Sarah Palin

YASNY

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
The Obama campaign keeps on the "Bridge to Nowhere" story in a statement from Tommy Vietor:

hehe

As Glenn Reynolds noted, the New York Times and USA Today noted that Palin "ordered state transportation officials to abandon the ‘bridge to nowhere’ project that became a nationwide symbol of federal pork-barrel spending... She directed the State Transportation Department to find the most 'fiscally responsible' alternative for access to the airport."

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31...idge_to_Nowhere

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:29 AM)
Usually lodging, sometimes meals, never travel even when you fly the same flight.

Whenever I have had to travel, all lodging, transportation and two meals a day (including tips) have been reimbursed.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
All senators home base is their home state and they travel on gov't dime. Congressman too. If they stayed in Washington year round they would never meet with constituents and would be considered to have potomac fever. It is in our best interests to pay for these trips. This is a dumb topic, and it pertains to everyone in the conversation (all actors in the topic not the posters)

Isn't the basis of the article that she was billing taxpayers for staying in her home? I can see getting reimbursed for being on the road but when you are eating and sleeping in your own home why would she need to be reimbursed?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Cknolls @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
As Glenn Reynolds noted, the New York Times and USA Today noted that Palin "ordered state transportation officials to abandon the ‘bridge to nowhere’ project that became a nationwide symbol of federal pork-barrel spending... She directed the State Transportation Department to find the most 'fiscally responsible' alternative for access to the airport."

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/31...idge_to_Nowhere

the problem is it wasnt HER saying "thanks, but no thanks" it was the congress who told the people representing Alaska "thanks, but no thanks". She herself even said that there were a lot of misconceptions about the bridge, but it wasnt worth the battle.

In my book, saying you lost the battle isnt saying you pulled the project. It's admitting defeat. And you cant be defeated if you weren't for it.

I travel, but have never sought or received reimbursement for lodging or meals in my own home. My home = my dime. Isn't that the main point of the Post article, that Palin billed tax payers for nights spent at home? I mean, we all have to live and eat somewhere. Not everything can be on the employer's dime. And when your employer is the state, billing taxpayers for the room and board you are going to consume anyway may not be "wrong" in the sense of being illegal or unethical, but it certainly doesn't jibe with an image of reform.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:46 AM)
I travel, but have never sought or received reimbursement for lodging or meals in my own home. My home = my dime. Isn't that the main point of the Post article, that Palin billed tax payers for nights spent at home? I mean, we all have to live and eat somewhere. Not everything can be on the employer's dime. And when your employer is the state, billing taxpayers for the room and board you are going to consume anyway may not be "wrong" in the sense of being illegal or unethical, but it certainly doesn't jibe with an image of reform.

exactly my point, but far better written.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 07:39 AM)
the problem is it wasnt HER saying "thanks, but no thanks" it was the congress who told the people representing Alaska "thanks, but no thanks". She herself even said that there were a lot of misconceptions about the bridge, but it wasnt worth the battle.

In my book, saying you lost the battle isnt saying you pulled the project. It's admitting defeat. And you cant be defeated if you weren't for it.

And she still kept a good portion of the federal funds, she just spent them elsewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm making a business trip tomorrow, and I am on the company dime as soon as I get into my car to MDW.

You should be. And I would guess you will not bill tonight's stay IN YOUR OWN HOME as a business expense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I'm making a business trip tomorrow, and I am on the company dime as soon as I get into my car to MDW.

Damn straight, but you and I have to come off of it when we pull back into the driveway.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Whenever I have had to travel, all lodging, transportation and two meals a day (including tips) have been reimbursed.

As does Jim. I think that's pretty common sense since he, and I assume you, work for the company sending you on the trips.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Uh, no, I am serious.

So what do you think people here are stupid and don't understand the concept of getting reimbursed for making business trips? That wasn't even close to the point that was being made.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Is 312 nights spent at home (about 16 a month) not a question. She was home roughly 55% of the time.

I am not really well versed on political work hours.

oh interesting. so if the math holds up, she spent 55% of her nights at home 560 miles away from the capital.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
Big surprising response.

Don't round up the mileage...

Believe it or not, I think some people do NOT understand the reimbursement or payment thing for business travel. Plus, the dynamics are slightly different from company to company.

I think the big question really, is just, were these costs of beign at HOME for Sarah Palin? Because I have zero problem with travel reimbursement to/from the capitol, and any business trip expenses she has. I guess my only issue would be if she was at home billing for that time. That's not OK.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Damn straight, but you and I have to come off of it when we pull back into the driveway.

When I pull back into my driveway I can still be on the clock. It depends on what you do for a living and what your companies policies are. In a lot of telecommuting jobs or people who have to support a home office, the lines between the home and work blur a bit. It requires personal restraint and knowing what is truly you being on the clock. My home office is a full extension of my work office. My work phone moves over to my work phone in my office when I log in at home. My internet is 100% expensed every month. I have expensed some meals at home. Yes its my house, but when you get impacted on your weekend for an unexpected critical issue that takes up 36 hours of your time, I think a 10 dollar meal is more than palatable to ask.

QUOTE (Steff @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
Big surprising response.

Don't round up the mileage...

I'm not sure what all that is about, but something like 3 other people said basically the samething. It seemed as if people were comparing notes on business travel to me. If that was not the case, I sure missed it. But OK.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)
When I pull back into my driveway I can still be on the clock. It depends on what you do for a living and what your companies policies are. In a lot of telecommuting jobs or people who have to support a home office, the lines between the home and work blur a bit. It requires personal restraint and knowing what is truly you being on the clock. My home office is a full extension of my work office. My work phone moves over to my work phone in my office when I log in at home. My internet is 100% expensed every month. I have expensed some meals at home. Yes its my house, but when you get impacted on your weekend for an unexpected critical issue that takes up 36 hours of your time, I think a 10 dollar meal is more than palatable to ask.

Good point. Odds are she is enacting government business, even when she is at home.

Speaking of the bridge to nowhere, guess who all was for it before they were against it?

http://cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/obama...o-nowhere,1628/

Now that Alaska is front and center in the news again, it is a good time to catch up on a favorite story, The Bridge to Nowhere, using the Washington Post US Congress Votes Database.

Though Gov. Palin originally supported the earmark spending on the Ketchikan bridge (“to nowhere), she eventually killed the project, chosing to spend Federal money on other infrasturcture programs.

However, Sen. Biden and Sen. Obama voted for funding the Bridge, even when given a second chance by Sen. Tom Coburn, who proposed shifting earmark funds to Katrina relief.

Sen. McCain did not vote on the Coburn Amendment, though he is on record as opposing the Ketchikan bridge earmark.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
Speaking of the bridge to nowhere, guess who all was for it before they were against it?

http://cdobs.com/archive/our-columns/obama...o-nowhere,1628/

It was an earmark on another bill - this is why earmarks are bad. Do you vote against a bill that you think on balance is good, if its got garbage earmarks attached? No good call there.