Email to Ozzie

NCsoxfan

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
sent an email, probably won't get a response but I had to give it a shot. just asked if we'll see more leadoff at-bats for Alexei this year

4-5 yesterday ;o

Its a fine line....do you want a guy who bats .300 leading off, but swings at the first pitch ~99.9% of the time, or just a guy with decent OBP who sees alot of pitches.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
I will gladly take a few guys getting thrown out here or there for being aggressive than watching our players have to choose to run through stop signs because Cox is so damn conservative.

I will not, because by doing so and getting thrown out, you lose the possibility of multiple runs being scored via any base hit but especially homers and doubles. If you score, you get that run, and then a home run brings the total to the exact same that it would have been before; not worth the risk. If the offense were faster or played more like Minnesota's, then I'd love Joey at 3B; as is, prevent as many outs as you can on the basepaths and let this team try and hit their way to a divisional title.

When the time calls for it, like Sunday against Tampa, then I have no problem with being overaggressive...it's been mentioned around here before. Even on a bullet like that was, the fielder has to come in, field it cleanly, and make a good throw, and the catcher has to come up with it cleanly, make a good tag, and hold on to the ball. I'd say that happens about 65% of the time, which means, unless you have Albert Pujols or Chipper Jones up there, you send that runner from 3rd.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
sent an email, probably won't get a response but I had to give it a shot. just asked if we'll see more leadoff at-bats for Alexei this year

4-5 yesterday ;o

Another issue (besides the ones previously mentioned)...

In his first 80 games as a regular, Alexei hit 13 homeruns and had 50 RBIs.

Project that out to a full season... 25+ homeruns... 100+ RBIs...

Is that the type of player we want batting first? Or further down in the lineup?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
I will not, because by doing so and getting thrown out, you lose the possibility of multiple runs being scored via any base hit but especially homers and doubles. If you score, you get that run, and then a home run brings the total to the exact same that it would have been before; not worth the risk. If the offense were faster or played more like Minnesota's, then I'd love Joey at 3B; as is, prevent as many outs as you can on the basepaths and let this team try and hit their way to a divisional title.

When the time calls for it, like Sunday against Tampa, then I have no problem with being overaggressive...it's been mentioned around here before. Even on a bullet like that was, the fielder has to come in, field it cleanly, and make a good throw, and the catcher has to come up with it cleanly, make a good tag, and hold on to the ball. I'd say that happens about 65% of the time, which means, unless you have Albert Pujols or Chipper Jones up there, you send that runner from 3rd.

I'm not suggesting we send Thome when he is going to be out by 30 feet as he was the other day. But with players like OC, CQ, Alexei, Brian, Wise, etc., who have decent speed, I am tired of seeing him hold runners. It has happened several times where a player has run through a sign (twice by OC), or the hitter is looking to advance another base but cannot because Cox has clogged up the basepaths by holding the runner at 3rd (as is the case yesterday). I honestly believe we have left more runs out there by not running guys than we have picked up by holding them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
I'm not suggesting we send Thome when he is going to be out by 30 feet as he was the other day. But with players like OC, CQ, Alexei, Brian, Wise, etc., who have decent speed, I am tired of seeing him hold runners. It has happened several times where a player has run through a sign (twice by OC), or the hitter is looking to advance another base but cannot because Cox has clogged up the basepaths by holding the runner at 3rd (as is the case yesterday). I honestly believe we have left more runs out there by not running guys than we have picked up by holding them.

And Cora left runs in the form of outs, from doing things like waving Paul Konerko around on a shallow single to left. Which is much worse. If Cora found a way to get a guy tagged out on a home run trot, he would do it.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
Because you don't send the runner 3-2, 2 outs when 1st base is open.

You strongly consider it when it's the bottom of the 9th, you're trailing, and you just got punked in your own house on consecutive days.

Seriously, if Cox holds Anderson at 3rd, what are the chances that whoever was up next (Cabrera?) drives him in with two outs against a solid bullpen?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
You strongly consider it when it's the bottom of the 9th, you're trailing, and you just got punked in your own house on consecutive days.

Seriously, if Cox holds Anderson at 3rd, what are the chances that whoever was up next (Cabrera?) drives him in with two outs against a solid bullpen?

no he's saying you don't start a runner up when there isn't a forceout; on a 3-2, 2 out count, the runner holds at 2B when the pitch is delivered to make sure that the ball does, in fact, get through. That's why Anderson wasn't already home. If there had been a runner on 1B when Konerko got the hit, Anderson makes it home with relative ease.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
no he's saying you don't start a runner up when there isn't a forceout; on a 3-2, 2 out count, the runner holds at 2B when the pitch is delivered to make sure that the ball does, in fact, get through. That's why Anderson wasn't already home. If there had been a runner on 1B when Konerko got the hit, Anderson makes it home with relative ease.

My bad. (This is what happens when I try to multitask.)

I agree that you don't hit-and-run from 2B in that situation.

Would I want a manager who takes fan's suggestions the manager of the White Sox? Of course not.

Its just fun that a MLB manager actually posts his email address AND answers some of them!! While I don't love Jeff Cox as a 3B coach, I was being a little extreme in saying that he should be fired. Like Rick Morrissey, it was more of a form of entertainment than anything...

As a side note, I would encourage Jerry Angelo to reveal his email address. I think Bears nation could build a better offense through the draft than he has so far in his seven years at the helm!!!

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
Would I want a manager who takes fan's suggestions the manager of the White Sox? Of course not.

Its just fun that a MLB manager actually posts his email address AND answers some of them!! While I don't love Jeff Cox as a 3B coach, I was being a little extreme in saying that he should be fired. Like Rick Morrissey, it was more of a form of entertainment than anything...

As a side note, I would encourage Jerry Angelo to reveal his email address. I think Bears nation could build a better offense through the draft than he has so far in his seven years at the helm!!!

Seriously... a couple of moves he needed to make regarding the OL, if he had done what myself and many others were thinking, and the Bears are in good shape on offense this year. And it would've been totally in line with his salary cap plan. It absolutely blows my mind that a NFL GM seems completely oblivious to things that the smart fans see clear as day.