Sarah Palin

YASNY

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is such a black and white answer. None of us can really pretend to understand Georgia/Russia and most can say it's a lot more delicate than we could admit. That statement is just absurdly dumb. Why are we puffing our chests with Russia? We could seriously screw over some allies that depend on their energy exports.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
First McCain with his "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" song and now this. WTF?!?!

If you didn't think the GOP is the party of war mongering then get out of your cave.

I wonder if she knows what a war with Russia would mean. Its time to break out the old Daisy H-bomb ad.

Plus I think if we bomb Russia, they won't be willing to help with Iran.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 09:43 PM)
Which is of course...exactly what Obama suggested we should be doing. And frankly, if we can get the guy...

That was my point. In the end I think Bhutto's husband won't be much of a deterrant as long as we can stop hitting so many civilians. In my opinion, dude's probably in power because we want him in power.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)
Please don't compare Iraq to Germany/Japan/Korea... that's a pet peeve of mine. That's comparing apples to a 75 degree day.

So you're saying that the Iraq war will grow nicely on a tree because of our military presences around the world?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
So you're saying that the Iraq war will grow nicely on a tree because of our military presences around the world?

I'm saying that there has been no formal end to a state-on-state conflict in Iraq nor will there probably ever be. The situation in Iraq is completely different.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
First McCain with his "Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran" song and now this. WTF?!?!

If you didn't think the GOP is the party of war mongering then get out of your cave.

In other parts she was confused when asked if she ageed with the Bush Doctrine (pre-emptive strikes against potentially dangerous countries). She didnt know what his doctrine was. She kinda stumbled around it until Gibson had to tell her what it was.

GIBSON: Do you agree with the Bush doctrine?

PALIN: In what respect, Charlie?

That is wha you say when you have NO idea what they are talking about. Make them give you something to work with. If Gibson had shut up, she'd have had no answer.

And when asked about her national security credentials, she said it was "energy independence". That makes me feel soooo much safer from say.... North Korea which has no oil.

The video can be seen here. She didnt look very good. He line right before Gibson having to explain it to her sounds SO canned and practiced.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

This one may actually take the cake:

GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?

PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.

So, we can see them at at a distance. That gives us incite. I tend to think our spy satellites do a far better job than a man on an island with binoculars.

I think there's a lot of manufactured outrage over this interview already. I've seen bits and pieces. What I've seen, she doesn't look particularly good. I don't think she looked egregiously bad either. She didn't threaten war against Russia. She didn't rule it out, either... but it was kind of a wikipedia answer to the situation.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:08 PM)
I think there's a lot of manufactured outrage over this interview already. I've seen bits and pieces. What I've seen, she doesn't look particularly good. I don't think she looked egregiously bad either. She didn't threaten war against Russia. She didn't rule it out, either... but it was kind of a wikipedia answer to the situation.

I'd agree, except for that bit AHB posted right above you. It didn't seem to be said tongue-in-cheek. It seems like she honestly believes Alaska's geographic proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)

Most big-league politicians would've fouled that changeup off.

That is wha you say when you have NO idea what they are talking about. Make them give you something to work with. If Gibson had shut up, she'd have had no answer.

No, that's what you say when you want the questioneer to be a bit more specific so you don't get caught up in a gotcha moment.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 01:46 AM)

No, that's what you say when you want the questioneer to be a bit more specific so you don't get caught up in a gotcha moment.

If you knew what the Bush Doctrine was it absolutely specific enough.

Do you agree with the Monroe doctrine?

Andrew Jackson: In what respect?

Do you agree with that policy?

Andrew Jackson: Like?

GIBSON: You said recently, in your old church, “Our national leaders are sending U.S. soldiers on a task that is from God.” Are we fighting a holy war?

PALIN: You know, I don’t know if that was my exact quote.

GIBSON: Exact words.

PALIN: But the reference there is a repeat of Abraham Lincoln’s words when he said — first, he suggested never presume to know what God’s will is, and I would never presume to know God’s will or to speak God’s words.

But what Abraham Lincoln had said, and that’s a repeat in my comments, was let us not pray that God is on our side in a war or any other time, but let us pray that we are on God’s side.

That’s what that comment was all about, Charlie.

GIBSON: I take your point about Lincoln’s words, but you went on and said, “There is a plan and it is God’s plan.”

Ok, her exact quote was this:

“Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [u.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God,” she exhorted the congregants. “That’s what we have to make sure that we’re praying for, that there is a plan and that that plan is God’s plan.”

Nice of him to truncate what she said so that it sounds really bad. Maybe this should have been in the media bias theread? "

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
oh, right, this complete puff piece interview by Gibson was UNFAIR to Palin. Give me a break.

Keep your blinders on to the words i wrote, that's fine. Do you deny that he misstated what she actually said there?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 11, 2008 -> 07:17 PM)
Most big-league politicians would've fouled that changeup off.

exactly. Here's what an experienced politician says:

GIBSON: And under the NATO treaty, wouldn't we then have to go to war if Russia went into Georgia?

POLITICIAN: Well, obviously going to war is a last resort. No one wants to send our troops into harms way. We need to keep the pressure on Russia and help build up the young democracies that have chosen to choose a different path from Russia. Only under the absolute worst of scenarios would armed conflict be an option.

Palin: Well, yea. We might need to go to war.

Wrong answer!

Unless of course she actually BELIEVES we should go to war with Russia and that is more disturbing a political rookie than not knowing how to answer the question politically.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 12, 2008 -> 01:15 AM)
Keep your blinders on to the words i wrote, that's fine. Do you deny that he misstated what she actually said there?

So, she could just re-clarify what she said. What a difficult job for her.