Republican Convention Thread.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
I was poking fun at the McCain camp's attempt at painting Obama as a celebrity.

I know, its lost on me. The stupid stuff said by campaigns is a complete waste of time. Its a distraction from the things that really matter. I am not a lock-step McCainiac, so I don't mind calling him wrong for what he saids.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:38 AM)
I was poking fun at the McCain camp's attempt at painting Obama as a celebrity.

i think it is the constant genuflecting by the pundits with tingles going up their legs, celebs wearing his t-shirts and sendinghiim personal emails, etc. that have painted him as a celebrity, not the McCain camp. They are just pointing and saying "See? We told you!"

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:48 AM)
i think it is the constant genuflecting by the pundits with tingles going up their legs, celebs wearing his t-shirts and sendinghiim personal emails, etc. that have painted him as a celebrity, not the McCain camp. They are just pointing and saying "See? We told you!"

Their campaign spent millions of dollars on an ad focused on Obama as a celebrity.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
Their campaign spent millions of dollars on an ad focused on Obama as a celebrity.

And how else is he supposed to say "See, I told you!'? Stand on the corner and yell at people as they pass by? Obama and friends have given him more than enough tape to show that to be the case. it didn't have to be made up, it is there. The Cult of Obama exists.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
And I also think it's the tens of millions of supporters that make him look like a celebrity. Can't blame this all on a handful of pundits.

Thanks, you just made my point. Now, onto another question. I wonder why MSNBC decided not to have Olbermann do the republican convention? Didn't he do a great job with the Democratic convention? I wonder what they were afraid he would say? Or do?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 06:30 AM)
Thanks, you just made my point. Now, onto another question. I wonder why MSNBC decided not to have Olbermann do the republican convention? Didn't he do a great job with the Democratic convention? I wonder what they were afraid he would say? Or do?

Considering the repeated on-air meltdowns of the MSNBC staff at the DNC, I don't think a shakeup is a bad move. Hell, if Olbermann's ratings weren't so high I wouldn't have been surprised if MSNBC suspended him for a while after the DNC.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)

Do you actually want Olbermann doing the RNC though? Plus he would have a stroke or something.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
Do you actually want Olbermann doing the RNC though? Plus he would have a stroke or something.

I don't want Olbermann doing any sort of political convention. I can live with bias in my news coverage, but Olbermann flat out has an agenda. He is going to never say a negative word about the left, or a positive word about the right. I have no respect for his "news" reporting because he tries to make his own opinion the news. Most reporters have a bias, but at least TRY to give you the news in a fair manner (although it doesn't always work well, but their heart is in it). He doesn't.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
I don't want Olbermann doing any sort of political convention. I can live with bias in my news coverage, but Olbermann flat out has an agenda. He is going to never say a negative word about the left, or a positive word about the right. I have no respect for his "news" reporting because he tries to make his own opinion the news. Most reporters have a bias, but at least try to give you the news in a fair manner. He doesn't.

He's not a reporter though. He's a personality.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)
He's not a reporter though. He's a personality.

He's a personality when he does his little shtick every evening. If you put him at the politican convention of either of the two major parties, an event which is historic and has million upon millions of viewers, and make him a host rather than an admittedly biased commentator, that is something else. I don't watch much MSNBC (or Fox News) because both channels are a joke, but I think the host of the coverage of a major political convention shouldn't have an agenda to favor one specific party. Bias is something I can live with even if it annoys me, but flat out agenda isn't fair to the viewers. Just my opinion.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
He's a personality when he does his little shtick every evening. If you put him at the politican convention of either of the two major parties, an event which is historic and has million upon millions of viewers, and make him a host rather than an admittedly biased commentator, that is something else. I don't watch much MSNBC (or Fox News) because both channels are a joke, but I think the host of the coverage of a major political convention shouldn't have an agenda to favor one specific party. Bias is something I can live with even if it annoys me, but flat out agenda isn't fair to the viewers. Just my opinion.

