Gustav and the GOP convention

HuskyCaucasian

Interesting... apparently the McCain campaign is considering turning the convention into a telethon to help with the hurricane. Interesting idea.

I have no idea how to handle this if I were them. The logical choice would be to hold the nominations on Monday and cancel the remainder. But that's not really an option i dont think. Politically. they cant afford the lack of coverage after the Obama convention / speech. But as humans, they need to cancel.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
Interesting... apparently the McCain campaign is considering turning the convention into a telethon to help with the hurricane. Interesting idea.

I have no idea how to handle this if I were them. The logical choice would be to hold the nominations on Monday and cancel the remainder. But that's not really an option i dont think. Politically. they cant afford the lack of coverage after the Obama convention / speech. But as humans, they need to cancel.

Somethings are bigger than politics. If people want to change their votes because they GOP doesn't waste a lot of money on a festival because people are in trouble, there isn't much to be said for them anyway.

Somethings are bigger than politics. If people want to change their votes because they GOP doesn't waste a lot of money on a festival because people are in trouble, there isn't much to be said for them anyway.

Not in this country.

If they postpone the convention at all we'll never hear the end of how humanitarian John McCain is. One way or another Hurricane Gustav is going to get politicized to death.

Michael Moore, regarding hurricane Gustav htting on Day 1 of the GOP convention: its proof there is a God in heaven.

Between this asshat, Rev Dobson praying for bad weather for Obama's speech, and people saying tornadoes in CO were proof that God hates Obama... I really can't figure out how these people have followers. Do these people not have brains? At all?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Apparently McCain is seriously considering giving his acceptance speech via satellite... from the Gustav disaster zone.

Yes, the last thing you need in a disaster area is a throng to media and Secret Service security.

And this post was brought to you by the same guy who ripped McCain for not going, and praised Obama for going to the Iowa disater site...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
And this post was brought to you by the same guy who ripped McCain for not going, and praised Obama for going to the Iowa disater site...

So, I can't speak for others, but at least my recollection of the flooding was that the governor of Iowa asked Senator McCain to stay away, and he refused to do so while Senator Obama listened. Senator Obama took a small photo op somewhere in Illinois, a fair distance away, while Senator McCain pushed his way in to the middle of the flooding and forced local assets to move to take care of his visit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
So, I can't speak for others, but at least my recollection of the flooding was that the governor of Iowa asked Senator McCain to stay away, and he refused to do so while Senator Obama listened. Senator Obama took a small photo op somewhere in Illinois, a fair distance away, while Senator McCain pushed his way in to the middle of the flooding and forced local assets to move to take care of his visit.

That is 100% accurate.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
Actually its not, according to you, McCain did exactly what was asked of him and "prayed from a distance", while Obama went in.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=1665138

He then actually went despite pressure not to. Obama went, but not to Iowa. He stayed away from the middle of Iowa per the Gov request.

Couple of thoughts.

No Dick and Bush is a good thing. Perfect reason for them not to be with McCain.

"Politicians in disaster zones"

Overall I believe there is a benefit. Hearken back to the halcyon days of over 30% approval ratings for Dubya. He's standing on that mound of rubble, bullhorn in hand, and ready to kick some ass ~~AND~~ take care of the citizens. That my friend, is powerful stuff for the nation. And I believe one of the pivotal roles for the POTUS is cheerleader. Reagan and Clinton V1.0 were masters of this. Regan rode in on that big horse after the scandal of Nixon, bumbling of Ford, and handcuffing of Carter. He talked big and got America to believe in itself.

Clinton came on the heels of sleepy Bush and invited us to a party. Youth and vigor replaced the guy with a wife who looked like his mom, and a senile old goof with bad hearing.

So Bush, McCain, and Obama, please go and comfort. Make the people who just got kicked in the face believe in their ability to withstand. Make America believe we can take care of our own storm victims, much like we do for the rest of the world. Let the world look in your eyes at this moment and see if you are there because you give a s***, or you are there because your analysts and handlers tell you it's the place to be for votes. We'll tell. This will reveal your character more than :30 second attack ads and snarky youtube videos. Yoiu can't control this media event. No scripts will last long. Go get your hands dirty. Talk to Americans at their time of greatest stress.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Oh crap...Hannah has shifted her track south and is now aiming right around the southern tip of Florida. That gets an "Oh crap" because the ones that hit the Southern tip of florida or pass through the straits there tend to not lose very much strength or break up very much, and then they wind up slamming in to the gulf coast somewhere a few days later. That's the path Katrina and Rita took, that's the path that Andrew took.

Thankfully, Hannah changed her mind and isn't going anywhere near the route that Kat, Rita, or Andrew took.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT0.../144212W_sm.gif