Media Bias: Perceived or Real? To what extent, and where?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122158807066443975.html

Barack Obama's struggling campaign is trying to capitalize on the crisis affecting capitalists. The Hill reports that "critics are pointing to a 1999 law co-sponsored by then-Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Texas) and that paved the way for consolidation between commercial and investment banks":

"The system of regulation of these integrated banks has failed, and it is clear that much stronger firewalls are needed," AFL-CIO President John Sweeney said of the so-called Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) picked up on that line during a scathing floor speech Tuesday morning that compared Sen. McCain's (R-Ariz.) approach to the economy with that of the Hoover administration. In his speech, Reid blasted the Republican candidate's decision to choose Gramm as a top economic adviser. . . .

Gramm served as McCain's chief economic adviser until July when he resigned after saying the country is in a "mental recession" and has "sort of become a nation of whiners."

Given those highly impolitic remarks, you can hardly blame Democrats for wanting to remind people about Gramm. But this particular line of attack is a bit problematic. As an unnamed McCain aide points out to the Hill, the chief House co-sponsor of the bill, then-Rep. Jim Leach of Iowa, is a co-founder of Republicans for Obama. If he has had second thoughts about banking deregulation, he did not mention them in his Democratic Convention speech.

In the Senate, Gramm-Leach-Bliley passed by a vote of 90-8 before being signed into law by President Bill Clinton, a Democrat. Among those voting "aye" were Scathing Sen. Harry Reid and Sen. Joe Biden, Barack Obama's running mate. John McCain was absent, off campaigning for the 2000 New Hampshire primary.

As for Obama, he was not yet in the Senate in 1999. But the man he later replaced, Republican Peter Fitzgerald, voted "present." Must be an Illinois thing.

Except, that wasn't the vote to pass the measure. Oops! That was a procedural vote!

The actual vote? 54-44. McCain voted to pass the bill. Reid, Biden voted no.

Here's the vote record. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll...&vote=00105

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
NBC had an interview with the former CEO of HP

Mitchell: "Do you think Sarah Palin could run a corporation?"

Fiorina: No, I don't she could, or John McCain, or Barack Obama, or Joe Biden"

What did NBC air?

Mitchell: "Do you think Sarah Palin could run a corporation?"

Fiorina: "No, I don't think she could, or John McCain."

That ended what they showed of the interview. lol.

Link?

by Mark Silva

Not everyone can run a major corporation.

Particularly not John McCain or Sarah Palin, Barack Obama or Joe Biden.

So says Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett Packard and a close adviser to McCain's presidential campaign who once was viewed as a private-sector prospect for a running mate.

It's not the same thing as running a country, the ex-CEO says. What ever happened to those days when the likes of Lee Iacocca were considered worthwhile candidates? Or H. Ross Perot? Or Michael Bloomberg, the media czar and mayor of New York. Or Vice President Dick Cheney, for that matter -- didn't he run Haliburton?

Fiorina was quoted today as saying that Palin, the first-term Alaska governor whom McCain tapped for his running mate, could not run a major corporation like HP.

This caused something of a stir, for sure.

So Fiorina amended her remark, in an interview with Andrea Mitchell of NBC News (see them above). "Well, I don't think John McCain could run a major corporation,'' McCain's advisor said.

Huh?

"I don't think Barack Obama could run a major corporation. I don't think Joe Biden could run a major corporation," she said. "But on the other hand a major corporation is not the same as being the president or vice president of the United States. It is a fallacy to suggest that the country is like a company, so of course, to run a business, you have to have a lifetime of experience in business, but that's not what Sarah Palin, John McCain, Joe Biden or Barack Obama are doing."

Fiorina had started the ball rolling in a talk with St. Louis KTRS Radio: "Do you think she has the experience to run a major company, like Hewlett Packard?" Fiorina was asked of Palin. ""No, I don't," Fiorina said. "But you know what? That's not what she's running for."

As for Fiorina, who left HP with a push and a "golden parachute," Democrat strategist Jennifer Palmieri suggested on MSNBC today: "She also proved that she can't run a major corporation.''

It seems she kept changing her remark. Do you have a time line?

(The story was first reported by Sam Stein at Huffington Post. Fiorina later confirmed and defended what she said, going further in an interview this afternoon with NBC's Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC dismissing McCain, Obama or Biden's capability to run a company.)

From doing a quick research she first spoke only of Palin, because that was the topic at hand. Then she added McCain, finally she added Obama and Biden. So you will find reports, all accurate as of that moment, what she had said at that moment.

Now one could judge the media for not waiting a day or two to see if she changed her quote, but that isn't the kind of instant reporting we want. We want exactly what she said, when she said it.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 16, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
Those extra 6 words take up valuable space! get with the program!

Take an earlier report, add a later quote, and call media bias! That's the program! :lolhitting

Or as was later discovered, take a candidates email as proof.

Edited by Texsox
Edited for accuracy

oops my bad

It appears that it was the Obama campaign that clipped the quote and used it. Much different situation than NBC doing. I'm sorry NBC.

I shouldn't take any email I get at face value from the Obama, or most any politician's, campaign. I should have known better.

I checked FOX news (because I know thats Texsox favorite news channel) and found out what happened.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/16/fi...pping-my-quote/

Earlier in the day, Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, appeared on MSNBC, where she said none of the candidates is qualified to run a major corporation, but that should not prevent them from running the country.

“I don’t think John McCain could run a major corporation. I don’t think Barack Obama could run a major corporation. I don’t think Joe Biden could run a major corporation. But on the other hand a major corporation is not the same as being the president or vice president of the United States,” Fiorina said.

