Quit Smoking Thread

DABearSoX

So I have been smoking for about 8-9 years. I quit about a week and a half ago...the first few days were pretty bad, but now I am getting by on a few pieces of nicorette a day and I don't see what all the fuss is about. Honestly I could give a s*** about the health reasons (who wants to live to 75 anyway..ha), its the wasting of money that really bugs me, I figured I wasted about a grand/year on smokes. Hopefully I can stick with it.

Advice/horrer story withdrawls...anyone?

My wife quit cold turkey the day she learned she was pregnant (that was over 9 years ago now) and she never went back to it full-time.

She's one of those people who can have one or two smokes when she goes out drinking, but then just drop it again for months or years at a time.

There was no program she followed or anything - she just stopped. She was a pack-a-day smoker at her worst.

Needless to say, I'm really glad she quit, and I don't give her grief on the rare occasions when she'll have one. I just hope she never starts smoking regularly again. I don't think she will.

I smoked for two weeks in high school, saw that I looked like a total poser tard and stopped.....I still look like a total poser tard, just without a cigarette..... :D

I smoked for 10 years and just quit cold turkey back in January. I say screw all that gum and patch stuff. That stuff just reminds you of smoking all day.

For a week or two it was hard. I will never go back, unless there is some sorta major world war. Than i'm back on the horse.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
I smoked for 10 years and just quit cold turkey back in January. I say screw all that gum and patch stuff. That stuff just reminds you of smoking all day.

For a week or two it was hard. I will never go back, unless there is some sorta major world war. Than i'm back on the horse.

I am starting to agree with you...they say not to chew the gum but I chew the hell out of it and it makes my mouth numb, but not a good numb.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I smoked from about 15 till 22, and then quit when I graduated college. I quit by switching to "dip" instead of smoking, which helped me gradually get myself off tobacco. I did experience a weight gain however.

I had the weight gain to. About 10 pounds or so.

Were you guys with the weight gain working out at the time of quitting? I am trying to hit the gym 3 times/week to maybe curb that problem...

I have always wondered if the weight gain thing is because you tend to eat more when you are not smoking or since tobacco is a stimulant your metabolism slows...

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:42 PM)
Were you guys with the weight gain working out at the time of quitting? I am trying to hit the gym 3 times/week to maybe curb that problem...

I have always wondered if the weight gain thing is because you tend to eat more when you are not smoking or since tobacco is a stimulant your metabolism slows...

With me It was eating. I actually had a better appetite though. I wasn't working out at the time.

When I quit I started running. I've lost about 50 pounds to date. I think the normal weight gain is because of the boredom. When you have that craving you look for something to put in your mouth (Mind out of the gutter!). My advice would be to have plenty of healthy snacks, fruits and veggies around - especially if you're going to be working out regularly which will increase your appetite.

Chewing gum cigarettes...lots and lots of chewing gum cigarettes!

Seriously though, good luck. I smoked on and off for 5 years and luckily, for me at least, it was easy to quit...I just stopped buying them. But that was me and everybody is different. So, stay strong!