Wish you had been there

Texsox

So I have donated to my camp a 2 bedroom mobile home for my summer and weekend stays. It has to be moved 100 miles and located on a raised area of camp. It will be positioned out in the Laguna Madre, about a 1/2 mile from the Gulf of Mexico. The land has been valued at over $30,000,000. Awesome views with dolphins, ships (not shipps), sailboats, and other water craft floating by. Anyhow, I'm not worried about the move because I hired skilled and experienced home movers for the task. ;)

One of the men who help with camp has coordinated the efforts and was there early driving his Yukon instead of his Cadillac. I thought that was a little strange, since he wasn't towing his boat or anything, but I had other things to attend to.

When the house finally arrived, it was being towed by a International Semi tractor. They arrived at the gate, which was a straight shot to the small concrete covered hill that the house would be sitting on. At that moment, I knew things would be getting interesting. After shaking hands and the howdys were over, I watched in disbelieve as a tow rope was rigged from the Yukon to the semi, which was towing the house. As this was registering, I heard the supervisor give the order to GO! and off they went charging across camp and up the hill.

Rayburn_towing1.jpg

They take off across camp, the Yukon pulling the Semi, pulling the house, at as close to full speed as they can go. :lolhitting Once the Yukon was about half way across the slab he drove to the left and got out of the way, the semi went a few feet further and stopped as well. At the end of the "runway" was a 12 foot drop that would have hurt. Unfortunately the house was only partway up the sand hill! Ah if I close my eyes I can still hear the yelling and screaming. If Los Medios Blancos was there, I might be able to tell you what he was yelling. As they try to drive the next four feet or so, tires were spinning and nothing was happening. More yelling and screaming. Then we have that great moment in all cluster f***s, seven guys standing around looking at the problem. After several minutes of thought, the answer becomes clear. More Power!

Part 2 later, I have to run to a Doctors appointment.

So now the guys are placing boards underneath the trailer wheels to provide some traction. Two guys are laying underneath the trailer, as it is moving and wrestling the boards in place. I look and think to myself, they either love their jobs, or hate living. I'm First Aid trained but I really do not want to be laying on the ground explaining, "a house fell on you, I am first aid trained, do you want me to help?". Anyway they get into position, and this time with the Yukon, a pickup, and Semi, they get the house up on top. Yeah! Now I'm starting to wonder how they are going to maneuver the house into position. The Semi seems too big, and there is not enough space to really move around.

As they are unhooking the semi, I assume they will be using the pickups. Nope. They move the pickups out of the way also. As they put this house on what appear to be roller skates on steroids, I realize they are going to be pushing this dam thing. Remember that 12' drop from episode one? They are pushing the house towards that drop off. As it gains momentum, the head cheese starts screaming stop! stop! STOP! Whew, that was close. Now for another 3 hours they will be jacking the house up, placing these wheels underneath, them pushing the house into position. Nothing like a professional job.

LS_house_frm_E.jpg

My new weekend and summer retreat. Hurricane Dolly made landfall about 15 miles south of here.

I must say, that looks great!

I feel for those guys, I was a mover over the summer, hardest f'in job I hope to ever have. And it paid crap as well, I hate our economy and making high school grads looking for college money scouring over awful jobs...

Just one note on this, ALWAYS tip the movers, and say it beforehand that you are going to, and maybe buy them lunch or something, I know that for me this made me go alot faster, your stuff suddenly seemed like mine and I would be alot more careful (not that i wouldnt be anyways, but you just get so much more motivated when a tip is on the line). Oh, and stay the frick out of the way, one way to really piss off a mover is to tell them how to do their job or stand by them the whole time.

That story is hilarious. Looks like it all worked out though and the weekend spot is fraekin awesome.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
I must say, that looks great!

I hate our economy and making high school grads looking for college money scouring over awful jobs...

I don't really get what you are complaining about. A bachlors degree ain't even worth s*** anymore. If it was easy to find good-easy money out of high school no one would goto college and I wouldn't have put myself 50 grand in debt. And for all that, I get to sit in a cubicle and post on soxtalk all day.

My advice would be to get a server job...it may be a little hectic, but people make a living off it and all they have to do is write orders and carry food out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
So when is the housewarming party, and what flight are you paying for?

Instead I'll be spending part of December in Chicago. I am so stupid, and that isn't in green for a reason. LOL