Hurricane Ike to possibly slam Tex

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
And it's still almost 900 miles from you.

I think that quote is saying what it will be like when the storm passes. Ike is a monster, but he's not THAT big.

Btw, I follow Ike here:

http://www.noaawatch.gov/2008/ike.php

But Steff's site is very good as well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
So the National Weather Service, when you paraphrase, is saying "get the f*** out of Houston, seriously, if you stay you're going to die."

CNN Breaking News

People sheltering at ground level at Galveston Bay when Hurricane Ike hits face "certain death," the weather service warns.

I have a friend that just flew into Houston Tuesday to spend a week at his parent's house. It's weird in that Ike is only a CAT 2 but they are saying that the storm surge is expected to be high and the pure size of it will cause wind damage in a large area. Without a strong eyewall, is this storm going to hold strength at its level longer than say if it were stronger at the eyewall and inflicted more direct damage before dying off?

Does that make sense at all?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
I have a friend that just flew into Houston Tuesday to spend a week at his parent's house. It's weird in that Ike is only a CAT 2 but they are saying that the storm surge is expected to be high and the pure size of it will cause wind damage in a large area. Without a strong eyewall, is this storm going to hold strength at its level longer than say if it were stronger at the eyewall and inflicted more direct damage before dying off?

Does that make sense at all?

Most cat 4 or 5 storms have a really intense, small area of powerful winds. This one is a cat 2, probably a 3 later today that is MASSIVE so the winds are just going to beat the crap out of you for a few hours and then shift and blow the other way for a few hours longer. When you add all that rain... it makes it bad for trees and stuff falling.

They haven't changed the forecast here at all - in fact they said something about all that rain in Lubbock PHF just talked about is going to combine right over D/FW with Ike, Plus the wind. I bet we get at least 8 inches of rain around where we live if that happens.

Nature exposes our weaknesses.

I was asked about the home we just placed at camp. Up on top of a raised slab, on a point jutting out into the Laguna Madre. I said basically we just flipped off mother nature and said come and get it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
So the National Weather Service, when you paraphrase, is saying "get the f*** out of Houston, seriously, if you stay you're going to die."

If you never have, read the story about the 1900 hurricane that hit Galveston. This one is projected to be bigger.

Dude, Galveston is screwed. It's 200 miles offshore and it's already pushing water over that wall.

My wife's aunt is in Baytown - she's staying with my wife's cousins. I'm actually really worried about them. There's a lot of my in-laws family down that way, and they all need a prayer.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
This feels like it is going to be pretty bad, if not really bad. I REALLY hope I am wrong though.

As do I, if I have to go 2 weeks+ without internet, TV, and video games I am not gonna make it man

We got the house all boarded up and s***, im just hoping the power doesnt go out