Sarah Palin

YASNY

Honestly, if he picked pawlenty he'd be having a much better convention. With Gustav clearing it would all have been been about the republicans right now. The media would still be talking about the successful economy up in Minnesota, the media had already largely vetted Pawlenty themselves. Instead, they bombed the media with a new governor from a state that has NOOOOOthing close to a media outlet that anyone pays attention to. And they are surprised the media is doing hardcore digging? They can't have been this blind, unless they hope this gender card they are playing is going to work.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things:

Pawlenty has something in his backgound that was going to get hammered, even worse then what we're seeing now.

Second, I said this yesterday:

Palin is to McCain as Harriet Myers is to GWB. They need to replace her TODAY. However, it's too late for McCain. This is his blunder that the RSO group was looking for.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
Pawlenty has something in his backgound that was going to get hammered, even worse then what we're seeing now.

are you saying that as a fact or as a hypothetical? I hadn't heard anything "horrible" about Pawlenty. (Not that I did a ton of research on him) Just the basic "ethical" issues we hear from almost every political figure.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
I took issue not with the idea that she was chosen because she was female - which is probably in part true - but the WAY you said it.

Ah, I should have said spare X chromosome instead and not gone charging straight away for the genitalia. My bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:10 AM)
telecomm stuff?

Something. I don't know exactly, but there's a crumbling skeleton in his closet, because there's no way that McCain was going to take all this abuse for solely a female on the ticket.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:09 AM)
I don't think you can even get a good journalism job with that but I could be mistaken, it may be an awesome journalism school.

I majored in radio broadcasting at Columbia College. I am proud to announce I will be running for president of the united states in 2032 at the age of 49.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:13 AM)
I'm curious to know how much of this stuff will blow over in a couple weeks and ultimately not matter.

Like I said, some of this stuff is over the top and is just part of the download data dump on all of us. But the Trooper-gate stuff will stick around unless she and McCain prevail in getting it shutdown until after the election. Some of her "god's will" stuff will get some fodder, but that will only rally the GOP base. Her lack of experience will stick around for a long time as well.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
Like I said, some of this stuff is over the top and is just part of the download data dump on all of us. But the Trooper-gate stuff will stick around unless she and McCain prevail in getting it shutdown until after the election. Some of her "god's will" stuff will get some fodder, but that will only rally the GOP base. Her lack of experience will stick around for a long time as well.

The net effect of her "lack of experience" is moot... there is some blatant hypocrisy on the far sides of both ends on that one. From the parts of the GOP convention I saw, they were still hitting Obama on that.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Please forgive me for opening this thread. It was a mistake.

Ha, this is the 2nd Palin thread...

she is mean for allowing aerial hunting, and thinking wolves will not become endangered though...

Edited by DABearSoX

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)

she is a b**** for allowing aerial hunting, and thinking wolves will not become endangered though...

Lay off that word and personal attacks.

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)

she is a b**** for allowing aerial hunting, and thinking wolves will not become endangered though...

I can't help but to think of President Camacho in "Idiocracy" when I saw the photo of her in fur coats and holding a machine gun. WTF is wrong with our country?

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)

Well, let's try and stay above resorting to name calling. It's not needed.

I think the Palin debate about motherhood and whether you can have it all (in terms of a family and a prestigious career) is pretty interesting. You have a woman that returned to work 3 days after giving birth and has 4 (I think) minor children. It's been interesting to follow reaction to that on both sides of the aisle.

Of course the most interesting question is if those types of questions would be asked if she was a man.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
I think the Palin debate about motherhood and whether you can have it all (in terms of a family and a prestigious career) is pretty interesting. You have a woman that returned to work 3 days after giving birth and has 4 (I think) minor children. It's been interesting to follow reaction to that on both sides of the aisle.

Of course the most interesting question is if those types of questions would be asked if she was a man.

You know, even my wife asked that, and then admitted it was kind of sexist. I think a lot of it has to do with peoples' perceptions of a woman's role in the family.

My response to her was that it was her choice whether she thought she could handle it or not, and if she figured she could, she made plenty enough money to make sure her family was taken care of, even though she might be too busy to be around her youngest all the time.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)

Especially anything related to her daughter, I'd expect the answer to be no. On top of that add in anyone who's freaking out over how big her family is or how she's supposed to juggle taking care of them with the demands of the VP job. Etc.

On the other hand though, I'm still wondering how the media would have reacted had someone like Chelsea gotten pregnant at age 17. That would have been a tabloid explosion if nothing else...they just loved covering her.

It's probably also worth thinking about whether or not she'd be having the same discussion if she had a 17 year old son who was having a child instead of a daughter.

Well I'm going to stay out of saying all of my thoughts, because it's pretty clear people here can't discuss Palin without crossing the lines of decency. But I will say that I thought the moment this selection was made that it be either boom or bust, with no in between. It SEEMS like bust right now, but athomeboy made the good point that the fact all of this has hit us at once in a 4 day span, rather than be spread out like it is with most politicians, doesn't help her cause. The GOP would have been better announcing this a few weeks or a month ago and seeing what happened, as it would have given them the option of changing the ticket if Palin didn't work well. But it's too late for that now, and they must just live in the bed which they made and hope it works out.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Well I'm going to stay out of saying all of my thoughts, because it's pretty clear people here can't discuss Palin without crossing the lines of decency. But I will say that I thought the moment this selection was made that it be either boom or bust, with no in between. It SEEMS like bust right now

I would argue it's really neither. It hasnt destroyed McCain yet. But it hasnt been a boom yet. Give it one week. We'll know then. let her talk. Let the Obama camp push back on her. See how it sits next Wednesday. If nothing has changed by next Wednesday, McCain may be sunk. Obama got too big of a bounce out of the convention.

Remember, Michelle Obama got 22 million views, 26 million saw Hillary, 24 million for Biden, and 38 million saw Obama. It's hard to move large numbers if the RNC gets half that. (I haven't seen numbers from last night. My guess is that Lieberman isnt exactly a great ratings draw).

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 3, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
I would argue it's really neither. It hasnt destroyed McCain yet. But it hasnt been a boom yet. Give it one week. We'll know then. let her talk. Let the Obama camp push back on her. See how it sits next Wednesday. If nothing has changed by next Wednesday, McCain may be sunk. Obama got too big of a bounce out of the convention.

Obama didn't actually get as big of a bounce as I expected for such a well executed speech, but your point is well taken. As for your point, it is 110 percent accurate. That is why I think they should have announced Palin a few weeks to a month ago if this is their strategy, see if it works or not. If they really knew all this was going to come out, i'd have been better to announce her, see how it goes, and if it doesn't work, you always have the "she has changed her mind and wants to drop out to support everything going on with her family back in Alaska" excuse.

Its been a long time since we've suspended anyone in the Buster, and I'd like to keep it that way. But these Palin threads, and other ones, have had a LOT of snark, name-calling and inappropriate remarks lately.

I'm throwing out this one warning - the next bulls*** like that I see, I'm deleting the post, and suspending the poster.

I've seen a lot of intelligent, solid discussion in this forum. You are all capable of it. Please stick to that.