Anyone else hate our offseason moves?

Paulie4Pres

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
no.

i would say Q has been decent, jackass

Alexei has been money, no doubt about that. But he was a rookie signing. We took a chance on Quentin and we got lucky. Thankfully, his injury bugs seem to be behind him and he's back to form. But Kenny expected very little out of him, and he even stated when we acquired CQ, that he was still looking for upgrades in the outfield. We acquired OC and Swisher just so Kenny could claim "big" offseason acquisitions, and both of those deals sucked, IMO. I'd rate our offseason moves as poor to average. We gave up a lot more than we got in return. Certainly, our "big" deals didn't pan out how they should have, for what we gave up. Sweeney may turn out to be a better player than Swisher, and Gio may be a legit #2 starter.... We could definitely use Garland right now...

Edited by CQMVP

funny we are in first place in september in a division we thought we couldn't win, and we are complaining about the deals now. strange. I was the first to complain about the deals in the spring. I will admit I never thought we would be where we are today, but i will say we wouldn't be where we are today if we had garland, sweeney and the great GIO. So at least for this year I think they were good deals. By the way GIO SUCKS. He will never make it, and sweeney is not all that great, He is just playing on a glorified triple A team right now.

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
Alexei has been money, no doubt about that. But he was a rookie signing. We took a chance on Quentin and we got lucky. Thankfully, his injury bugs seem to be behind him and he's back to form. But Kenny expected very little out of him, and he even stated when we acquired CQ, that he was still looking for upgrades in the outfield. We acquired OC and Swisher just so Kenny could claim "big" offseason acquisitions, and both of those deals sucked, IMO. I'd rate our offseason moves as poor to average. We gave up a lot more than we got in return. Certainly, our "big" deals didn't pan out how they should have, for what we gave up.

So.... let me see if I got this right...

The moves to get Quentin and Alexei, don't count because... they weren't "expected" to turn out.

So, the fact that we gave up an A-ball player for a guy who might win the MVP doesn't factor in to your evaluation of the offseason moves, eh???

LOL. Wow.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:56 AM)
Sort of ironic your screen name is CQMVP, isn't it?

You need to look big picture at things. This was a team that entered the off-season 72-90. The off-season moves that you've hated have resulted in the Sox leading the division longer that anyone else has this season, and by a rather large margin.

I was not a huge fan of the Cabrera trade, and still am not, but every deal isn't going to be a steal. Just doesn't work that way.

I have been terribly disappointed by Swisher this season, but still don't think it was a terrible trade. It can be argued Swisher has been better than Sweeney this year(He has), Gio hasn't been any better than Clayton this year, and the EARLIEST DLS makes the big leagues is 2011, and thats being really, really nice. On top of it, I really can't see Swisher being this bad next season. I could be wrong, but I don't see it.

Obviously, you left out Quentin-Lexi-Linebrink-Dotel, all of which have been great additions. Either way, this team going forward is in a much better position than it was in September of last year.

Seriously, it's like a recruiting class. You might have a 5 star recruit, a few 4 stars, etc. If the 5 star recruit doesn't pan out, and the 3 star recruits turn out to be studs, then it's still considered a great recruiting class in retrospect.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Seriously, it's like a recruiting class. You might have a 5 star recruit, a few 4 stars, etc. If the 5 star recruit doesn't pan out, and the 3 star recruits turn out to be studs, then it's still considered a great recruiting class in retrospect.

Doesn't mean you don't get pissed if your first round pick busts. Especially with the signing bonuses for these guys these days. (Sorry to flip leagues on you there, thought that worked better, considering how much we gave up to get him.)

I'd have no problem at all with any of those moves if Swisher had simply hit like he did last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
Doesn't mean you don't get pissed if your first round pick busts. Especially with the signing bonuses for these guys these days. (Sorry to flip leagues on you there, thought that worked better, considering how much we gave up to get him.)

I'd have no problem at all with any of those moves if Swisher had simply hit like he did last year.

We have a few more years though to see how the Swisher trade was. It's hard to complain about an offseason that gave us a lot of pieces to compete this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
We have a few more years though to see how the Swisher trade was. It's hard to complain about an offseason that gave us a lot of pieces to compete this season.

I know it, but really, if he'd hit like advertised in Oakland, we'd be 3-4 games up on the Twins or more right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 2, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
He looks so much better defensively in LF than he does in CF.

