Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist

Steve9347

QUOTE (CQMVP @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Well, let's look at the bright side. We have remained in first place all year without Paul Konerko playing...(even when he played, up until August, he might as well have not been there). Now Paulie is starting to really hit the ball well again, and CQ is out. We will be fine, as long as our PITCHING doesn't s*** the bed. Paulie has really stepped it up lately. Oh, and for f***'s sake, could Nick Swisher start hitting something?

Looks like someone's going to have to change their SN. ;)

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All that really matters is Linebrink needs to be good again and in a hurry, Danks must get back to where he was, Buerhle needs to step it up, Vazquez has to stay where he's been the past few starts, Floyd must continue to battle and they better get something out of Richard. With Griffey in CF, their jobs become a little more difficult.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
All that really matters is Linebrink needs to be good again and in a hurry, Danks must get back to where he was, Buerhle needs to step it up, Vazquez has to stay where he's been the past few starts, Floyd must continue to battle and they better get something out of Richard.

And the pen needs to get their heads on right too. This team is obviously a little weaker without CQ...but like some have said, Paulie's starting to swing the bat and if JD gets on one of his hot streaks...he can carry this team. We'll need some consistant production from everybody though. Sometimes adversity brings out the best in people...instead of standing around watching and trying to match CQ's output...they MIGHT just regain a little form. Talent-wise...this team is still VERY formidable...but I think they need to change the approach at the plate and do more corner to corner instead of going for the Downs every at bat.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:09 PM)
If this is true, I lose any respect I had for him. That's not passion. That's being a f***ing idiot.

i agree that it's stupid to punch a wall (if that's what happened) but to "lose any respect" is a bit much. guys go off in many ways when you fail at the game, more than fans will ever know. it's unfortunate if this is what happened here but i think this type of judgment is a bit extreme. was it dumb? yes. was it over-the-top ridiculous and unheard of? not even close.

Carlos is our best player, and obvioulsy we're worse for his selfish injury, but this is where the remaining players will have to compensate. Don't complain or whine. I don't even want to hear excuses if we miss the playoffs. You're 1 1/2 games ahead of Minnesota, and still have the remainder of the lineup. Man up.

Who's to say he wouldn't have had a month similar to June (.266/.381/.849)? Obviously, even these numbers aren't bad and highlight his talent; but it's certaintly obtainable for Griffey. As others have suggested, this is where he needs to begin playing like a f***ing ballplayer. If he decides not to show up, perhaps two players can have stellar months and compensate for Quentin. It's possible.

If we miss the playoffs it won't be because Carlos wasn't here. His absence can be overcome. If Griffey hits .250/.340/.790 in 95 ABs, which isn't outrageous, this comes out to 25 hits. In perspective, only FIVE more hits brings you up to .320. Obviously the difference in scoring opportunities/XBH/game situations will decide whether Carlos would have made a noticeable difference in the standings, but what I'm ultimately suggesting is it's not impossible to overcome this. It's not three months of Carlos' absence but one month.

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
Here we are in the stretch run and this could really hurt us. The rest of the guys are going to have to pick it up a notch.

I'd be more upset if it were one of our starters. There are eight other ballplayers to compensate for Carlos.

If they fall apart offensively, it's going to be a choke in my mind. Swisher should do one of his crazy dancing antics to loosen everything up. Obviously they had offensive issues even with him, but if you're any of the White Sox players, your mindset has to be "this is the playoffs." Play with that kind of intensity.

The official word is Q fouled off a pitch from Cliff Lee , wasn't happy he fouled it off and did what he always does : holding the bat in his left hand he basically punches the sweet spot of the bat with his right hand. I saw the exact replay and I didn't notice if it was palm open or closed fist but he probably missed the part of his hand he wanted to hit the bat with coming too close to the wrist.

The surgery is the fastest way they can deal with the injury and leaves open the option of returning for the postseason if everything falls into place .

Heal well and quickly Q and "GO SOX" . Start off the homestand on the right foot and kick some rookie pitcher ass tonight.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Does anyone have video of this at bat? I'd be interested in seeing it. Sounds like Q needs a tall glass of milk to help strengthen those bones. I have some white liquid I could give him. As long as he doesn't ask questions...we'll be fine.

Oh, and I'm surprised how no one has mentioned this brilliant piece of strategy by Q. Knowing that this team needed something to rally behind to push us into the playoffs and eventually the World Series, he breaks his wrist on purpose, knowing it will heal quickly in time for him to hit the game winning HR to win the pennant. What a story! Comeback player of the year, MVP, I know he's not a rookie, but let's give him that too!!! Brilliant Carlos! God Damn Brilliant.

QUOTE (oralsoxpodcast @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
Does anyone have video of this at bat? I'd be interested in seeing it. Sounds like Q needs a tall glass of milk to help strengthen those bones. I have some white liquid I could give him. As long as he doesn't ask questions...we'll be fine.

Oh, and I'm surprised how no one has mentioned this brilliant piece of strategy by Q. Knowing that this team needed something to rally behind to push us into the playoffs and eventually the World Series, he breaks his wrist on purpose, knowing it will heal quickly in time for him to hit the game winning HR to win the pennant. What a story! Comeback player of the year, MVP, I know he's not a rookie, but let's give him that too!!! Brilliant Carlos! God Damn Brilliant.

I was thinking he might require your services after injuring his right hand/wrist.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
The official word is Q fouled off a pitch from Cliff Lee , wasn't happy he fouled it off and did what he always does : holding the bat in his left hand he basically punches the sweet spot of the bat with his right hand. I saw the exact replay and I didn't notice if it was palm open or closed fist but he probably missed the part of his hand he wanted to hit the bat with coming too close to the wrist.

The surgery is the fastest way they can deal with the injury and leaves open the option of returning for the postseason if everything falls into place .

Heal well and quickly Q and "GO SOX" . Start off the homestand on the right foot and kick some rookie pitcher ass tonight.

After reading quotes from Carlos it was with a closed fist.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
Can someone confirm that they said no long-term damage is expected?

There will be no long term effects unless there is a non-union fracture which with his age and health is very unlikely.

The mechanism of hitting the bat is a likely scenario for the injury. Fracturing the scaphoid (the bone I think is involved) is done with a blow to the base of the palm. This would be like hitting the bat.

Hopefully the Sox can pull this off. There would be nothing better than squeezing into the playoffs just in time for a healed carlos Quentin to return to the lineup. I'm just really bummed that we will have to watch all these games played without him. I wish him the best, and hope for a speedy and full recovery.

QUOTE (chisoxdavid @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
So there is still hope that Carlos can heal for the playoffs?

Maybe the ALCS if they make it that far and if he gets all the breaks (pun intended) with healing. But I wouldn't count on it.