WINNER WINNER

whitesoxbrian

Richard really pitched with some poise for a rookie who had some really bad defense behind him. It isn't too hard to imagine a scenario where he gets out of the 4th inning with no runs given up, especially if it involves Anderson or even Swisher in CF playing defense. He didn't seem to let it bother him and still gutted it out and pitched through 6 innings. I have no doubt that other guys on this staff wouldn't have made it out of the 4th.

BTW congrats to Big Jim for passing Jimmie Foxx, and being only one HR away from 14th and the legendary Mickey Mantle.

With Thome's HR, the Sox now have the top two and three of the top five homerun hitters in the league. And the Sox have 21 more HR's than any other team in either league. And, possibly most impressive...they are up to #10 in MLB batting average. I never learn. I have to wise up and be patient during those cool early season months.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:53 AM)
It was interesting to see Steady Eddie come back and pitch a perfect 8th. Amazing, the M's have handed two blown saves to Nathan at Safeco in the span of 3 weeks. How many times have we come back to beat Joe since he's been the closer? Once? Twice? I remember one game I think we tied it off him but lost it again somehow? Would have been amusing if they had been successful in getting Hawkins, too.

As far as Liriano goes, the Indians' offense right now would be a good test for him again. Unfortunately, the Twins schedule from here on out is as bereft of home games as it is quality opponents. I do have hope for this reason, sometimes youngsters coming up in September for doormats can make huge impacts on the race, because they have a lot of motivation to play as well as possible against the best teams in the league...to prove something to their managers for 2009.

We've managed to get 3 wins in a row from the fifth starter's spot. I don't think anyone would have predicted that when Jose went down against BOS.

The Mariners really made me nervous...Lopez messed up two bunt attempts (he was the one that broke through against Nathan to give MIN the lead previously) and then fouled off about 5 pitches and hit a ball where it should have been a disaster (pulled to left side instead of pushing to 2nd) but Beltre did the ole Bartlett trick and screened Punto from the ball in the hole. Then Clement hit into a DP, but scored the tying run. Worst of all, then HOF announcer Dave Niehaus said "RA Dickey will come in for Putz next inning and I about lost my breakfast (it was morning in Thailand time)!!!" But he got out of the subsequent inning 1-2-3.

Two things, Crain's definitely not going to pitch for at least one game (of course, we might have to use Thornton or Dotel as closer tomorrow...or even Carrasco)...and any day when Clayton Richard and Liriano both start and we don't lose ground, that's a net positive, although a QUentin HR to end the first game would have been sweet. Probably would have gone out in Comiskey. Oh, well.

Now the only thing we have to worry about is who is going to close tomorrow, if we get into that position. And the Twins have now lost 3 in a row and maybe a few doubts (after losing 3 of their last 4 in Seattle) are starting to creep into their heads. (Of course, I said that after the M's won the first two out there 3 weeks ago and MIN responded with a fury).

My internet ADD refuses to let me read all of that