Knee problem question

DABearSoX

I had ACL reconstructive surgery more than 5 years ago. I also had some cartilage trimmed at the same time Every once in awhile I will be walking normally and my knee will feel like it goes out of alignment. I hear/feel a little crack/pop (nothing like the initial pop when I originally tore the ACL) Afterwords the knee will swell a little bit and it will hurt for 2-3 weeks. This happens maybe once every 4-6 months and is really a pain in the butt. It happened again this morning and I will have pain and a slight limp for a few weeks now and I am not looking forward to it.

So I guess what I am asking is, why is my knee doing this? This never happend before I had the surgery. It never happens when I am running or being tough on it, its just happens when I am normally walking and it seems to go out of alignment (feels like my knee cap shifts or something).

I have knee problems similar to yours that so far several doctors can't explain. I had surgery on both of them over the years, and while the docs say everything inside is fine, my right one occasionally just locks up. I can be sitting, and when i try to stand up, it won't straighten, and if I don't catch myself, i fall over. And it hurts when it does that. And like yours, sometimes is just seems to pop out or something for just a sec, and then hurts like hell for a few days. Good luck, I know your pain.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 6, 2008 -> 01:32 AM)
I have knee problems similar to yours that so far several doctors can't explain. I had surgery on both of them over the years, and while the docs say everything inside is fine, my right one occasionally just locks up. I can be sitting, and when i try to stand up, it won't straighten, and if I don't catch myself, i fall over. And it hurts when it does that. And like yours, sometimes is just seems to pop out or something for just a sec, and then hurts like hell for a few days. Good luck, I know your pain.

I asked ptatc about it and he hit it right on the head...

There are a couple of things that could cause this. The most likely is the patella (kneecap) could be getting hung up on some scar tissue and pop over it. This will cause the fluid build up and the soreness.

Check to see if the soreness is on the inside of the patella. this could make the diagnosis. Also check to see if the muscle of the inside of the knee looks the same as the the other side if they are both tightened up at the same time.

There is a portion of the muscle called the Vastus Medialis Obliqus which can become weak and cause the patella to not move correctly thus the pop and swelling.

I look at all this and say "was that game of high school intermural basketball really worth it"

QUOTE (DABearSoX @ Sep 5, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
I look at all this and say "was that game of high school intermural basketball really worth it"

That's what I did my last one as well (well, college intermural)! I was on a breakaway going to dunk the ball (I could do it, but had never done it in a game) and I hit a loose floorboard. Wipeout! Messed the other one up playimg tennis.

Edited by Alpha Dog