Soxtalk: A History

Jake

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was posting in the MLB message boards when someone posted a link to Soxtalk. I took a good while to look at the board and came to the conclusion that this place was more colorful and not as callous as other places had been. I mean, this was a time when message boards were something new to me in the Internet world. Theforce.net and Soxtalk were the place to go for my daily dose of posting.

Of course, the people that are in it is what I think gets people to be a part of it(in this case, Soxtalk). Posters like Brando and Juggernaut always seemed to have something of value to say. IMO, they would put the time and effort in each of their posts. They would get flamed, for reasons that I will probably never understand, but all in all they were here because of their love for the White Sox. And, of course, you then had posters like Jeckle (who is hopefully doing progress in Anger Management).

Just to bring back some of those early memories, how about the time we had Billy Koch as our closer? :lolhitting

You could give that guy a five-run lead and he would still find a way to keep us screaming at him through the television screen. Rushing to the computer to see the reaction of this place was never short of thrilling.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
When looking back at the old cw threads, i hit the "next oldest" thread button several times to see some old threads and i stumbled upon one of Tex's polls that I figured i'd bring back up. I just find it funny that he asked this as a poll

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=10996&st=0

:lolhitting We had so much more important stuff to discuss back then . . .

QUOTE (Yoda @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
I was posting in the MLB message boards when someone posted a link to Soxtalk. I took a good while to look at the board and came to the conclusion that this place was more colorful and not as callous as other places had been. I mean, this was a time when message boards were something new to me in the Internet world. Theforce.net and Soxtalk were the place to go for my daily dose of posting.

Of course, the people that are in it is what I think gets people to be a part of it(in this case, Soxtalk). Posters like Brando and Juggernaut always seemed to have something of value to say. IMO, they would put the time and effort in each of their posts. They would get flamed, for reasons that I will probably never understand, but all in all they were here because of their love for the White Sox. And, of course, you then had posters like Jeckle (who is hopefully doing progress in Anger Management).

Just to bring back some of those early memories, how about the time we had Billy Koch as our closer? :lolhitting

You could give that guy a five-run lead and he would still find a way to keep us screaming at him through the television screen. Rushing to the computer to see the reaction of this place was never short of thrilling.

LOL I do that now sometimes.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Aug 29, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Posters like Brando and Juggernaut always seemed to have something of value to say. IMO, they would put the time and effort in each of their posts. They would get flamed, for reasons that I will probably never understand, but all in all they were here because of their love for the White Sox.

And if you go back and look you'll see that they were never flamed for their love and opinion of the Sox. It was calling people names and praising eating disorders that got them ripped apart.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
And if you go back and look you'll see that they were never flamed for their love and opinion of the Sox. It was calling people names and praising eating disorders that got them ripped apart.

:notworthy Steff hit that one square on the nail. When the only point of a post is to insult or inflame, it does not matter how well written or informed the post is. And when it gets personal, people are told to leave. Some for a little while, some for a very long time. And as the usual last holdout arguing against such suspensions, I can say the process is very fair, well researched, and it takes a very strong consensus before someone finds themselves on the outside looking in. Another little understood factor is if a mod has a personal issue with someone they will always sit out the debate.

Juggernaut just couldnt avoid a religious discussion if it saved his life. Thats where all of his insults and opinions came flying out at you, because all of his posts were well thought out and written, but the tone of his opinions was just too much(read: condescending) for anything related to religion, and also politics.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Juggernaut just couldnt avoid a religious discussion if it saved his life. Thats where all of his insults and opinions came flying out at you, because all of his posts were well thought out and written, but the tone of his opinions was just too much(read: condescending) for anything related to religion, and also politics.

Never had a discussion about either with him. Just about how it he encouraged his ex-gf to be anorexic. So I guess he couldn't discuss anything medical related either. And I wouldn't call those comments "well thought out". "Stupidly thought out" perhaps.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
Never had a discussion about either with him. Just about how it he encouraged his ex-gf to be anorexic. So I guess he couldn't discuss anything medical related either. And I wouldn't call those comments "well thought out". "Stupidly thought out" perhaps.

I didnt say I agreed with him, at all. People are entitled to their opinions, whether the consensus agrees with them or not. Juggs never had a "well you R dumb" reply that i ever saw, hen put plenty of effort into his posts. Just mispent effort

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
I didnt say I agreed with him, at all. People are entitled to their opinions, whether the consensus agrees with them or not. Juggs never had a "well you R dumb" reply that i ever saw, hen put plenty of effort into his posts. Just mispent effort

I didn't mean to imply you did.

If you care to, you should dig up some of those old threads. More times than not his response to someone that disagreed with him was in fact (sic) "well you R dumb".

Crazy times back then. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
I didn't mean to imply you did.

If you care to, you should dig up some of those old threads. More times than not his response to someone that disagreed with him was in fact (sic) "well you R dumb".

Crazy times back then. :lolhitting

I would rather go through the hilarious thread that santo posted earlier. Juggernauts threads made my head hurt with so much doubletalk and ID bullsh**. Mostly because we should all be divying up 1000 dollars right now

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
I would rather go through the hilarious thread that santo posted earlier. Juggernauts threads made my head hurt with so much doubletalk and ID bullsh**. Mostly because we should all be divying up 1000 dollars right now

He was one of a kind... thank God! :lolhitting

I can't recall specifically when I joined or how I found this place, but it was back in the days of SoxNet.net. Things were much more wild back then and I remember threads would stay live (and heated) for days. I'm much more laid back now, but used to get in the middle of many of them and wasn't afraid to fire a few shots here and there.

I stay away from the baseball side for the most part now, but I still enjoy the off topic boards and a lot of the people on here. I had forgotten all about Bullard posting as well as Bajenaru (man hands). I lived in the Future Sox thread for several years.

• 3 weeks later...