CQ for MVP and ARam for ROY

Cubano

If Longoria keeps himself out of the lineup or does not comeback strong, the Cuban Missile can take ROY honors.

CQ is competing against more MVP candidates and the Sox must finish in first place. Therefore, CQ for MVP is more in doubt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
Denard Span needs some too though.

A fine player for our rivals no doubt, but didnt they just call him up right before or at the All-Star break? That being said, between their own Ramirez, Span and of course Gomez, the Twinkies are getting some great conributions from their rookie class.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
I'm not seeing the long list of MVP candidates that you are. The list I see is just Quentin, Hamilton and I'd include Monreau especially if the Twins win it. But really if the White Sox win, it shouldn't be a question, though he should make sure to keep his average >.290.

which is dumb because i think it should be the most valuable player (which is why its obviously called mvp)and not the best player of the leauge. that being said, i think itll be quentin or morneau,depending on who wins the division

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
which is dumb because i think it should be the most valuable player (which is why its obviously called mvp)and not the best player of the leauge. that being said, i think itll be quentin or morneau,depending on who wins the division

To me the best player in the league *is* the most valuable player, by defintion. What team said player happens to be on is happenstance. Otherwise that would automatically disqualify every player in the league who doesn't make the playoffs which to me is dumb.

CQ fits both definitions though so it's moot in this case.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
To me the best player in the league *is* the most valuable player, by defintion. What team said player happens to be on is happenstance. Otherwise that would automatically disqualify every player in the league who doesn't make the playoffs which to me is dumb.

CQ fits both definitions though so it's moot in this case.

But how valuable can you be if your team doesn't do anything throughout the year? Obviously not valuable enough..

From what I've been reading and hearing it seems Hamilton has really fallen off in the eyes of the national media. Justin Morneau is more of a candidate than Hamilton at this point. The one thing that Hamilton had on everyone else was his RBI total, he's currently at 116 RBI which is only 14 ahead of Morneau and 17 ahead of GOD. His OPS has fallen to .908 and he's 7 HRs off the lead. Hamilton is all but done at this point.

Lead Candidates

Carlos Quentin

Justin Morneau

2nd Tier

Joe Mauer

Kevin Youkliss

Jermaine Dye

Alex Rodriguez

Josh Hamilton

3rd Tier (will garner votes but are not legit contenders)

K-Rod

Evan Longoria

Grady Sizemore

IMO it's a 2 man race right now with Carlos way out in front. It's really not all that close.

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
But how valuable can you be if your team doesn't do anything throughout the year? Obviously not valuable enough..

If you bat .372 with a 1.050 OPS and your team is in 4th place, then I guess it was your fault wasn't it... you weren't valuable enough because you weren't batting .394.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
If you bat .372 with a 1.050 OPS and your team is in 4th place, then I guess it was your fault wasn't it... you weren't valuable enough because you weren't batting .394.

No, you weren't valuable enough because you didn't raise the play of the rest of the players around you. MVP isn't just stats. It's intangibles too.

I think this is a debate that just won't ever die.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
If Longoria keeps himself out of the lineup or does not comeback strong, the Cuban Missile can take ROY honors.

CQ is competing against more MVP candidates and the Sox must finish in first place. Therefore, CQ for MVP is more in doubt.

I actually think it will be tougher for Alexei. The Rays are the feel good story in baseball and Longoria has tremendous numbers. The big difference between Evan and Alexei is the fact that Evan has a much better OBP and is a better slugger. The only way I can see Ramirez picking it up is if Longoria reinjures himself or stinks coming back from the injury (unlikely, unless he's not really healthy).

Quentin on the other hand is amongst the league leaders in almost every offensive category and has been on fire lately. If he keeps his production up and the SOx make the playoffs I would be shocked if he didn't win the MVP.

So in short, season ends today, Quentin is the MVP, Longoria is the rookie of the year.

QUOTE (FranktheTank35 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
No, you weren't valuable enough because you didn't raise the play of the rest of the players around you. MVP isn't just stats. It's intangibles too.

I think this is a debate that just won't ever die.

Technically speaking, Carlos Quentin didn't make the pitching staff throw the way they did or Alexei emerge, etc etc. However, I do believe the MVP is more than best offensive player. I think it goes to the guy that did the very most for there team and wins should be one of the factors.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
I actually think it will be tougher for Alexei. The Rays are the feel good story in baseball and Longoria has tremendous numbers. The big difference between Evan and Alexei is the fact that Evan has a much better OBP and is a better slugger. The only way I can see Ramirez picking it up is if Longoria reinjures himself or stinks coming back from the injury (unlikely, unless he's not really healthy).

Quentin on the other hand is amongst the league leaders in almost every offensive category and has been on fire lately. If he keeps his production up and the SOx make the playoffs I would be shocked if he didn't win the MVP.

So in short, season ends today, Quentin is the MVP, Longoria is the rookie of the year.

Alexei has played better defense and has done several web gems. He has played 4 positions and has batted lower in the order. I do not have the numbers with runners in scoring position for Longoria, but he has only a few RBI more than Alexei batting in the middle of the order. Therefore, Alexei should have a better BA with RISP than Longoria by far.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Technically speaking, Carlos Quentin didn't make the pitching staff throw the way they did or Alexei emerge, etc etc. However, I do believe the MVP is more than best offensive player. I think it goes to the guy that did the very most for there team and wins should be one of the factors.

But Carlos did carry this team through its offensive woes in April and May.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Alexei has played better defense and has done several web gems. He has played 4 positions and has batted lower in the order. I do not have the numbers with runners in scoring position for Longoria, but he has only a few RBI more than Alexei batting in the middle of the order. Therefore, Alexei should have a better BA with RISP than Longoria by far.

Longoria is a much better defensive player than Alexei dude.

The best way for TCQ to win the MVP is for the Sox to win the Division. We shouldn't worry about everything else. If they do that, the MVP award will take care of itself.

The best way for Alexei to win the ROY is to have a phenomenal September and push the Sox to win the AL Central. If he does that, the ROY award will take care of itself.

The MVP award to Quentin will not give me any solace if the Sox finish out of the playoffs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)

I'd agree with this. Alexei has played good defense at 2B but he has made his fair share of errors (and his fair share of web-gems). Plus in reality he's really played 1 position and has played minimally at CF/SS/3B. Longoria is probably the 2nd best defensive 3rd baseman in the AL (behind Beltre). Plus you have to factor in that Longoria has been a middle of the order bat and thus has far more pressure on him.

I love Alexei but if Longoria is decent in September he should win the award, imo.

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
A fine player for our rivals no doubt, but didnt they just call him up right before or at the All-Star break? That being said, between their own Ramirez, Span and of course Gomez, the Twinkies are getting some great conributions from their rookie class.

Gomez has done nothing but hurt the Twins this year. He's been absolutely terrible.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)

I think Alexei may become a better defender, and it is difficult to compare 3rd basemen to 2nd basemen.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)

Alexei has also made a few bone-headed rookie mistakes that should simply not happen, FWIW

QUOTE (SpringfieldFan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
You know, if there needs to be an award for "guy that makes the difference and gets his team a ring", that's fine and dandy. However, and I don't care what they call it, but I also want to see an award for the player who's simply the flat out best in the league that year. Is that too much to ask?

SFF

Yes thank you. I don't care about all of this silly talk about intangibles. You are either a better player or you're not.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I think Alexei may become a better defender, and it is difficult to compare 3rd basemen to 2nd basemen.

I love Alexei and all but defensively it's not even close and it probably never will be.