I watch him sometimes mostly for comedic value. He's really, really over the top with his Bush-bashing, even by my standards.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I watch him sometimes mostly for comedic value. He's really, really over the top with his Bush-bashing, even by my standards.

His Bush-bashing doesn't bother me, Bush deserves every bit of bashing he gets. My problem with him is his agenda for Barack Obama. Even when comparing him to fellow democrat Hillary Clinton, he was COMPLETELY unfair and biased in favor of Obama.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:52 AM)
His Bush-bashing doesn't bother me, Bush deserves every bit of bashing he gets. My problem with him is his agenda for Barack Obama. Even when comparing him to fellow democrat Hillary Clinton, he was COMPLETELY unfair and biased in favor of Obama.

I've said before that instead of wearing a suit and tie he should wear a skirt and tank top/sweater with "Obama '08" across the front.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)

Sure. Think of the ratings THAT would get! Moonbat libs turnign in to see thier hero lay one on the Repubs, moonbat Repubs turning in to see the media bias posterboy in action, the women's groups waiting to see how long until he makes a sexist comment about Palin and the FCC waiting to fine them for his inevitable meltdown when he finally tells someone on air to f*** off. Oh, and yeah, he wold probably have a stroke or something.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
Sure. Think of the ratings THAT would get! Moonbat libs turnign in to see thier hero lay one on the Repubs, moonbat Repubs turning in to see the media bias posterboy in action, the women's groups waiting to see how long until he makes a sexist comment about Palin and the FCC waiting to fine them for his inevitable meltdown when he finally tells someone on air to f*** off. Oh, and yeah, he wold probably have a stroke or something.

:lolhitting

Oh, I watched pieces of Lieberman's speech last night by the way. Lieberman praised Obama's eloquence but said that doesn't qualify him to lead. All right, fair enough. But then he pulled out the old "Obama voted against the troops" line. Well let's examine this. Did Obama vote against a bill to provide funding for the troops? Yes, yes he did. He did so for the reason that most Democrats did at the time, because he wanted the timetable in the bill. Now, on the flip side, Lieberman - and also McCain - voted against a bill to provide funding also, because it had the timetable in it, and they wanted it out. Based off Lieberman's shallow definition, doesn't this mean that he voted against the troops as well?

If anyone wondered why people hate Lieberman this is why. It's about as close as you can be to a bald-faced lie without actually being one... the fact that he did this in front of the GOP convention notwithstanding.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Oh, I watched pieces of Lieberman's speech last night by the way. Lieberman praised Obama's eloquence but said that doesn't qualify him to lead. All right, fair enough. But then he pulled out the old "Obama voted against the troops" line. Well let's examine this. Did Obama vote against a bill to provide funding for the troops? Yes, yes he did. He did so for the reason that most Democrats did at the time, because he wanted the timetable in the bill. Now, on the flip side, Lieberman - and also McCain - voted against a bill to provide funding also, because it had the timetable in it, and they wanted it out. Based off Lieberman's shallow definition, doesn't this mean that he voted against the troops as well?

If anyone wondered why people hate Lieberman this is why. It's about as close as you can be to a bald-faced lie without actually being one... the fact that he did this in front of the GOP convention notwithstanding.

That is admittedly a low blow by Lieberman, but every politician does stuff like that. It's why most people don't like them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
That is admittedly a low blow by Lieberman, but every politician does stuff like that. It's why most people don't like them.

I concur... this is just a pretty stark contrast from the Lieberman that spoke in front of the Dem convention as the VP nominee in 2000.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
I concur... this is just a pretty stark contrast from the Lieberman that spoke in front of the Dem convention as the VP nominee in 2000.

They can only go so long before resorting to the lies. It's really sad, and one of the main reasons I think I'll always be a man without a party. I'll always lean my ways on certain issues, and generally will lean to the right, but that's about it.