Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist

Steve9347

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
I never said we're f***ed :P

I will say this...the more time passes, the more I appreciate 2005.

Well I'll say it: We're f***ed. You can't lose your best everyday player in early September during a tight race and expect good things. I hope Griff, Kong, and Swish step up and prove me wrong, but just feels like a disaster.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 08:11 PM)
Well I'll say it: We're f***ed. You can't lose your best everyday player in early September during a tight race and expect good things. I hope Griff, Kong, and Swish step up and prove me wrong, but just feels like a disaster.

it does, no way around that really. quentin has come through time and time again this year. his numbers are no doubt great, but to me that's secondary to when he's accrued them. it seems like he has delivered in key situations again and again. that can't be replaced.

at the same time, at least there are viable options. if you don't make the griffey trade you are looking at seeing a lot of anderson/owens in the line-up. while i do like anderson i am not confident he's the guy who can step it up in a pennant race. at the least you insert a veteran first-ballot hall of famer who has shown he can get on hot streaks. so that gives me a little hope.

false hope? perhaps. but it beats none at all.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
it does, no way around that really. quentin has come through time and time again this year. his numbers are no doubt great, but to me that's secondary to when he's accrued them. it seems like he has delivered in key situations again and again. that can't be replaced.

at the same time, at least there are viable options. if you don't make the griffey trade you are looking at seeing a lot of anderson/owens in the line-up. while i do like anderson i am not confident he's the guy who can step it up in a pennant race. at the least you insert a veteran first-ballot hall of famer who has shown he can get on hot streaks. so that gives me a little hope.

false hope? perhaps. but it beats none at all.

It's not false hope, the team right now CAN beat out the Twins. Will they? Who knows, it did get a lot harder without CQ, but I believe they still can.

As I posted earlier, first and foremost the pitching has to step it up. If they pitch like they have been, it wouldn't have mattered if they had mid 90's Frank in the lineup, they still wouldn't win the division.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
i think we should go young move Alexei to center put getz in a second he is a good left hand hitting fielder that has good numbers against both righties and lefties. Keep Brian out there and our defense is better.. Power is gone a little but we need to start playing like pyranna and start taking the ball the way it is pitched.. Opposite field. It is amazing that a broken wrist is found 5 or six days after it was originally xrayed.. That doesn't make sense. Now a pin how incompetent is our med staff

QUOTE (forrestg @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
i think we should go young move Alexei to center put getz in a second he is a good left hand hitting fielder that has good numbers against both righties and lefties. Keep Brian out there and our defense is better.. Power is gone a little but we need to start playing like pyranna and start taking the ball the way it is pitched.. Opposite field. It is amazing that a broken wrist is found 5 or six days after it was originally xrayed.. That doesn't make sense. Now a pin how incompetent is our med staff

It's very common to miss certain types of fractures on X-rays. An MR scan or CT scan is necessary to find them.

the Sox are a veteran team. They'll pick up the pace with Quentin out. They can use this as a rallying point for the final 23. None of these vets are going to like being told they don't have a chance without Quentin. MB needs to set the tone with a shut down pitching performance tonight.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
Why not Griffey LF, Swisher CF?

because it's Ozzie. I know that is a s***ty reason, but what other logical one is there? Now, I haven't seen the official lineup, so maybe I'm jumping the gun, but a poster in the gamethread mentioned it.

The only way I could have defended it is if Swisher's batting numbers increase dramatically when he plays a corner outfield, but screw that, he's a far better option in CF right now than sticking Griffey out there

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 02:35 PM)
Sun Times says he punched a locker in Boston.

Tribune says it happened on a swing and a miss against Cliff Lee.

MLB.com says it happened in the Cleveland game on Monday, but doesn't describe how it happened.