Sarah Palin

YASNY

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
that's part of the lie. She makes it sound like it was sold on ebay... which it wasnt. And she makes it sound liek the idea of putting it on e-bay was her idea... which it wasn. She says she opposed the bridge... she didn't. She says she'll cut spending.... but billed the state for time at home.

Like he said, it's the CONSTANT lies. And it's just not her either. The "sex-ed for kindergartners" was a flat out lie. The McCain ad with Wolves lied on both points (that Obama was pushing palin's smears and the 30 people 'air dropped' into Alaska). His constant lies about Obama raising taxes.

It's a trend of flat out lies that are DISCREDITED by independent sources that the McCain campaign continues to push even after being called out on them.

There's a difference between bending the truth to fit a narrative and flat out lying.

Who stopped the bridge from being built?

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
Who stopped the bridge from being built?

congress. they wouldnt give Alaska the money to build it because they thought it was a pointless project. So, Palin took what little money congress had already given them for the project and spent it elsewhere. She didnt pull the project, Congress pulled it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
congress. they wouldnt give Alaska the money to build it because they thought it was a pointless project. So, Palin took what little money congress had already given them for the project and spent it elsewhere. She didnt pull the project, Congress pulled it.

I thought they funded it but not completely so the project was scrapped.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:40 AM)
I thought they funded it but not completely so the project was scrapped.

right. But Palin makes it sound as if she had this great epiphany and decided earmark money from congress was bad. We shouldn't ask for it. But that's just not true. They were FORCED to cancel the project because it wouldnt be funded. At the time, she even said something to the effect of "the people of congress dont understand the importance of this project. Our work is in futility. Let's stop". That's not exactly saying you opposed it. It's saying you lost.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:02 PM)
Did Palin ever say she never supported the bridge? or Did Palin say she put a stop to the bridge?

I believe the quote is "I told Congress, Thanks, but no thanks for the bridge to nowhere."

In reality she really said, "Oh pretty please! Thanks! Oh wait, no? But can we keep that money anyway? Great, thanks! Let's build a bridge in Wasilla!"

So I guess, if the text of the script reads, "Thanks..., [but] no... thanks!" it might be accurate.

Here's a link to the video of her making the claim on September 9.

QUOTE (mreye @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
Really? Well, that does it. I'm voting for Obama now. It's what the rest of the world wants me to do.

Well I guess if America wants to become more "isolated" from the world in these testy times, unfortunately I think another 8 years of Republicans in Office is probably going to achieve that outcome.

JMHO though.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I believe the quote is "I told Congress, Thanks, but no thanks for the bridge to nowhere."

In reality she really said, "Oh pretty please! Thanks! Oh wait, no? But can we keep that money anyway? Great, thanks! Let's build a bridge in Wasilla!"

So I guess, if the text of the script reads, "Thanks..., [but] no... thanks!" it might be accurate.

Here's a link to the video of her making the claim on September 9.

So your answer to my question is no she never said she didn't support it. But she did stop it.

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:04 PM)
So your answer to my question is no she never said she didn't support it. But she did stop it.

Let me put this in sports terms: She fought to win the game. When she lost, she took her ball and went home in protest, but then says she wasn't really trying to win.

It took long enough: Palin to meet the press

The McCain campaign confirms to me that multiple Sarah Palin interviews are being negotiated with various outlets -- and that the interviews are all but certain to start early next week.

The McCain campaign confirmed the discussions with media outlets in response to our request for clarification of McCain's quotes in an interview with a Maine news outlet, in which he said: "The fact is that she's coming out in the next couple of days with interviews with numerous people."

A McCain campaign aide declined to offer specifics, but said the interviews were set to begin early in the week, after Palin's return from Alaska. Asked if she were confining her interviews to conservative outlets, the aide said no -- and added a little dig at McCain's leading media nemesis.

"She's going to be all kinds of media, though I doubt MSNBC will appear on the schedule," the aide said.

Yea, I'd hate to have her actually answer tough questions about her record. Wouldnt want to do that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
You guys are cracking me up over this political speech. Every candidate does it, even Obama Christ himself. Remember when he kept saying that McCain wanted to wage war for another 100 years? What a liar he was!

:rollseyes:

No, he misspoke. BIG difference.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
You guys are cracking me up over this political speech. Every candidate does it, even Obama Christ himself. Remember when he kept saying that McCain wanted to wage war for another 100 years? What a liar he was!

:rollseyes:

If you want to roll up verbal fumblings - like McCain's 100 year line or Obama saying we had 57 states - in with actual lies like Palin stopping the bridge (out and out lie), then I guess that might make you feel better about the person lying. Feel free. But to me and most others, there is a difference there.

All campaigns exaggerate and push the envelope, no doubt. But one of the reasons I prefer Obama is that I have yet to see him be outright false about something. IF someone can show me an example of him doing that, please provide it. I'd like to see it. He probably has, but I haven't seen it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
It took long enough: Palin to meet the press

Yea, I'd hate to have her actually answer tough questions about her record. Wouldnt want to do that.

I think her refusal to meet the media for this long is a joke, but I wouldn't talk to MSNBC if I were a republican, just as I would avoid Fox News if I were a democrat. Anybody from either party who does otherwise has my respect though (I respect Obama for going on O'Reilly for example) because it's like going into a hornets nest from either perspective.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 11:37 AM)
He's only saying what the rest of the world is thinking though (well except for Turkey).

Everyone will lose more faith in America and its people if you elect John McCain (and then end up having a female president with only 2 years experience from Alaska).

The rest of the world isn't as aware of the problems in America as America itself is. Realistically, Washington is broken and neither Barack Obama or John McCain will fix it, regardless of what both sides are saying. The question is not who will make America better, it's who will screw it up less.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
If you want to roll up verbal fumblings - like McCain's 100 year line or Obama saying we had 57 states - in with actual lies like Palin stopping the bridge (out and out lie), then I guess that might make you feel better about the person lying. Feel free. But to me and most others, there is a difference there.

All campaigns exaggerate and push the envelope, no doubt. But one of the reasons I prefer Obama is that I have yet to see him be outright false about something. IF someone can show me an example of him doing that, please provide it. I'd like to see it. He probably has, but I haven't seen it.

Verbal fumblings?! Obama lied to people for over a month of campaigning by saying McCain wanted to be in Iraq for 100 years, even though that's not at all what McCain said or what McCain meant. I consider that the same - blatantly misquoting/misrepresentuing the situation for political gain.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Verbal fumblings?! Obama lied to people for over a month of campaigning by saying McCain wanted to be in Iraq for 100 years, even though that's not at all what McCain said or what McCain meant. I consider that the same - blatantly misquoting/misrepresentuing the situation for political gain.

If people believed that comment was more than in jest given McCain's physical condition, then shame on them.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:56 PM)
The rest of the world isn't as aware of the problems in America as America itself is. Realistically, Washington is broken and neither Barack Obama or John McCain will fix it, regardless of what both sides are saying. The question is not who will make America better, it's who will screw it up less.

I'm talking about America's foreign policy, and how that's viewed worldwide etc.

Also, the prevailing feeling I know from Australia, is how could you re-elect a Republican after 8 years of Bush and what he has done to the country?

The comment that Obama made of McCain voting 90% of the time with Bush, really hit hard for me on the above.