Why the OC hate?

Princess Dye

Granted, after a night like this, it's going to skew the results.

Still, people here have routinely said they dont like him.... mostly personally, some say they just dont like his game.

Personality wise.... what's really to dislike? So what if he's pompous? How many pro athletes arent? And of course, there's the question of really how well we think we know these guys anyway. After all, he seemed pretty much beloved in Anaheim when he got the award and ovation earlier this year.

Regarding the in-game questioning of official scoring... it's the kind of thing that really isnt as anti-team as people make it out to be. It's at worst indirectly an anti-team thing.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well first and foremost Jason lives there. I mean c'mon, what more reason do you need. but also, bunch of rich douchebags and blond haired bimbo's that did nothing to earn their money and---- oh wait.....

He is half-assed, and an overrated defender, nothing near what I thought he was with the Red Sox and Angels. There were a couple of times when he was hot that I started warming up to him, but he is pretty lackluster overall. He's an above average SS, that's all though.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 05:53 PM)
He is half-assed, and an overrated defender, nothing near what I thought he was with the Red Sox and Angels. There were a couple of times when he was hot that I started warming up to him, but he is pretty lackluster overall. He's an above average SS, that's all though.

I was expecting his bat to take a step back from where it was the last couple years, and he's sort of been exactly on his career numbers this year, so there's not much that's been surprising there.

But he's had a real inability to handle the job on defense that we've all seen. He's capable of making some really good plays, but you just don't feel that confident with him having to do anything that rough right now. He's sort of in the same boat in my head as JoE5 is right now, I just don't like it when the ball is hit to them right now.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)

It's kind of frightening that of our starters he's 5th in batting avg.

I'm not going to talk up his offense a ton, but we at least have to appreciate that he's a leadoff hitter on THIS team. Without him up there we would be even more station-to-station than we already are.

For a 2 time gold glove winning shortstop he sure does attempt to field an awful lot of ground balls to his side. He needs to get in front of the f***ing ball, he probably should have 5 to 8 more errors this season just on balls he booted because he didn't get in front of them. So yeah, I dislike him mostly for his s***ty fundamentals in the field.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
It's kind of frightening that of our starters he's 5th in batting avg.

I'm not going to talk up his offense a ton, but we at least have to appreciate that he's a leadoff hitter on THIS team. Without him up there we would be even more station-to-station than we already are.

He is okay on offense. But if you look at the whole package he is not significantly better than Uribe (when Uribe is not in uber-suck mode).

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 09:01 PM)
I think the better question is why any OC love?

-His fielding is incredibly over-rated. I wasn't a big Cabrera follower before he got to the Sox, but I was always under the impression he played pretty sound D. His lazy efforts and incredibly poor timed errors left me surprised to say the least.

-His bat leaves alot to be desired, especially in the lead-off spot. I know he can't control where he bats in the lineup, but it still contributes to my dislike. He doesn't have as much power as I thought he would coming over to the Cell, his OBP is poor for a top of the order hitter, and his "smallball" techniques leave a lot to be desired, which I thought Cabrera was well known for.

-The whole scorekeeper controversy was probably a bit overblown, but it still looked bad. On top of it, he doesn't seem to fit all that well in the clubhouse( I have no inside knowledge), and Williams has hinted at being a bit surprised at what he got back in Cabrera.

I said it a few days ago to some friends of mine, and I stand by it. Cabrera is probably my least favorite White Sox starter in the last 6-7 years.

All your points make sense, but then that last line.... it just seems a little harsh to put him sub Erstad, no? Actually you're putting him sub-many guys who were way worse.

I think when a guy carries himself like OC does, it makes people react a little harsher to whatever stats he does put up. Freaking BA gets on the recent All-time Favorite Sox list and yet puts up nowhere near the consistency OC does.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
I think the better question is why any OC love?

-His fielding is incredibly over-rated. I wasn't a big Cabrera follower before he got to the Sox, but I was always under the impression he played pretty sound D. His lazy efforts and incredibly poor timed errors left me surprised to say the least.

-His bat leaves alot to be desired, especially in the lead-off spot. I know he can't control where he bats in the lineup, but it still contributes to my dislike. He doesn't have as much power as I thought he would coming over to the Cell, his OBP is poor for a top of the order hitter, and his "smallball" techniques leave a lot to be desired, which I thought Cabrera was well known for.

-The whole scorekeeper controversy was probably a bit overblown, but it still looked bad. On top of it, he doesn't seem to fit all that well in the clubhouse( I have no inside knowledge), and Williams has hinted at being a bit surprised at what he got back in Cabrera.

I said it a few days ago to some friends of mine, and I stand by it. Cabrera is probably my least favorite White Sox starter in the last 6-7 years.

I agree with absolutely everything you said, including that very last line. The only thing I'd add is that it seems like he doesn't even want to be on this team.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:08 AM)
All your points make sense, but then that last line.... it just seems a little harsh to put him sub Erstad, no? Actually you're putting him sub-many guys who were way worse.

I think when a guy carries himself like OC does, it makes people react a little harsher to whatever stats he does put up. Freaking BA gets on the recent All-time Favorite Sox list and yet puts up nowhere near the consistency OC does.

Erstad busted his ass everytime he was on the field. I have no hate for Erstad as a person. It's not his fault that some members of the organization get a hard on for grinders.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 03:09 AM)
I agree with absolutely everything you said, including that very last line. The only thing I'd add is that it seems like he doesn't even want to be on this team.

As we talk about, he seems to have more fun talking with the opposition than his own teammates.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)

Erstad actually seemed like he wanted to play for this team. Cabrera does not.

Cabrera seems to be one of the more animated guys in the post homerun and victory celebrations

Alexei looks like pure death after he hits homeruns in the dugout. Of course, based on his production, we dont fault him for it.

Since Alexei is emotionless (visibly) during most games, are we to believe he doesnt want to be on the team? I wouldnt make that jump, and I dont know that we can make that jump regarding OC either. They're just different personalities.

We cant purport to know what they're thinking, as much fun as it might be.

Edited by Princess Dye

These responses are funny. Cabrera is a 3rd in the AL in WS for SS, is way, way ahead in defensive WS and other advanced defensive metrics, and is swinging a decent (for a SS) bat.

And take it from me: I f***ing hated this trade and hated O-Cab as late as this July. But he's made a believer out of me. He's not a great hitter, but he's a guy that from SS will put up a solid 280/330/390 line and more than make up for his offensive mediocrity with great defense.

Like most of you after watching him for a few games I thought his defense was horrible. He rounds off balls, doesn't have a strong arm, and seems to just make routine plays look hard. But after watching him play (I'd say I've seen about 50% of the innings played so far this year) he really does make all the plays. He might not have the best range, or the best arm, or the best hands: but he does have good skills in all those areas. Rarely does he not make a tough play. The advanced defensive metrics back this up.

Furthermore, he's going to net the Sox 2 nice draft picks this winter, what the hell isn't to love about that?

Cabrera is a vital player on this good Sox team, there is no reason (other than the meaningless scorer stuff) to not like him.