“It is a fallacy to suggest that the country is like a company. So of course to run a business you have to have a lifetime of experience in business, but that’s not what Sarah Palin, John McCain, Joe Biden or Barack Obama are doing,” she said.

But the Obama campaign, in an e-mail linking to a YouTube video of Fiorina’s statement that was clipped after the first sentence, berated McCain for not winning the trust of even his own supporters.

“When John McCain’s top economic adviser doesn’t think that he’s qualified to run a corporation — how on Earth can he run the largest economy in the world in the midst of a financial crisis?” Obama spokesman Bill Burton said in a statement accompanying the shortened clip.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
http://www.kvoa.com/global/Story.asp?s=9022198

Son of a US Congressman arrested for smuggling illegal immigrants.

no mention of party affiliation in the few paragraphs.......that ought to get Alpha all riled up this morning!!!!! :lolhitting

edit: gee....looking that up took a whole 30 seconds....

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 06:12 AM)
no mention of party affiliation in the few paragraphs.......that ought to get Alpha all riled up this morning!!!!! :lolhitting

Nope, not me. I now realize how important the space savings is for that ommission. There is only so much room and taking up space with needless identifiers is wastefull and time consuming.

QUOTE (juddling @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)

How am I to know which way to spin this without a party affiliation?

Was his son his own man, and independent of his father, like Palin and her daughter's out of wedlock baby??

Or was this an indictment of poor parenting and a reflection on the morals of teh congressman and his party??

Without a D or R what am I to think?? /turning on the Rush Show, he'll know what I should think!

Seriously the fact that this has boiled down to party identification being the barometer of bias is silly.

In some stories, the reporter may not find it important. In others, like the case of republicans who railed against gay rights but they themselves were in gay activities, I find it relevant.

Sen. Barack Obama has launched a new Spanish-language TV ad that seeks to paint Sen. John McCain as anti-immigrant, even tying the Republican to his longtime conservative talk-radio nemesis Rush Limbaugh.

As first reported by the Washington Post, Obama's ad features a narrator saying: "They want us to forget the insults we've put up with...the intolerance...they made us feel marginalized in this country we love so much."

The screen then shows these two quotes from Limbaugh:

"...stupid and unskilled Mexicans."

--Rush Limbaugh

"You shut your mouth or you get out!"

--Rush Limbaugh

The narrator then says, "John McCain and his Republican friends have two faces. One that says lies just to get our vote...and another, even worse, that continues the policies of George Bush that

Will the media go apes*** over Barry's new immigration ad like they did last week over McCain's sex ed ad?

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Sen. Barack Obama has launched a new Spanish-language TV ad that seeks to paint Sen. John McCain as anti-immigrant, even tying the Republican to his longtime conservative talk-radio nemesis Rush Limbaugh.

As first reported by the Washington Post, Obama's ad features a narrator saying: "They want us to forget the insults we've put up with...the intolerance...they made us feel marginalized in this country we love so much."

--Rush Limbaugh

--Rush Limbaugh

The narrator then says, "John McCain and his Republican friends have two faces. One that says lies just to get our vote...and another, even worse, that continues the policies of George Bush that

Will the media go apes*** over Barry's new immigration ad like they did last week over McCain's sex ed ad?

Probably not. But more because the ad is in Spanish. And with the Dow dropping through the floor, and the fed nationalizing giant corporations every week, it seems like the news hole for this kind of story doesn't exist. I think we'd see the same thing if it was a McCain ad as well. Given that the Lipstickonapiggate got two days of nonstop coverage everywhere, I don't see this thing really lies on party lines.

That being said, it is a pretty s***ty and dishonest ad.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)

--Rush Limbaugh

--Rush Limbaugh

Unfair of Obama. While I do not believe McCain will be a favorable as Bush towards migrant workers, to paint him with a Rush brush is unfair.

But if this is an ad, why is it in a media bias thread?I think we all agree that Rush is biased and his show is a conservative commercial.

--Rush Limbaugh

--Rush Limbaugh

Wasn't it McCain that Limbaugh said he would rather vote for Hillary than?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 09:56 AM)
Seriously the fact that this has boiled down to party identification being the barometer of bias is silly.

In some stories, the reporter may not find it important. In others, like the case of republicans who railed against gay rights but they themselves were in gay activities, I find it relevant.

I have been yelled at in several different replies that the party isn't mentioned when the story concerns local officials like govenors and state reps, but IS mentioned when it references congressmen. Just pointing out that ommission, however minor to the story it may be.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
I have been yelled at in several different replies that the party isn't mentioned when the story concerns local officials like govenors and state reps, but IS mentioned when it references congressmen. Just pointing out that ommission, however minor to the story it may be.

BUT IS'S A LIE! A LIE I TELL YOU! A PATTERN OF LIES! (consider that in half-green)

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
That being said, it is a pretty s***ty and dishonest ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't McCain release the same kind of ad about Obama not too long ago on the same subject?

By the way, these ads never actually get played, they just get passed to the media so they can get free coverage while the pundits argue over them.

--Rush Limbaugh

--Rush Limbaugh

This one definitely crosses the line I was discussing recently. This is just dishonest and s***ty.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
This one definitely crosses the line I was discussing recently. This is just dishonest and s***ty.

I will admit I don't listen to Limbaugh very often, but the last two times I did he was totally trashing McCain. During the GOP primary the talk radio types were in a rage over McCain winning the nomination. They especially despise McCain's stance on immigration.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 18, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)

How do you yell with type? Listen, if you want to have an honest discussion on this, let's have it. I've not been crusading in this thread with righteous indignation, I've not been yelling. You are making your points and I'm making mine, so let's not always take everything to an extreme.