Hurricane Ike to possibly slam Tex

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I share a name with this hurricane, so needless to say I have a bit of a soft spot for it.

cease to resist, giving my goodbye

drive my car into the ocean

you'll think i'm dead, but i sail away

on a wave of mutilation

wave of mutilation

wave of mutilation

a wave

a wave

Anyone who dies in that city from this storm will not have my sympathy. You may have been unprepared for Katrina, and FEMA certaintly didn't help, but everyone in New Orleans is given plenty of warning for Gustav. Get on the damn bus this time or attempt walking to higher ground. Atleast people in Florida are accustomed to hurricanes and typically have the supplies to cope with them if they remain. Now, even those crusty old "I'm aint gonna leave my town!!!" people should learn from the death of several thousand people three years ago.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Anyone who dies in that city from this storm will not have my sympathy. You may have been unprepared for Katrina, and FEMA certaintly didn't help, but everyone in New Orleans is given plenty of warning for Gustav. Get on the damn bus this time or attempt walking to higher ground. Atleast people in Florida are accustomed to hurricanes and typically have the supplies to cope with them if they remain. Now, even those crusty old "I'm aint gonna leave my town!!!" people should learn from the death of several thousand people three years ago.

There weren't quite that many deaths, but I do agree that with Katrina only 3 years - to the weekend - removed it makes little sense for folks to be contemplating staying in the area. Thankfully Lousiana got a lot of their ducks in a row at the start of the week and have the ability to aid more efficiently if, when, they order the manditory evacuation.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
They expect Gustav to be a 3 when it hits N.O.

FWIW, when Katrina actually hit the city, it was nothing more than a weak category 2. The storm had started a weakening cycle just as it hit the shore, and that slowed it up some, and the city itself didn't take a direct blow; the eye came ashore over in Alabama.

The last time, nature actually tried to help out the Levee system.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 01:22 PM)

Katrina still killed 14 people in Florida.

Hanna should also be scaring people right now on the Gulf Coast. It's taking aim at the Florida Keys area or southern Florida, and that's not a big enough landmass to break them up...the trend on ones like that seems to be that if it gets past Florida in tact, it hits those same super warm waters in the gulf and then takes aim for somewhere on the Gulf Coast.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Projected to hit as a Cat 4. Katrina was a strong Cat 3 when it hit. And NOLA is on the east side of the storm... the really bad side of a hurricane.

No it wasn't. The winds in NOLA never reached anything beyond a weak category 2. The Eye hit in Alabama as a Category 3, but New Orleans only got a glancing blow. It was also helped by the fact that an eyewall regeneration event started just as the storm was hitting shore, which weakened the storm a bit. The New Orleans levee system never faced the category 3 storm strength that it was supposed to survive.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)

My wife and I got married Aug 27 2005... 2 days before Katrina. I remember getting ready in my hotel room and someone was interviewing a guy on CNN who was from NY or something like that. He said "I'm gonna stay. I've never been through a hurricane before!"

I bowed my head and muttered, "you dumbass"

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
My wife and I got married Aug 27 2005... 2 days before Katrina. I remember getting ready in my hotel room and someone was interviewing a guy on CNN who was from NY or something like that. He said "I'm gonna stay. I've never been through a hurricane before!"

I bowed my head and muttered, "you dumbass"

A group of us were camping at Yellowstone that week. I was the one with a little transistor radio (I used it to check the White Sox results, it was 2005)...I learned like 2 days before that it was aiming at that city, and pretty much all of us said "yup, that's it for them." The prof on the trip had visted New Orleans a few years beforehand because he didn't think he'd get many more chances.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
No it wasn't. The winds in NOLA never reached anything beyond a weak category 2. The Eye hit in Alabama as a Category 3, but New Orleans only got a glancing blow. It was also helped by the fact that an eyewall regeneration event started just as the storm was hitting shore, which weakened the storm a bit. The New Orleans levee system never faced the category 3 storm strength that it was supposed to survive.

Yeah, there wasn't anything historic about Katrina's strength. It was the flash flooding that devasted New Orleans. I recall pictures of houses literally moved from their foundation. Good luck to those levees if it's anywhere near a category 4.

Some of the articles I've come across are rather ominous. No Superdome this time to shelter people. The message seems to be you're on your own. I know there's nothing anyone can do (aside from National Guard patrols), but it's just strange to read. I wouldn't want to be around New Orleans after dark, whether that's because of those willing to take advantage of the storm or the storm itself.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Yeah, there wasn't anything historic about Katrina's strength. It was the flash flooding that devasted New Orleans. I recall pictures of houses literally moved from their foundation. Good luck to those levees if it's anywhere near a category 4.

For the most part, it's still the same levee system that was in place 3 years ago. They added an additional barrier somewhere upriver and added some pumps that are constantly being questioned in the media, but the worries are exactly the same. That levee system was supposed to be able to take a category 3, but because of design flaws, it failed on a weak category 2 that tried to help it out immensely by dropping its strength and sending its weak side towards the city.

Quite frankly, If this hits close to the city and comes ashore as a 4+, I'll be very surprised and impressed by the Corps if the levees don't fail hugely again. Maybe even more than last time.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gustav_gulf_coast

Standing outside his restaurant in the city's Faubourg Marigny district, Dale DeBruyne prepared for Gustav the way he did for Katrina — stubbornly.

"I'm not leaving," he said.

DeBruyne, 52, said his house was stocked with storm supplies, including generators.

"I stayed for Katrina," he said, "and I'll stay again."

/FACEPALM