Rockies put Taveras + Fuentes on waivers

WinningUgly85

Taveras is better than Owens because he can actually play defense. From everything I've seen, he's a much better fundamental player and would make a much better 4th outfielder. He still sucks though, and he wouldn't get past all of the NL teams, let alone getting to the White Sox.

Fuentes is good, but the same waiver rule applies, as he wouldn't get past several NL teams before even getting to the bottom of the AL.

This is non-news regarding the White Sox as far as I'm concerned. Fun to talk about all the same though.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)
Taveras is better than Owens because he can actually play defense. From everything I've seen, he's a much better fundamental player and would make a much better 4th outfielder. He still sucks though, and he wouldn't get past all of the NL teams, let alone getting to the White Sox.

Fuentes is good, but the same waiver rule applies, as he wouldn't get past several NL teams before even getting to the bottom of the AL.

This is non-news regarding the White Sox as far as I'm concerned. Fun to talk about all the same though.

Owens can play defense... he just can't throw.

:unsure:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Owens can play defense... he just can't throw.

:unsure:

I hope that was a joke comment... all from what I have seen from Owens is bad reads, bad angles, and just overall pretty terrible in the OF.

I think Taveras is pretty crappy myself, but he is leaps and bounds better then Owens in every area of the game.

Heard an interesting rumor that Minnesota blocked a trade that we wanted to make for LHP Alan Embree (former Sox pitcher, most connected to the Indians)...interesting.

Not sure if we had a chance at blocking them in return when the issue of Guardado came up, probably the Twins were behind us at the time and so would have had the chance to make the claim before the Sox.

The Twins' problem isn't "loogys" Reyes/Breslow (both have been quite solid), as apparently the plan is for Guardado to become their primary 8th inning set-up man for Nathan in light of Crain's and Guerrier's recent struggles.

I am sure there is a lot of blocking going on right now... All thought with the way that Clayton Richard has been pitching, the situation is a lot less dire than it could have been. If we could only get a guy to step up as a middle reliever behind Carrasco, we would be in good shape.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:46 PM)

Defensively, Brian Anderson > Taveras > Owens.

Speed wise, Taveras = Owens.

If you need a defensive CF, play Anderson

If you need a pinch runner, play Owens when rosters expand.

Waiver blocking is a dangerous game. You have to be prepared to pick that guy up if he makes it to your team. I can't imagine the Sox would want Guardado for any reason, so why block?

And here's what Taveras does that's better than anyone on the Sox right now...bunt. You want speed? You got Owens. You want defense? You got BA. You want someone who can move a player over...that would be Taveras. But that certainly isn't enough to pick him up.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)
I hope that was a joke comment... all from what I have seen from Owens is bad reads, bad angles, and just overall pretty terrible in the OF.

I think Taveras is pretty crappy myself, but he is leaps and bounds better then Owens in every area of the game.

Not a joke at all. Arm aside, Owens is a decent CF. Certainly a lot better than Swish (not that that's saying a lot). Problem is the noodle arm.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
The biggest surprise in this thread to me is the Rockies putting people on waivers. They're only 6 games out in that terrible division. Taveras helps them a lot when he gets on base with his 60 some stolen bases.

All teams put a s***load of players on waivers at this time of year. A player can't be traded if he doesn't clear waivers. If he's claimed, the team can just pull him back off of waivers.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
The biggest surprise in this thread to me is the Rockies putting people on waivers. They're only 6 games out in that terrible division. Taveras helps them a lot when he gets on base with his 60 some stolen bases.

EVERYONE goes on to waviers at this time of year, from superstars down to the 25th man. Its all a part of the game.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)
All teams put a s***load of players on waivers at this time of year. A player can't be traded if he doesn't clear waivers. If he's claimed, the team can just pull him back off of waivers.

If they have no desire of getting rid of someone, what's the reason for putting them on waivers in the first place?

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
If they have no desire of getting rid of someone, what's the reason for putting them on waivers in the first place?

everyone can be had for a price. Why not find out what other teams are willing to shell out? Plus, waiver non-deals can be revisited in the offseason without as many waiver constrictions