Media Bias: Perceived or Real? To what extent, and where?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Texsox @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
I agree, which is why I was so disappointed that McCain chose to issue a press release and alert the media. Shameful stuff.

the media was going to go with it no matter what, the McCain camp coming out and being honest about it was the right move. but i'm sure you would support them going out and bulls***ting and lying. to each their own.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
I laugh when people talk about the "liberal media" or "mainstream media". The three major networks are not even close to being liberal or progressive. I would say they are moderate to right in their politics. The right has done a great job at spining it to look like CNN And MSNBC are owned and ran by communists.

like i've said before, i'm sure the guy with a Le Che poster thinks the msm is right wing.

they are moderate democrat to left leaning democrat: but a moderate democrat is a crazy right winger in your book. go figure.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
The epic hunt for the Lib-ruhl Media will continue, just as the hunt for Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and other mythical and very scary creatures continues.

nice post, completely useless, but thats really the status quo. can't complain i suppose.

:cheers

Edited by mr_genius

Most media members went to a Liberal Arts college and were frequently taught by "free-thinking" professors, as are most college students.

Of course they may slant slightly as a result.

Humans by nature, are biased towards their feelings, no matter how hard they try to be impartial.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:44 PM)
the media was going to go with it no matter what, the McCain camp coming out and being honest about it was the right move. but i'm sure you would support them going out and bulls***ting and lying. to each their own.

You are probably right, but it may have also played out well by McCain not issuing a statement and then the "it's a private matter" rings a little truer. And I really would not support bulls***ting and lying. One of the reasons I am supporting McCain in this election is personal integrity and character. To support him lying would be disingenuous.

Thank you for respecting my opinion with a "to each his own". It is important to understand we all have opinions here and usually they are all shades of right.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:45 PM)
like i've said before, i'm sure the guy with a Le Che poster thinks the msm is right wing.

they are moderate democrat to left leaning democrat: but a moderate democrat is a crazy right winger in your book. go figure.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
nice post, completely useless, but thats really the status quo. can't complain i suppose.

I agree with you.

Don't want to put a damper on things, but this specific topic has been discussed in this forum on many occasions. The liberals will claim there is no media bias and the conservatives will claim that there unquestionably is a media bias. There is nothing I can add to this conversation that I haven't said in here before.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:33 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1733261:date=Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:15 PM:name=lostfan)-->
QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
<!--quotec-->That's probably because she has...

...oh nevermind, I won't go there

080205191210-large.jpg or beautiful-picture-pussy-cat_1634.jpg ?

jugs.jpg

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
nice post, completely useless, but what i expect from you on a topic like this.

Says the unstoppable force to the unmovable object. :fight

If the MSM was one-tenth as left-leaning as your voluminous Filibuster screeds on the subject suggest, they'd not have given McCain a free pass on damn near every blunder, mis-statement and senior moment he has had this election. The press loves them some Mavericky McCain because he's so very Mavericky, and so they've most often treated him with kid gloves.

Just what are those Crazy Lib-ruhl Media bastards playing at anyway??

:ph34r:

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
Don't want to put a damper on things, but this specific topic has been discussed in this forum on many occasions. The liberals will claim there is no media bias and the conservatives will claim that there unquestionably is a media bias. There is nothing I can add to this conversation that I haven't said in here before.

i believe this is the thread where we all beat a dead horse and insult each other.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)

I think Genius hit it half on the head. From the left, the media looks conservative, from the right, it looks liberal. It is impossible to balance a story about Monica Lewinsky or Larry Craig. With those kinds of stories it may be impossible to balance the newspaper that day. They have to take the stories as they come. What I think has hurt our journalists is we've allowed the business side to get into the newsroom. Ratings driven stories abound. How much time was devoted to Natalie Holloway? Was that a liberal or conservative story? So to make profits, the media is forced to cover a 17 year old girl because without the story, viewers and readers will switch channels or buy the other paper.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Says the unstoppable force to the unmovable object. :fight

If the MSM was one-tenth as left-leaning as your voluminous Filibuster screeds on the subject suggest, they'd not have given McCain a free pass on damn near every blunder, mis-statement and senior moment he has had this election. The press loves them some Mavericky McCain because he's so very Mavericky, and so they've most often treated him with kid gloves.

Just what are those Crazy Lib-ruhl Media bastards playing at anyway??

:ph34r:

McCain is getting a free pass? The only coverage he gets is luke warm or negative.

Obama is treated with massive amounts of positive coverage. Let me guess, FLaSoxxJim, the MSM is actually conservative and pro-McCain... right? errrr

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
why you are welcome texsox

Hey, get a load of the civility. :)

And here i figured the "to each his own" comment was the equivalent of when Peter Jennings used to say to an interviewee, "Now, you're an intelligent man. . . surely, you're not suggesting. . . ". If he did that to someone twice in the course of the same interview, that was pretty much the same as him calling that person the dumbest SOB to ever walk into the studio.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
McCain is getting a free pass? The only coverage he gets is luke warm or negative.

Obama is treated with massive amounts of positive coverage. Let me guess, FLaSoxxJim, the MSM is actually conservative and pro-McCain... right? errrr

Now you are asking the media to sparkle up McCain, and that just isn't him. McCain is lukewarm compared to Obama. It's like comparing Andy Griffin to Brad Pitt. He is what he is. I'd be more worried if our media was trying to make McCain more like Obama or vice versa.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
Hey, get a load of the civility. :)

And here i figured the "to each his own" comment was the equivalent of when Peter Jennings used to say to an interviewee, "Now, you're an intelligent man. . . surely, you're not suggesting. . . ". If he did that to someone twice in the course of the same interview, that was pretty much the same as him calling that person the dumbest SOB to ever walk into the studio.

just as Dan Rather was an unbiased, journalistic standard bearer, my posts are always polite.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Oh s***. lol.

Money is the bottom line to everything, not ideological bias.

And that is relatively new to media. New as in the past 30 years. Prior to that business stayed out of the newsroom. We're an interest driven media market and sex and scandal sells

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)

They are not necessarily pro-McCain in his stances so much as they are, inexplicably, wooed into never taking him to task on much of anything. Hopefully that is starting to change.

As for that Liberal Media. . . well, I guess you got me there.

liberal-media.jpg

:lolhitting

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:13 PM)
Oh s***. lol.

Money is the bottom line to everything, not ideological bias.

I don't necessarily think that is always the case. However, I believe money can drive a network to an ideological base. FOX and MSNBC are great examples of choosing a political direction for a network merely for ratings.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
I don't necessarily think that is always the case. However, I believe money can drive a network to an ideological base. FOX and MSNBC is a great examples of choosing a political direction for a network merely for ratings.

That is true... but... the bottom line is still money here. MSNBC wouldn't have Keith Olbermann with his skirt and Obama '08 sweater on every night if there wasn't money in it for them. Fox, well, Fox wouldn't exist if they weren't trying to obviously play to a conservative market.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
They are not necessarily pro-McCain in his stances so much as they are, inexplicably, wooed into never taking him to task on much of anything. Hopefully that is starting to change.

As for that Liberal Media. . . well, I guess you got me there.

liberal-media.jpg

:lolhitting

Chris Matthews and Tim Russert are examples of conservatives in the media? Matthews is blatant in his support for Obama, he gets that tingly feeling when Barak gives a speech. Tim Russert played things right down the middle. Larry King is in the conservative media conspiracy now? lol

The rest are pretty much FOX and Rush Limbaugh. Now if I were to post pictures of the pro-Democrat media the server would crash, way too many.