Seriously, this team really does need to do something this offseason to clear the logjam, other than just letting Griffey go. We just have more OF's than playing time for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:11 AM)
Seriously, this team really does need to do something this offseason to clear the logjam, other than just letting Griffey go. We just have more OF's than playing time for them.

The answer, as much as this will frustrate you, is to get rid of Thome. Swisher has no value at first base. You play him in LF, CQ in RF, and then put Dye in the DH spot. Use some of the money you would have given Thome, and go find a CF.

Ironic this post has come from someone with the name CQMVP

Quentin - move of the year in all of baseball

Ramirez - excellent find

Swisher - better than BA; better than Sweeney; better than Owens; he made our team better, how much is debateable

OC - Would you have wanted Uribe there at SS all year? Plus, our pitching has actually done a decent job if you look at the season as a whole. And he'll give us 2 picks next year

Linebrink - lights out until he got hurt

Dotel - awesome 80% of the time; still a tremendous upgrade from what he had and what he have in the minors

The answer, as much as this will frustrate you, is to get rid of Thome. Swisher has no value at first base. You play him in LF, CQ in RF, and then put Dye in the DH spot. Use some of the money you would have given Thome, and go find a CF.

That money that will be technically freed up won't be enough to get a real CF, and we'd be downgrading our DH and our OF offense.

How about biting the bullet and dumping Swisher?

I'll throw this one out to his fanboys; Swisher and his whole salary for Beltre. I wonder what Beltre's compensation will be after next year.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 02:22 AM)
That money that will be technically freed up won't be enough to get a real CF, and we'd be downgrading our DH and our OF offense.

How about biting the bullet and dumping Swisher?

I'll throw this one out to his fanboys; Swisher and his whole salary for Beltre. I wonder what Beltre's compensation will be after next year.

Sign me up for that trade

Yeah, yeah, ironic my name is CQMVP. My point, was that we had holes last year that killed us, and we STILL have those same holes this year. Obviously, given my name, I agree with everyone that says CQ was an absolute steal. No argument there. Ramirez has been a diamond in the rough too. But we really don't know what we have yet with those two. They might put up similiar numbers for the rest of their careers, or this season might just be an anamoly. Either way, they cost us nothing, so those are great moves.

OC is not a leadoff hitter, which we've needed since 2005. Nick Swisher is not the CF we've needed, ever since we got rid of Rowand... We've had holes at CF and leadoff hitter since 2005... Three seasons later and we're still trying to address the same holes in our lineup? Come on.

Linebrink has been great when he's healthy, but the Brewers really got their money's worth last year after they acquired him. He pitched a TON at the end of the season, and most people would tell you that's the major reason he's been on the DL so much this year. How much does he have left in the tank? Will he even pitch again this year in the ML? That remains to be seen. Our bullpen stats really don't tell the full story this season. We had a stellar first couple months, mostly because of Linebrink being lights out, but it has been a downhill ride ever since. I can't count how many games the bullpen has lost for us over the last two months.

How big of an upgrade is OC over Uribe? I don't think he's as solid defensively as Uribe, and he's a little bit better at the plate. It seems like OC's errors come in the worst possible situations, on, what seem to be, relatively routine plays. It also seems to me that they always end up leading to a game being blown wide open and out of reach. I'd definitely prefer to have John Garland in the lineup right now, and Uribe playing every day at SS. Even if OC is a slight upgrade at the plate.

On to Swisher over Brian Anderson.... Defensively? Not even close. Give me BA any day of the week. Offensively? Well, Swisher is batting an amazing .226 right now. He's what, 2 for his last 30? BA is at .235, and it's a lot harder to get hits in the situations that BA has been this season. He comes into the games late and gets one, maybe two at bats. Yeah, I would actually prefer BA in the lineup every day over Swisher. Call me crazy!

I just think that Kenny could have done a much, much better job in the offseason. Ultimately, I think the Swisher and OC moves will be the reason we don't go anywhere this year, IF we can somehow make it into the playoffs. With the way we've been playing lately, I really don't see us holding off the Twins, and if we do, we're one and done. Our pitching is starting to drop off. Danks seems like he's running on empty, and we only have four legitimate starters to begin with. Now we may be down to three? Our bullpen is still not healthy, and they do their job one out of every 5 games. Our offense has been sporadic, at best. If we don't hit home runs, we don't win. Period. I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched pretty much every game over the last 3 months...and this is just what I've witnessed.