neither is a good thing.

gwbrnc8.jpeg

30_24_090204_bush_waving_450.jpg

Link.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Balta, difference is, incumbent, vs. not. But I'm sure that doesn't matter, so nevermind.

So Greek columns are ok for an incumbent but not a nominee? Can you explain how that works? I could understand like the Presidential seal and such, but really why is it that certain aesthetics are only allowed once you're in office?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
So Greek columns are ok for an incumbent but not a nominee? Can you explain how that works? I could understand like the Presidential seal and such, but really why is it that certain aesthetics are only allowed once you're in office?

To me it's just a general sign of complete arrogance, and such a thing from GWB or Obama is of no surprise to me.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
He's an EXCELLENT speaker, but the fact that he is makes me nervous in a way because I wonder if he is talking his away around what he really thinks and will really do.

Have you seen any of the Youtube clips of him trying to speak without a teleprompter or scripted answers? More um's than me trying to speak at my corporate convention last year.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
I really like this, except the statement that McCain promises less, he said he could balance the budget by 2013...that is the most unrealistic thing I have herd from a canidate.

Actually, that's a lot more achievable than many of the things that many of the candidates are promising.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
Why on earth would that matter?

I think once you're an incumbent you receive some sort of award from Zeus that allows you to use them.

My evidence? Poseidon is clearly very angry about something Bush did.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
Why on earth would that matter?

I wasn't thinking the columns, I was thinking the seal and all. Nevermind, the comment is not valid and did not pass go, and I have to give my $200 back. :D

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 05:20 PM)
Have you seen any of the Youtube clips of him trying to speak without a teleprompter or scripted answers? More um's than me trying to speak at my corporate convention last year.

Haha yes and I love to make fun of them. However, even giving a speech as well as he does off a teleprompter takes a lot of skill.

BTW, I am convinced the biggest dorks/losers/whatever in the world are the people who go to the democratic and republican national conventions. Watching these people sing and dance to love train is hysterical.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)

I was always under the impression that he was just going very slow in interviews, hence the uhhhhhhs, and ummmmms, so he wouldn't say anything wrong. The amount polticians are taken out of context is incredible so what choice does he really have?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I just realized that I witnessed the first African-American be nominated as a presidential canidate for a major political party.

Pretty damn cool.

It was pretty amazing. Considering that in the near past a man of his skin color couldn't even play in MLB.