Hurricane Ike to possibly slam Tex

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
It looks almost certain to give a beating to the Keys first...but the next one up in line, Ike, seems destined to make a run at the Gulf of Mexico and possibly NOLA as well.

084015W_sm.gif

Maybe this could use a new thread? :huh

I got confused a bit by the old posts.

I hope the current track is off, because New Orleans is in some deep trouble if it isn't.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 1, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
So they evacuated N.O. and no major damage or flooding ocurred. How difficult do you think it will be to get people to leave next time there is a Hurr threat in that area?

We might find out VERY soon.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
Scary... because this one could really be what Gustav was supposed to be, and NO ONE is going to leave... they just left and they won't leave again.

It'll probably lose some strength over Cuba, but at the same time, it could get some back in the Gulf. If this thing is a major storm (cat 3 is the most likely senario), keeps heading for New Orleans, and people don't leave because of the false alarm last week.....it could be Katrina part 2. Obviously, let's hope that perfect storm senario doesn't play out.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)
It'll probably lose some strength over Cuba, but at the same time, it could get some back in the Gulf. If this thing is a major storm (cat 3 is the most likely senario), keeps heading for New Orleans, and people don't leave because of the false alarm last week.....it could be Katrina part 2. Obviously, let's hope that perfect storm senario doesn't play out.

There's a trough coming down that might push it on west, or duck hook right back into Fla. But it's going to be another day or so before we really have an idea.

Somewhat off topic, but interesting. Could this be the start of a new dialogue between post Castro Cuba and the U.S. ?

On Saturday, Cuban officials asked the U.S. to loosen the "ruthless and cruel" decades-old trade embargo on the Communist-ruled island in the wake of deadly flooding caused by powerful storms. Cuba was also hit hard by Hurricane Gustav.

"If the government of the United States is really willing to cooperate with the Cuban people in face of the tragedy of the hurricane, it is requested to allow the sale to Cuba of those materials considered indispensable and to suspend the restrictions that prevent U.S. companies from offering private commercial credits to our country for the purchase of food in the United States," said the statement from the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

"In all truth, the only correct and ethical action ... would be to eliminate totally and permanently the ruthless and cruel economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed against our Motherland for almost half a century," the statement said.

The U.S. State Department issued a statement Friday, after government officials had offered to help Cuban flood victims.

"We do not believe that at this time it is necessary to loosen the restrictions on remittances and travel to Cuba to accomplish the objective of aiding the hurricane victims," the statement said.

Holy s***balls. I was watching the local weather and the center of circulation of TROPICAL STORM Ike is supposed to go right over Fort Worth Sunday at 2AM. Yep, a tropical storm this far inland. They said that we'd get 5 to 6 inches of rain and 40-60 mph winds for a period of about 8 hours Saturday to Sunday morning. Should be exciting!

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 07:44 AM)
Holy s***balls. I was watching the local weather and the center of circulation of TROPICAL STORM Ike is supposed to go right over Fort Worth Sunday at 2AM. Yep, a tropical storm this far inland. They said that we'd get 5 to 6 inches of rain and 40-60 mph winds for a period of about 8 hours Saturday to Sunday morning. Should be exciting!

It wasn't labeled a TS, but Gustav dropped nearly 6 inches of rain on St Louis and 4 on us. I don't ever rememeber a hurricane reaching that far before. Hang in there Kap! Have a TS party, LOL. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 07:01 AM)
It wasn't labeled a TS, but Gustav dropped nearly 6 inches of rain on St Louis and 4 on us. I don't ever rememeber a hurricane reaching that far before. Hang in there Kap! Have a TS party, LOL. :lolhitting

Depending on how close the center gets, I'll do something stupid to commemorate. It's just like college, except, it's not a TORNADO WATCH, it's a TROPICAL STORM WATCH. Ohhh. Weird.

Tropical storms can live a long time. I remember when Ivan came through, it was, I believe, still at Cat 1 hurricane status when it hit Birmingham (about 4 hours inland). It knocked out power in most of the area, in some places for a week (only about 8 hours at my place). It seemed like it rained forever and trees were uprooting everywhere and those that stayed in the ground were damn near blowing sideways. Minor building damage was done and at least one gas station canopy came down.

Katrina brought lots of rain, but was not nearly as strong by the time it got to Birmingham. I think the eye stayed to the west. Ivan's eye passed right over Birmingham.

If you are that far inland, expect one helluva storm, but not a life-threatening one. I know hurricanes wreak havoc on coastal cities, but farther inland they are kinda cool.

They updated the track and as of now, it looks like it's forecast to make landfall in between Corpus Christi and Houston (but much closer to Houston). It's such a large storm though, and combine that with the fact that the forecast track of it seems to vary widely by day, and they should be on alert pretty much throughout Texas and even towards the Louisiana border. The entire "forecast cone" area is at risk. This thing could be a real whopper in terms of a major cat 3 or maybe even a 4 when it makes landfall though, regardless of where that may be, so this is trouble. The best hope right now is the center of it makes landfall in between Houston and Corpus Christi in areas with not as many people, or so I would think. Also, the 5 day forecast track shows this thing will probably move in a similar fashion to Gustav once it gets well inland, bringing rain all the way up to Chicago next week. But again, that a long way off and first, let's hope Texas does as well as possible in this. I wonder if they'll have to evacuate Harris County (Houston).

Edited by whitesoxfan101